Mike Olt dfa'd by Cubs, claimed by White Sox

Bob Sacamano

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Sep 1, 2015 -> 12:27 AM)
Much prefer to stick with Saladino and see what he can do for the rest of the season.

in a way i agree. i would rather see saladino really get a try out at 3b. but then again, in this time, he has shown to me, that he can handle the position he is playing.

claim him, and don't play him until spring.

QUOTE (daggins @ Sep 1, 2015 -> 01:07 AM)
He's not way better, he is just Davidson but older. A year from now they'll probably both be looking for a job with some AAA team.

considering how empty the systems is, i would take a chance of 1 yr fix as Conor Gillaspie.

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 31, 2015 -> 08:06 PM)
in a way i agree. i would rather see saladino really get a try out at 3b. but then again, in this time, he has shown to me, that he can handle the position he is playing.

claim him, and don't play him until spring.

I see what you're saying. I just prefer to not use a roster spot on Olt in hopes maybe the Sox get a 3B over the winter to compete with Saladino in ST next year. Maybe (hopefully) even find a permanent 3B and give Saladino a shot at SS.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Aug 31, 2015 -> 09:10 PM)
I see what you're saying. I just prefer to not use a roster spot on Olt in hopes maybe the Sox get a 3B over the winter to compete with Saladino in ST next year. Maybe (hopefully) even find a permanent 3B and give Saladino a shot at SS.

Huh? Having a guy like Olt on the roster would not stop them from being able to upgrade the position in the offseason. If they claimed him soon and kept him into the offseason and they ended up trading Q in a deal for a young 3B MLB ready player, for example), then Olt can be dfa'd.

And I agree about Saladino at short. Cheap stop-gap as opposed to picking up Alexei's option and I've been pushing for this.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Aug 31, 2015 -> 09:23 PM)
Huh? Having a guy like Olt on the roster would not stop them from being able to upgrade the position in the offseason. If they claimed him soon and kept him into the offseason and they ended up trading Q in a deal for a young 3B MLB ready player, for example), then Olt can be dfa'd.

And I agree about Saladino at short. Cheap stop-gap as opposed to picking up Alexei's option and I've been pushing for this.

Or the Sox can just not bother with Olt in the first place. Sorry, just cannot get on board with the idea of of acquiring a 27 year old AAAA player that has failed every time he's been given a chance in the majors. Over all, Gillaspie has had more success in the majors and most Sox fans could not wait for his time in Chicago to be over with.

IMO. Saladino at 3B with Alexei at SS is better than Saladino at SS and Olt at 3B.

The fact that this is a thread on September 1st this season depresses me.

Also the fact that he could probably slot in play at 3B on this team also depresses me.

Saladino is a utility player, have we not all realized this yet? I think it's so blatantly obvious. Even if we don't keep Alexei next year he shouldn't start. It should be Sanchez and Micah up the middle and someone entirely different at 3B.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Sep 1, 2015 -> 01:58 PM)
The fact that this is a thread on September 1st this season depresses me.

Also the fact that he could probably slot in play at 3B on this team also depresses me.

Saladino is a utility player, have we not all realized this yet? I think it's so blatantly obvious. Even if we don't keep Alexei next year he shouldn't start. It should be Sanchez and Micah up the middle and someone entirely different at 3B.

I don't think there's any obvious reason to believe that Sanchez would be a more effective SS, offensively and defensively, than Saladino. Maybe he's a more solid bat but I'll definitely expect Tyler to be a better defender, at least if they both played SS.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 1, 2015 -> 01:00 PM)
I don't think there's any obvious reason to believe that Sanchez would be a more effective SS, offensively and defensively, than Saladino. Maybe he's a more solid bat but I'll definitely expect Tyler to be a better defender, at least if they both played SS.

Both seem to have great range and instincts. I think Saladino has a MUCH better arm.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 1, 2015 -> 01:05 PM)
Both seem to have great range and instincts. I think Saladino has a MUCH better arm.

Definitely. The only question with each is are they going to hit? Sometimes it's easy to say no way, sometimes you have to think something is there. On the board the other day it said Sanchez led AL rookies in doubles. Considering how long it took him to get hits, that's pretty impressive. Saladino has struggled lately, but if we judge everyone by their first few hundred plate appearances, we would be right a lot, but miss out on some really good hitters.