Importance of a Top Draft Pick

AlSoxfan

QUOTE (LDF @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 02:28 PM)
the slotted money with bonus money is now the discussion. this conversation is really taking a life of its own.

i do not know the answers for the salary cap nor do i have the answers for the CBA..... if you do, tell me, per articles and numbered sentences .... instead of using a statement to make yourself look good.

this show me kind of interrogations is a little tiring.

if any of us have the answers, we should be working for the baseball org. .

i still maintains, take the BPA available is the way to go....

if you say that is unreasonable..... and special agreements needs to agreed to ...... so what is the difference of now vs 10 yrs ago???

by the way, you are still not answering and diverting questions asked.

People have been explaining these concepts to you for pages. Past that, there is nothing anyone else can do to help you.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LDF @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 02:33 PM)
players in the first round #1 pick and the players chosen on the #15 pick in the first round.... the money is different.

you can not arbitrarily use a blanket statement as the answer for all question in the draft.

plus i am not talking about bonus money.

You might not think you are, but yes you are. Players are no longer allowed to sign anything but a standard minor league contract. There is no negotiation beyond the bonus money.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 08:39 PM)
People have been explaining these concepts to you for pages. Past that, there is nothing anyone else can do to help you.

what has they been explaining.... not taking the BPA????

that still is the same thing of when the sox avoided picking Scott B clients b/c they wanted more money than anyone else???

i am saying that this... all this has been fixed with the salary cap for the draft with slotted money.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 08:40 PM)
You might not think you are, but yes you are. Players are no longer allowed to sign anything but a standard minor league contract. There is no negotiation beyond the bonus money.

and do you really believe that????

and they do have have have a sport agent to help in the contract negotiations.

QUOTE (LDF @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 02:42 PM)
what has they been explaining.... not taking the BPA????

that still is the same thing of when the sox avoided picking Scott B clients b/c they wanted more money than anyone else???

i am saying that this... all this has been fixed with the salary cap for the draft with slotted money.

Exactly, which helps the Sox so much more.

Years ago, Sox wouldn't of taken Rodon because of his salary demands. With the allotted amount at each pick, it makes it easier for teams like the Sox to pick Rodon regardless who the agent is.

Yet, continuing to take BPA in other rounds is not possible because of salary demands from HS players because of the allotted money at the pick. You will lose that money if you do not sign that player through rounds 2-10, so it doesn't make sense to select a player that will not accept the slot money at that given pick past round 1.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 08:47 PM)
Exactly, which helps the Sox so much more.

Years ago, Sox wouldn't of taken Rodon because of his salary demands. With the allotted amount at each pick, it makes it easier for teams like the Sox to pick Rodon regardless who the agent is.

Yet, continuing to take BPA in other rounds is not possible because of salary demands from HS players because of the allotted money at the pick. You will lose that money if you do not sign that player through rounds 2-10, so it doesn't make sense to select a player that will not accept the slot money at that given pick past round 1.

but even to the last draft, some posters were talking about the bpa idea.

here is a question, beyond a certain round, it is all a crap shot.... so at what round should the BPA should be abandon???

QUOTE (LDF @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 02:51 PM)

here is a question, beyond a certain round, it is all a crap shot.... so at what round should the BPA should be abandon???

Each pick is not made in isolation. What each pick is slotted for and signing for affects what you can offer to the rest of your picks. Again, take Zangnari. Because we went over slot with him as BPA, we had to take players who were not BPA and would sign underslot in later picks. It was either that or forfeit future draft picks.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 07:54 PM)
Tell me what else there is.

and that comes full circle. with the little things i am concertinaing on is not the full answer. it has to go with a idea, a strategy that the org FO has to but into. the BPA..... does that really work??

last draft Cameron went in the comp pick area.... was he not the BPA somewhere in the first round???

for me and my point of view... maybe, but the sox needed alot of help and there was a criteria of pirioties that the org knows.

you take the BPA per your org needs and in the later rounds, they have to do the best that they can.

there is not going to be the right answer or wrong ones and when people are involve, there is always going to be different ideas.

they should stick to their game plan.... and to go for it. roll the dice. esp in the first 3 rounds, for me..... now someone may think it should be 4 or 5 rnds. so who knows what ever round.

some agent and player is going to play russian roulette with the slotted money.... i just hope it is not the sox.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 07:57 PM)
Each pick is not made in isolation. What each pick is slotted for and signing for affects what you can offer to the rest of your picks. Again, take Zangnari. Because we went over slot with him as BPA, we had to take players who were not BPA and would sign underslot in later picks. It was either that or forfeit future draft picks.

this is what you are responding to.

ldf

so all that is again back to the sox org and FO.

i can't stress to strongly, there are not right answer.

QUOTE (LDF @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 03:03 PM)
and that comes full circle. with the little things i am concertinaing on is not the full answer. it has to go with a idea, a strategy that the org FO has to but into. the BPA..... does that really work??

last draft Cameron went in the comp pick area.... was he not the BPA somewhere in the first round???

for me and my point of view... maybe, but the sox needed alot of help and there was a criteria of pirioties that the org knows.

you take the BPA per your org needs and in the later rounds, they have to do the best that they can.

there is not going to be the right answer or wrong ones and when people are involve, there is always going to be different ideas.

they should stick to their game plan.... and to go for it. roll the dice. esp in the first 3 rounds, for me..... now someone may think it should be 4 or 5 rnds. so who knows what ever round.

some agent and player is going to play russian roulette with the slotted money.... i just hope it is not the sox.

This is a complete non-answer. What else is there besides money and contract status that you are worried about negotiations over.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 08:15 PM)
This is a complete non-answer. What else is there besides money and contract status that you are worried about negotiations over.

and is there anything else.... this is the answer.. and as i said, there is no final answer... just opinions and the org needs to have a game plan.

again, i will say take the BPA in the first round, may 2nd and then that is the end of my knowledge of that yrs draft.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 08:16 PM)
It has been proven over and over again that a team cannot pick BPA in each round. It literally will not work.

pls read the post you are answering to, what can i answer... i am not advocating BPA in each round. i have said that several time already.... did you not read it????

QUOTE (LDF @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 03:03 PM)

Teams didn't take Cameron because he wanted nearly $5 million. Astros were one of only teams with budget to do it. They did it.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 11, 2015 -> 04:46 AM)
Teams didn't take Cameron because he wanted nearly $5 million. Astros were one of only teams with budget to do it. They did it.

so this goes to the coined phrase of take the BPA. so what does that mean of drafting and the sox making the selections on next yr draft. are posters going to keep telling others to take the BPA???

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 9, 2015 -> 07:19 AM)
Point is, the club is doing some very different things now than they were just three years ago (or 2 or 4) on the amateur side. People seem to think the club is still just drafting either Walker/Mitchell types or Broadway types. That simply isn't true.

That's encouraging. Now if we can just get rid of Buddy Bell I'll believe real change in player development is underfoot. Until then, no.

QUOTE (LDF @ Sep 11, 2015 -> 06:00 AM)
so this goes to the coined phrase of take the BPA. so what does that mean of drafting and the sox making the selections on next yr draft. are posters going to keep telling others to take the BPA???

Nobody says this. Just you. It's not possible in the baseball draft. Sure, in the first round you'd like to take the best player if possible but the MLB draft is very strategic.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 11, 2015 -> 04:23 PM)
Nobody says this. Just you. It's not possible in the baseball draft. Sure, in the first round you'd like to take the best player if possible but the MLB draft is very strategic.

it is obvious that you do not have your facts.

look at the thread of the last draft.

their were some posters who were very insistent on dafting BPA.... better yet, look at this thread, it was mentioned several times.

so get your fact right.

now when posters state BPA, they should have some stipulations to that statement.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 11, 2015 -> 04:37 PM)
In the new system, it shouldn't be seen as BPA (Best Player Available) at every pick. It should be BDA (Best Draft Available) across all picks.

and i have stated, depending on the needs of the team. of course the FO will have a better idea of what is needed.

btw, i agree with you.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (LDF @ Sep 11, 2015 -> 10:41 AM)
it is obvious that you do not have your facts.

look at the thread of the last draft.

their were some posters who were very insistent on dafting BPA.... better yet, look at this thread, it was mentioned several times.

so get your fact right.

now when posters state BPA, they should have some stipulations to that statement.

Those posters are wrong too. It's not possible.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 11, 2015 -> 10:46 AM)
Those posters are wrong too. It's not possible.

More specifically, people were talking BPA in terms of a high first round pick. In that case, yeah, you almost always do that. Unless you have some sort of ability to shuffle money around to do something complex, especially if you have comp picks. But for the Sox, 1st round this year, BPA was the clear way to go.

ok, nice post NSS72...

i am done... but something just pop up.

now with the idea of BPA depending on the needs of the team.

if during the draft, it is apparent that several pitchers is slated to fall to your pick, and the teams needs or positional.... won't it still be best to draft the pitcher and use the excess of pitchers in a trade.

but on a sidenote, if the other teams knows you need a positional player, wouldn't it be the best for them to ask for more in order to make the trade...

so what will be the smart thing to do???

QUOTE (LDF @ Sep 11, 2015 -> 12:18 PM)
ok, nice post NSS72...

i am done... but something just pop up.

now with the idea of BPA depending on the needs of the team.

if during the draft, it is apparent that several pitchers is slated to fall to your pick, and the teams needs or positional.... won't it still be best to draft the pitcher and use the excess of pitchers in a trade.

but on a sidenote, if the other teams knows you need a positional player, wouldn't it be the best for them to ask for more in order to make the trade...

so what will be the smart thing to do???

In that framework, yes, you want BPA and not positional need. You never draft for positional need, at least not in like the first 10 rounds (late in the draft you do end up going for evening out depth to a certain extent). So whether or not your team needs pitching or catching or shortstops, you draft the most valuable overall players you can. And it isn't primarily because of trading - it is just the nature of baseball and that even good prospects typically take a few years to reach the majors and your team needs will change in the interim. It isn't like football or basketball.