My/Your Off Season Plan

GGajewski18

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 11, 2015 -> 06:59 AM)
Nobody said he was. But a full year of him would undoubtedly improve our pitching.

Agreed and a healthy Jones could mean the Sox save some money by not trying to re-sign Albers. A little savings here and there can help in other areas.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Sep 11, 2015 -> 01:54 AM)
In the year MLB broke the projections I have to love your incessantly gleeful "told you so!" message.

Seriously, the Mets, Yankees and Cubs are laughing at not only the Sox but also your myopic view of the data that confirms your hypothesis about not only Avi but this Sox team.. We can't really predict MLB teams. What we can say is that there are good teams and bad ones. The Sox have been awful for 5+ years. Fire the f***ing men responsible.

Projections systems aren't perfect, but they're useful. They're actually much better at an individual player level than they are for teams. And I wasn't even on about projections systems in the first place. Just Avi being awful.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Sep 11, 2015 -> 01:54 AM)
In the year MLB broke the projections I have to love your incessantly gleeful "told you so!" message.

Seriously, the Mets, Yankees and Cubs are laughing at not only the Sox but also your myopic view of the data that confirms your hypothesis about not only Avi but this Sox team.. We can't really predict MLB teams. What we can say is that there are good teams and bad ones. The Sox have been awful for 5+ years. Fire the f***ing men responsible.

Be careful. Someone might question your fandom.

Three consecutive years of mediocrity is unacceptable. 8 of 9 years is pathetic.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Sep 12, 2015 -> 02:02 PM)
So I noticed a lot of "extend QO to Shark for the pick" on this thread, but what if he takes the QO? That's a distinct possibility at this point given how much he's damaged his value this season.

Not really. He damaged his value for sure, but he was looking at if not 9 figures, close to it before this year, and no injury. He isn't going to take a $15-17 million guarantee for one season.

Why would he think next year would be any different if he stayed in the same place? He is a goner and appparently both sides are ready to move on.

First off, my first move would be to part ways with Robin. This team is desperate for a new identity and culture. IMO, that begins with bringing in a manager with a plan of attack. Hopefully KW leaves for another opportunity, but assuming he returns, I'll pray he does some of the following this winter:

1) Offer Samardzija that QO. From everything I'm hearing, he will likely decline in an attempt to net a bigger deal else were. This means the White Sox obtain a first rounder. Keeping ALL of their picks in 2016 should be priority #1.

2) Decline the player option on Alexei and move on. He is well beyond his prime.

3) Trade from the teams strength (pitching). Many posters here have mentioned the idea of trading Quintana. He ideally can net a pretty solid return given his age, cost and production. In a perfect world you can fill two positions with such trade and the Sox have holes at 3B, SS, 2B, C, and RF. (I think Avi can improve but he has had a down year that makes many concerned)

4) Give the prospects a chance and start the process of seeing what you have in house.

5) Avoid the temptation of signing FAs unless you it does NOT sacrifice a draft pick.

6) focus on adding depth to the farm system. I would consider dealing valuable veterans like Cabrera and Robertson if it means adding needed prospects to farm to better increase the teams chances for 2018 and beyond.

With all the holes on this roster, I am more focused on adding prospect depth over MLB roster depth. This team needs to undergo a rebuild. This rebuild can be accelerated via trades and wise personelle decisions made by upper management. Unfortunately, I don't trust upper management anymore... The retooling will likely continue and the sub.500 mediocre baseball will commence on the Southside. Oy vey.....

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Sep 12, 2015 -> 02:42 PM)
First off, my first move would be to part ways with Robin. This team is desperate for a new identity and culture. IMO, that begins with bringing in a manager with a plan of attack. Hopefully KW leaves for another opportunity, but assuming he returns, I'll pray he does some of the following this winter:

1) Offer Samardzija that QO. From everything I'm hearing, he will likely decline in an attempt to net a bigger deal else were. This means the White Sox obtain a first rounder. Keeping ALL of their picks in 2016 should be priority #1.

2) Decline the player option on Alexei and move on. He is well beyond his prime.

3) Trade from the teams strength (pitching). Many posters here have mentioned the idea of trading Quintana. He ideally can net a pretty solid return given his age, cost and production. In a perfect world you can fill two positions with such trade and the Sox have holes at 3B, SS, 2B, C, and RF. (I think Avi can improve but he has had a down year that makes many concerned)

4) Give the prospects a chance and start the process of seeing what you have in house.

5) Avoid the temptation of signing FAs unless you it does NOT sacrifice a draft pick.

6) focus on adding depth to the farm system. I would consider dealing valuable veterans like Cabrera and Robertson if it means adding needed prospects to farm to better increase the teams chances for 2018 and beyond.

With all the holes on this roster, I am more focused on adding prospect depth over MLB roster depth. This team needs to undergo a rebuild. This rebuild can be accelerated via trades and wise personelle decisions made by upper management. Unfortunately, I don't trust upper management anymore... The retooling will likely continue and the sub.500 mediocre baseball will commence on the Southside. Oy vey.....

Pretty hard to do if the organization doesn't or can't follow it.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Sep 12, 2015 -> 02:42 PM)

I like this plan a lot.

This team is not a couple or even a few players away from contending, heroes to some they may be.

The Sox need desperately ...

a.) power bats. Anybody available from Cuba that the team could sign? Or is Viciedo gonna be ready for the comeback?

b.) bullpen. The bullpen is horrific. Can it be fixed?

c.) defense. The defense blows. Can it be fixed?

d.) Some righthanded veteran starting pitcher who can pitch effectively.

All four of these areas must be improved drastically.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 13, 2015 -> 07:47 PM)

a.) power bats. Anybody available from Cuba that the team could sign? Or is Viciedo gonna be ready for the comeback?

Our bullpen is not horrific.

Bullpen SIERAs (best pitching peripheral, what your ERA should be):

David Robertson: 1.97

Nate Jones: 2.02

Zach Putnam: 3.03

Zach Duke: 3.21

Dan Jennings: 3.31

Matt Albers: 3.39

Jake Petricka: 3.42

Webb has no business in the bullpen but that's a decent 7. As you say the defence blows and that coupled with some bad luck has meant some inflated ERAs.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Sep 13, 2015 -> 09:08 PM)

Webb has no business in the bullpen but that's a decent 7. As you say the defence blows and that coupled with some bad luck has meant some inflated ERAs.

What is Sale's SIERA if you don't mind looking?

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Sep 13, 2015 -> 09:08 PM)

God is the defense bad.

I wish they could sign Heyward for RF, pray Trayce's bat can carry in LF and Melky to DH. Problem is LaRoche and I doubt Hahn would have Avi start at AAA. Saladino-Alexei-Sanchez-Abreu makes a decent defensive INF.

Problems with what to do with Micah arise.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 13, 2015 -> 09:23 PM)
God is the defense bad.

I wish they could sign Heyward for RF, pray Trayce's bat can carry in LF and Melky to DH.

Fixing the defense (as well as finding a power bat) would be my first priority, but I'd much rather have Trayce in CF (or RF) depending on what you think of Eaton's D. I'd have Eaton in LF and Trayce's athleticism in CF and get a defensive RF who isn't terrible with the bat. If not.. stick Trayce I'm RF, leave Eaton in CF and get someone to replace Melky. This is why I was so adamant on why they're not playing Trayce everyday the rest of this year now to see what we've got.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Sep 13, 2015 -> 09:43 PM)
Fixing the defense (as well as finding a power bat) would be my first priority, but I'd much rather have Trayce in CF (or RF) depending on what you think of Eaton's D. I'd have Eaton in LF and Trayce's athleticism in CF and get a defensive RF who isn't terrible with the bat. If not.. stick Trayce I'm RF, leave Eaton in CF and get someone to replace Melky. This is why I was so adamant on why they're not playing Trayce everyday the rest of this year now to see what we've got.

I'm all for moving Trayce to CF and Eaton to LF. I think their bats can both play at those positions. I also think they can both be above average at both positions. This greatly improves the outfield defense. Gotta try to do something with Melky or Avi. The Sox can't trot this same awful outfield defense out there next year. It's flat out embarrassing.

Edited by ron883

1. Trade Tyler Saladino and Dan Jennings for Yangervis Solarte (Solid 2 WAR player, versatile, doesn't strikeout. Would like Gyro more but not sure if SD is gonna be willing to move him with the way he's performed as of late)

2. Trade Frankie Montas, Tyler Danish, and Tyler Flowers for Jonathan Lucroy (Legit catcher for years to come)

3. Resign Geo Soto 1/2.5M

5. QO to Shark, he accepts, trade Erik Johnson (50% chance). If declines, EJ is in your rotation

6. Sign Tony Sipp 2/8.5M

7. Buyout Alexei's option and resign for 1/6M

Lineup vs RHP (vs LHP in Parentheses)

1. Eaton CF

2. Lucroy C

3. Melky LF

4. Abreu 1B

5. LaRoche DH (Trayce Thompson RF)

6. Avi RF (DH)

7. Solarte 3B

8. Ramirez SS

9. Johnson 2B

Bench:

1. Soto

2. Sanchez

3. Trayce

4. Shuck

Rotation

1. Sale

2. Q

3. Rodon

4. Shark/EJ

5. Danks

Bullpen

CL Robertson

SU Jones

SU Petricka

MR Duke

MR Sipp

MR Putnam

MR Webb

This may be one of the worst position player free agency I have ever seen. Heyward, Cespedes, and Upton are going to be overpaid. So what I would do is extend the QO to Shark and pray he rejects it. Pickup the option on Alexi. Sign Jordan Zimmerman to a 6 year 120 million. It would suck having the same team as this year, but there are so many holes. Might as well see if Trayce, Micah, Tyler, or Avi can be an above average players. You have a rotation of Sale, Q, Zimmerman, Rodon, Johnson for the next five years. You Have Fullmer as insurance or trade bait. The pitching shoild at least make them competitive next year. You then have a ton of money coming off the books and pitching depth to trade from. My goal would be 2017.

QUOTE (frogsplash31 @ Sep 14, 2015 -> 12:20 AM)
This may be one of the worst position player free agency I have ever seen. Heyward, Cespedes, and Upton are going to be overpaid. So what I would do is extend the QO to Shark and pray he rejects it. Pickup the option on Alexi. Sign Jordan Zimmerman to a 6 year 120 million. It would suck having the same team as this year, but there are so many holes. Might as well see if Trayce, Micah, Tyler, or Avi can be an above average players. You have a rotation of Sale, Q, Zimmerman, Rodon, Johnson for the next five years. You Have Fullmer as insurance or trade bait. The pitching shoild at least make them competitive next year. You then have a ton of money coming off the books and pitching depth to trade from. My goal would be 2017.

While I agree this is going to be a bad FA class; most free agent classes going forward are going to continue this trend, most players are being locked up very young by their organizations to minimize risk while setting themselves up for a big pay day around the age of 30-32. To me the smart money is on paying a proven 26 year old and locking him up long term. Heyward is going to get something like 10/230 with an opt out after 4 and front loaded because of his age, lack of FA options & talent and honestly the sox are in a position monetarily where they could do a deal like that and have nothing to lose, Danks and LaRoche(dead money) plus Bonifacios and Alexei's guaranteed million means in '17 there is nearly $31 off the books, '17 will also be the first year Abreu can opt into ARB. Also in '18 Melky's contract is off the books too (another 15M).

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 13, 2015 -> 09:23 PM)
God is the defense bad.

I wish they could sign Heyward for RF, pray Trayce's bat can carry in LF and Melky to DH. Problem is LaRoche and I doubt Hahn would have Avi start at AAA. Saladino-Alexei-Sanchez-Abreu makes a decent defensive INF.

Problems with what to do with Micah arise.

I agree, defense would be my top priority. I love Heyward for just that reason and he's a better offensive player than any of the 3 we have now, but 25+ and a #1 draft pick might be to much to pay. I wouldn't have a problem trading Micah, Avi and/or some minor league pitching (just not Adams or Fullmer) for a 3rd baseman/catcher. I really like Lucroy.

I really don't think our offense is as bad as they played this yr. I think if we played the same team again next yr. they'd be better offensively but not defensively.

Like most everyone else I'd really like to see TT play every day an it wouldn't hurt to see Micah either.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 13, 2015 -> 07:47 PM)

Two weeks ago you were pissed the Sox didn't trade Robertson.

Interesting thoughts by one GM on Heyward...

Jason Heyward “will be the bellwether of this market,” as his unique case as a player who brings youth (26 years old) and elite defense to free agency rather than an elite bat will set the tone for other signings. His youth could play a different role in the contract, as one GM thinks Heyward could sign an eight-year, $175MM deal with an opt-out clause after four years. This way Heyward could hit free agency again when he’s only 30 years old and in good position for another major contract. Passan notes that Heyward is represented by Excel Sports Management, and Excel’s Casey Close has negotiated high-profile opt-out clauses in recent contracts for clients Clayton Kershaw and Zack Greinke (though it’s worth mentioning that Heyward isn’t represented by Close himself).

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/09/quic...es-greinke.html

There's some interesting stuff on Cespedes in the link as well. Glad I do not have any hopes on either of these players, nor Upton for that matter.

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (spiderman @ Sep 14, 2015 -> 11:31 AM)
Do we know how much room the White Sox will reasonably have to spend this off-season? I think it's safe to assume they will continue to try and patch together a team that could contend for next season.

I'm not going to wager a guess about the ceiling this time after being appropriately chastised for guessing incorrectly last year, but if they pick up Alexei's option and offer arbitration to Garcia and Flowers, they'll already have committed close to $115 million to the 2016 roster, which is comparable to what they spent in total over 2015 without any additional signings. If they spend more than about $5 million it would be the highest payroll the White Sox have ever had.

Season Ticket renewal notices haven't gone out yet have they? The org itself might not know their 2016 budget yet too.