My/Your Off Season Plan

GGajewski18

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 05:25 PM)
I would be secretly excited about Alex Gordon, somehow ridding ourselves of Melky and rolling with Gordon/Trayce/Eaton in the outfield.

I also recognize it would not be a good idea. But I have outfield seats and that would be fun to watch.

How is Alex Gordon than much better than Melky?

I know he's a better defender, but that would be reflected in his steep price tag. I'm content with Melky honestly.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 10:42 PM)
How is Alex Gordon than much better than Melky?

I know he's a better defender, but that would be reflected in his steep price tag. I'm content with Melky honestly.

Gordon is so much better in every aspect than Melky. He'd be a great addition, but I have a feeling KC brings him back.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 10:25 PM)
I would be secretly excited about Alex Gordon, somehow ridding ourselves of Melky and rolling with Gordon/Trayce/Eaton in the outfield.

I also recognize it would not be a good idea. But I have outfield seats and that would be fun to watch.

he is one person i have been thinking about.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 05:47 PM)
There's gotta be big moves on the horizon. Sox can't roll out Avi,Trayce,Saladino, Sanchez, Flowers, Alexei next year. Big expensive upgrades are coming.

Everyone is saying this, but I don't know who we could realistically get without having to trade someone like Quintana, which would in turn (potentially) not make the move an upgrade. Sadly, the FA market is very unattractive overall this year, with the exception of starting pitchers, although we're pretty set there; our starting staff finished with the #1 fWAR in the AL.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 05:22 PM)
How about Montas and Micah Johnson for Derek Norris?

I'm a huge Derek Norris fan. Thanks for bringing him up.

Dont think we would need to send Montas for Norris. I think Beck and Johnson could get Norris.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 10:52 PM)
I'm a huge Derek Norris fan. Thanks for bringing him up.

Dont think we would need to send Montas for Norris. I think Beck and Johnson could get Norris.

I would imagine Preller would want more back for Norris given they gave up a good pitcher for him (Hahn). Who knows, maybe the Padres love Danish. The Padres need help on the infield, as Gyorko was moved to SS due to Amarista being god awful. They have been rumored as a team that might go after Ian Desmond.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 05:55 PM)
I would imagine Preller would want more back for Norris given they gave up a good pitcher for him (Hahn). Who knows, maybe the Padres love Danish.

Preller also overpaid for Norris because he (like us) thought he had a good club on his hands.

Danish for Norris straight up I could see.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 10:56 PM)
Preller also overpaid for Norris because he (like us) thought he had a good club on his hands.

Danish for Norris straight up I could see.

Norris was a top 5 catcher in terms of WAR at age of 26. I just imagine it will take more than a non top 150 prospect like Danish to get him. Other teams needing a catcher could surely offer more than that.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 04:47 PM)
There's gotta be big moves on the horizon. Sox can't roll out Avi,Trayce,Saladino, Sanchez, Flowers, Alexei next year. Big expensive upgrades are coming.

Maybe we'll see. Depends a lot on how season ticket sales go and I wouldn't think that's going to go over well.

Mark

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 06:02 PM)
Norris was a top 5 catcher in terms of WAR at age of 26. I just imagine it will take more than a non top 150 prospect like Danish to get him. Other teams needing a catcher could surely offer more than that.

I'd do Danish and Johnson for Norris and Jacob Nix.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 06:28 PM)
It's silly to think MLB player X will suck because he switched teams to the Sox. Again, you're just using what has happened recently as a basis to justify your thoughts on the future.

It's not that we think any given player will suck because we acquire him. It is that a player who hits for a lower average than people think (Frazier) or is due to decline because of his age (Zobrist) will not play nearly as well as he used to if he came here. That's not to say it would only happen here. I believe that Zobrist will no longer produce at his current level on any team, and Frazier would be a right-handed Adam Dunn on any AL team.

While what happened recently with us and old/NL acquisitions is hopefully an anomaly, I do think that it, at the very least, should teach us to be very skeptical of potential moves for players who have baggage or warning signs.

I'd have no problem acquiring Frazier if he wasn't going to be a FA soon. I also think the Reds have no use for an established star like Quintana, as they won't even try to compete if they get rid of Frazier and are left with Votto, Bruce and their returning injured guys.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 06:52 PM)
I'd have no problem acquiring Frazier if he wasn't going to be a FA soon. I also think the Reds have no use for an established star like Quintana, as they won't even try to compete if they get rid of Frazier and are left with Votto, Bruce and their returning injured guys.

If Sox acquire Frazier, they would have control of him for 2 years.

After that 1 year, I really think they would extend him.

Frazier is only making 6 million next year.....

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 12:54 AM)
If Sox acquire Frazier, they would have control of him for 2 years.

After that 1 year, I really think they would extend him.

Frazier is only making 6 million next year.....

Which would make it worth it to me, as you get him cheap this year and if the team implodes again, you have a trade chip. I don't fault Frazier for his awful second half, as that Reds team was dead. Has to be demoralizing getting destroyed every game with a rookie pitcher on the mound and the dumbest manager alive.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 06:56 PM)
Which would make it worth it to me, as you get him cheap this year and if the team implodes again, you have a trade chip. I don't fault Frazier for his awful second half, as that Reds team was dead. Has to be demoralizing getting destroyed every game with a rookie pitcher on the mound and the dumbest manager alive.

Exactly.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 04:53 PM)
All offseason we're going to hear anyone 30+ or anyone from the NL "would suck on the Sox." The season has been done for one day and I have already heard it multiple times.

All because it happened a couple of times. Plenty of players make the switch.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 07:23 PM)
All because it happened a couple of times. Plenty of players make the switch.

Also, Dunn outside of 2011 wasn't even that bad. In 2012 he had an OPS over .800, and while he certainly wasn't worth the money in 2013 or 2014, he was still an above-average hitter those years (107 wRC+ and 113 wRC+).

Edited by OmarComing25