My/Your Off Season Plan

GGajewski18

Would someone please explain to me how anyone can justify paying Heyward $25 Million, per year, on a multi year contract?

I understand that he is a terrific defensive Right Fielder, but really? I'm sorry. I just don't get it. Someone even had him batting cleanup.

Again, Adam Eaton had the same production. If anyone suggested batting Eaton cleanup, they would be laughed off this forum.

Edited by Lillian

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had Trayce Thompson batting clean-up quite a few times down the stretch.

Anything's possible, although Heyward's going to be way too expensive when you need to stretch that money over 3-4 players.

The problem with guys like Gordon and Zobrist, though, is they're getting older and you're still at least in a holding pattern until 2017 to be competitive, so that essentially leaves Gordon/Cespedes/Upton, with all three of those guys either out of their price range or entering their downsides from a physical standpoint. So basically, nowhere.

Depending on how KC finishes the post-season, they're going to definitely make a run at keeping Gordon around if it's remotely feasible, because they saw what happened going cheap (Rios)...they ended up having to trade more prospects to shore up the offense with Zobrist.

You pretty much are forced to look at 3B and catcher for upgrades and probably have to be contented with the idea that Thompson might supplant Garcia in order to improve the outfield defense, Sanchez will be at second again and undoubtedly Ramirez will be back for one final year since they don't have enough confidence in Saladino to hold down the position as a full-time player.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 01:52 PM)
Plus offensive contributor, elite defensive player and only 26. You're buying his "prime" years instead of his 29/30+ years with your typical free agents. It's a combination of the players he is, his age and I am sure the fact that he was once the consensus #1 prospect doesn't hurt his case. I wouldn't advocate doing it but given the way the market has been I get it.

He's also an on-base guy in an era where no one gets on base.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 01:43 PM)
Heyward is like 26. He'll be the big fish of the bats. Maybe a 5/80 for Cespedes or Upton. I don't know what the market would be and if I'd sign them yet. Just throwing two names out there with numbers.

Cespedes will easily be $100m+. I can see him with a Werth-like deal.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 07:57 PM)
Cespedes will easily be $100m+. I can see him with a Werth-like deal.

Yep, I know someone like Gerardo Parra has been rumored to get something like 3/45 as a FA this offseason. With the lack of bats available, the prices are going to be insane for the top guys.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 03:04 PM)
I think Ian Desmond is someone the Sox look at. He can play SS next year, and if Anderson is good enough, move him to 3B. His contract could be a little depressed by his awful start this season.

He's most likely to get a QO though. If I'm signing a player that has a QO attached to him, it's Heyward and maybe Upton.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 03:09 PM)
He's most likely to get a QO though. If I'm signing a player that has a QO attached to him, it's Heyward and maybe Upton.

It might not be fair, but the one thing that would concern me about Upton is his brother fell off a cliff when he turned 28 with is exactly what Justin will be next season. I don't think he will be as bad, he's obviously a more talented player, but there could be a drop off in production.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 03:15 PM)
Desmond will get a QO in my opinion.

I'm sure he will, but he's got a lot of power for a SS, and IMO has enough offense to play 3B. A 2nd rounder isn't a big deal especially since they most likely with have the supplemental.

They probably won't sign him, but I do think he is a guy they probably look at pretty closely.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 08:04 PM)
I think Ian Desmond is someone the Sox look at. He can play SS next year, and if Anderson is good enough, move him to 3B. His contract could be a little depressed by his awful start this season.

i have been thinking of that for a long time. but i am hesitant on the QO.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 03:15 PM)
It might not be fair, but the one thing that would concern me about Upton is his brother fell off a cliff when he turned 28 with is exactly what Justin will be next season. I don't think he will be as bad, he's obviously a more talented player, but there could be a drop off in production.

Yeah, I don't think it is fair to compare the Upton brothers. I just think Justin is the more talented player than Melvin (B.J).

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 03:18 PM)
I'm sure he will, but he's got a lot of power for a SS, and IMO has enough offense to play 3B. A 2nd rounder isn't a big deal especially since they most likely with have the supplemental.

They probably won't sign him, but I do think he is a guy they probably look at pretty closely.

Desmond is also pretty bad defensively at SS. He had an abysmal 1st half of the season, strikeouts a ton, and has never played 3rd in the MLB. I'd rather much go after a real 3B like Frazier (hopefully rumors are true of Sox going after him).

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 03:29 PM)
Desmond is also pretty bad defensively at SS. He had an abysmal 1st half of the season, strikeouts a ton, and has never played 3rd in the MLB. I'd rather much go after a real 3B like Frazier (hopefully rumors are true of Sox going after him).

Were there actually substantial rumors of the Sox going after Frazier, or just fan conjecture?

I like the idea of Frazier, but he is going to be expensive to acquire. Plus he is only under control for 2 more years. If the Sox acquire him, they better plug some other holes and go for it, otherwise its not worth it and they should focus on pieces with more control.

I could also totally see Todd Frazier coming over to the Sox and being a butcher at 3B and hitting .220 with about 15 homers.

Edited by ChiSox59

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 03:37 PM)
Contract is already pretty big and not sure which direction the M's are going in with the new leadership but I would love Kyle Seager.

Wonder because of his contract if he would be a little cheaper than others. Only gonna be 28 next year, durable, left handed power, and good defense.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 03:42 PM)
Were there actually substantial rumors of the Sox going after Frazier, or just fan conjecture?

I like the idea of Frazier, but he is going to be expensive to acquire. Plus he is only under control for 2 more years. If the Sox acquire him, they better plug some other holes and go for it, otherwise its not worth it and they should focus on pieces with more control.

I could also totally see Todd Frazier coming over to the Sox and being a butcher at 3B and hitting .220 with about 15 homers.

A poster here said that someone close to the organization told him Hahn is going to push for Frazier.

I can see that too.

Edited by Jose Abreu

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 03:47 PM)
A poster here said that someone close to the organization told him Hahn is going to push for Frazier.

I can see that too.

Frazier would cost a ton of better prospects if they traded him. Supposedly, he is at the back of the back up the truck lime for the Reds.

Reasons Heyward makes sense:

Buying his prime years.

Elite defensively.

Gets on base.

Highly marketable.

Left handed bat.

Could be a 20-20 guy.

The problem: You're going to have to cut your losses on LaRoche and move Melky to DH. So Heyward will be SUPER expensive.

But damnit, the OF D is fun to picture.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 10:25 PM)

Buying his prime years.

Elite defensively.

Gets on base.

Highly marketable.

Left handed bat.

Could be a 20-20 guy.

The problem: You're going to have to cut your losses on LaRoche and move Melky to DH. So Heyward will be SUPER expensive.

you make an excellent point esp in the the buying .. prime yrs.

my problem .... the cost vs rebuilding and the result it will have the owners spending money to do both.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 04:25 PM)

Buying his prime years.

Elite defensively.

Gets on base.

Highly marketable.

Left handed bat.

Could be a 20-20 guy.

Heyward literally helps this team in the categories that the Sox are weak on as you mentioned above. He makes the most sense this offseason, it's just a matter if JR is willing to open the checkbook a little more and get Heyward signed, along with eating LaRoche's last year or moving him to the "veteran bench role" type of player.

Supposedly the Sox came in 2nd attempting to trade for him last winter, of course that was before they signed Melky. His price is going to be extreme, and until this season, had been hitting lefties like LaRoche.

I think it will probably be too much money.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 04:31 PM)
Heyward literally helps this team in the categories that the Sox are weak on as you mentioned above. He makes the most sense this offseason, it's just a matter if JR is willing to open the checkbook a little more and get Heyward signed, along with eating LaRoche's last year or moving him to the "veteran bench role" type of player.

Jerry pretty much has to be in "absolute win now mode" for him to greenlight those moves.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 04:38 PM)
Jerry pretty much has to be in "absolute win now mode" for him to greenlight those moves.

He's getting older, and his core of Sale, Quintana, Abreu and Eaton aren't getting any younger.

Edited by SoxPride18