My/Your Off Season Plan

GGajewski18

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Oct 8, 2015 -> 11:38 AM)
The only guy that comes to mind (while not a huge year but someone who could probably be had for cheap) is Christian Villanueva of the Cubs. Turned 24 in June, 20 homers, about a 16% K rate, .257 avg, .314 obp, .752 ops. May not be perfect but better than what's in-house now.

I like this idea alot. Not sure if there's a match but I'd happily give Villanueva 3B next year to see what he could do. I'm sure the cubs would want pitching, just not sure what the Sox could give that the Sox don't want to give up.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Oct 8, 2015 -> 11:53 AM)
I like this idea alot. Not sure if there's a match but I'd happily give Villanueva 3B next year to see what he could do. I'm sure the cubs would want pitching, just not sure what the Sox could give that the Sox don't want to give up.

I don't think it would take a lot. Of course you never know, he may not be blocked if they end up moving Bryant to the OF permanently and trading Castro or Baez (of course I guess that would open up Soler to be dealt but I think Villanueva is odd-man out as you never hear anything about him).

Edited by soxfan2014

The Sox should see what it takes to get Danny Valencia from Oakland to plug up 3B. I'd send Micah & Beck over there for him and that plugs a huge hole in the line-up with a decent defender. He is arb eligible this year and a free agent after next season, but he is a good candidate to take a team friendly 3 year deal IMO.

My new off season plan...

Trade Micah Johnson and Chris Beck to Oakland for Danny Valencia & LHP Fernando Abad

Trade Adam LaRoche + 4m to Pirates for nothing.

Trade Frankie Montas, Erik Johnson, Tyler Saladino and Avisail Garcia to Rockies for Carlos Gonzalez

Sign Matt Wieters 1 yr/12m + 5 mil in health/performance incentives and a club option for 18m

Sign Ian Kennedey to 2 yr/20M deal

Accept 10M option on Alexei Ramirez

Sign Ben Zobrist to 2yr/25M deal

Resign Albers 1 yr/2m

Line-up

LF - Adam Eaton

2B - Ben Zobrist

1B - Jose Abreu

RF - CarGo

DH - Melky Cabrera

C - Matt Wieters

3B - Danny Valencia

SS - Alexei Ramirez

CF - Trayce Thompson

SP -

Sale

Q

Rodon

Kennedy

Danks (Traded or sent to bullpen after ASB, rotation spot taken by Fulmer)

Pen

Robertson

Jones

Duke

Abad

Putnam

Albers

Jennings

Bench -

Brantly - C

Sanchez - IF

Shuck - OF

Garcia - IF/OF

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Oct 8, 2015 -> 12:26 PM)
The Sox should see what it takes to get Danny Valencia from Oakland to plug up 3B. I'd send Micah & Beck over there for him and that plugs a huge hole in the line-up with a decent defender. He is arb eligible this year and a free agent after next season, but he is a good candidate to take a team friendly 3 year deal IMO.

Trade Micah Johnson and Chris Beck to Oakland for Danny Valencia & LHP Fernando Abad

Trade Frankie Montas, Erik Johnson, Tyler Saladino and Avisail Garcia to Rockies for Carlos Gonzalez

Sign Matt Wieters 1 yr/12m + 5 mil in health/performance incentives and a club option for 18m

Resign Albers 1 yr/2m

Line-up

LF - Adam Eaton

2B - Ben Zobrist

1B - Jose Abreu

RF - CarGo

DH - Melky Cabrera

C - Matt Wieters

3B - Danny Valencia

SS - Alexei Ramirez

CF - Trayce Thompson

SP -

Sale

Q

Rodon

Kennedy

Pen

Robertson

Jones

Duke

Abad

Putnam

Albers

Jennings

Bench -

Brantly - C

Sanchez - IF

Shuck - OF

Garcia - IF/OF

Interesting ideas, but do the Sox really need 4 new position players. If you merely tried to find the 2 hole hitter and a clean up hitter, what would your plan look like?

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Oct 8, 2015 -> 12:04 PM)
I don't think it would take a lot. Of course you never know, he may not be blocked if they end up moving Bryant to the OF permanently and trading Castro or Baez (of course I guess that would open up Soler to be dealt but I think Villanueva is odd-man out as you never hear anything about him).

Maybe someone like Beck since they are close in age and both made it to AAA this year. Not sure if that's close or not, just thinking out loud. It does sound as though Villanueva is the odd man out.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Oct 8, 2015 -> 11:38 AM)
The only guy that comes to mind (while not a huge year but someone who could probably be had for cheap) is Christian Villanueva of the Cubs. Turned 24 in June, 20 homers, about a 16% K rate, .257 avg, .314 obp, .752 ops. May not be perfect but better than what's in-house now.

Ryan McMahon. Rockies. Probably a couple years away, but I think a Montas - McMahon swap makes too much sense.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Oct 8, 2015 -> 12:26 PM)

Resign Albers 1 yr/2m

Line-up

LF - Adam Eaton

2B - Ben Zobrist

1B - Jose Abreu

RF - CarGo

DH - Melky Cabrera

C - Matt Wieters

3B - Danny Valencia

SS - Alexei Ramirez

CF - Trayce Thompson

SP -

Sale

Q

Rodon

Kennedy

Pen

Robertson

Jones

Duke

Abad

Putnam

Albers

Jennings

Bench -

Brantly - C

Sanchez - IF

Shuck - OF

Garcia - IF/OF

Love some of the ideas. As for the person asked if we need 4 new position players. Sure why not? This team sucked defensively and offensively. I personally want to see a trade involving Q for Arenado.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Oct 8, 2015 -> 10:42 AM)
In your plan, what happens to Garcia? More importantly, who bats cleanup? Who are your first 6 hitters in the lineup, after spending all of that money, to acquire Heyward?

I'd trade Garcia for a bullpen arm, or lower prospect. I don't think he is very good in my opinion. Or at least not a part of a winning successful team.

First 6 hitters?

Eaton, Melky, Abreu, Heyward, Trayce, Uribe?

I mean, in my plan I'm not necessarily going for power. I am going for speed and defense. I think that outfield could straight out chase down balls. With a good pitching staff I think that's really important.

Just another thought would maybe be someone like a Josh Harrison for 3B/multi UTIL man. He is signed through 2018 and Kang came on strong.

In that case I'd go Eaton, Harrison, Abreu, Melky, Heyward, Trayce.

And here is another crazy thought.. its the offseason, so why not throw out crazy ideas? If we aren't going to be a power team, and we are a better pitching team, maybe push the OF wall back again.. can push that thing 5-10 feet in most areas still I believe. Play to our team. Not sure of the process to get that approved league wise. I think we've adapted to this mentality that since our field is small we must build a team that is all power. Almost the last 20 years have been predicated on an all or nothing approach. I'd like to get away from that.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Oct 8, 2015 -> 01:07 PM)
Just another thought would maybe be someone like a Josh Harrison for 3B/multi UTIL man. He is signed through 2018 and Kang came on strong.

As someone pointed out to me, they only have Neil Walker for 1 more season. He's more likely to be traded, or just held onto one more year before Harrison moving to 2nd base. Pirates also have 2019 and 2020 options on Harrison.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Oct 8, 2015 -> 03:07 PM)
I'd trade Garcia for a bullpen arm, or lower prospect. I don't think he is very good in my opinion. Or at least not a part of a winning successful team.

First 6 hitters?

Eaton, Melky, Abreu, Heyward, Trayce, Uribe?

I mean, in my plan I'm not necessarily going for power. I am going for speed and defense. I think that outfield could straight out chase down balls. With a good pitching staff I think that's really important.

And here is another crazy thought.. its the offseason, so why not throw out crazy ideas? If we aren't going to be a power team, and we are a better pitching team, maybe push the OF wall back again.. can push that thing 5-10 feet in most areas still I believe. Play to our team. Not sure of the process to get that approved league wise. I think we've adapted to this mentality that since our field is small we must build a team that is all power. Almost the last 20 years have been predicated on an all or nothing approach. I'd like to get away from that.

Don't you think that it's a little too soon to give up on Garcia? Why not let Thompson and Garcia compete for an outfield spot?

That middle of the order doesn't look like it would score a lot of runs. I hope the front office can do better than that.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Oct 8, 2015 -> 02:18 PM)
Ryan McMahon. Rockies. Probably a couple years away, but I think a Montas - McMahon swap makes too much sense.

Yep, I had the same idea a few months ago. Both are in the top 100 with Montas #54 and McMahon #50. Sox need a 3B and the Rockies need pitching. One hangup could be that the Rockies might be looking to slide McMahon over to 1B after Morneau's contract is finished after '16.

Only problem is that the trade does nothing to help the '16 team since McMahon doesn't project to be ready until '17.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Oct 8, 2015 -> 04:33 PM)
Yep, I had the same idea a few months ago. Both are in the top 100 with Montas #54 and McMahon #50. Sox need a 3B and the Rockies need pitching. One hangup could be that the Rockies might be looking to slide McMahon over to 1B after Morneau's contract is finished after '16.

Only problem is that the trade does nothing to help the '16 team since McMahon doesn't project to be ready until '17.

I don't see Montas helping the Sox in '16 either, especially as a starter.

Updating the plan a little bit:

1.) Offer Samardzija QO, he rejects

2.) Decline Alexei's option or restructure the contract and let him play it out

3.) Resign Albers

4.) Trade Micah and Avi for Derek Norris and Brandon Mauer

5.) Sign Jason Heyward

6.) Sign Ben Zobrist

7.) Send LaRoche and some cash to Pirates for low level prospect

LF Eaton

3B Zobrist

1B Abreu

DH Cabrera

RF Heyward

CF Thompson

C Norris

2B Sanchez

SS Saladino

BE Flowers

BE L. Garcia

BE Shuck

BE ?

SP Sale

SP Quintana

SP Rodon

SP Johnson

SP Danks

CL Robertson

SU Jones

SU Montas

RP Mauer

RP Duke

RP Petricka

RP Albers

If the Sox are in contention for anything come late May/early June and Anderson is tearing it up in AAA, bring him up and replace Saladino. If Thompson fails in CF, rotate Eaton back over and put Cabrera back in LF and platoon Thompson with someone in the DH role.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Oct 8, 2015 -> 04:30 PM)
Don't you think that it's a little too soon to give up on Garcia? Why not let Thompson and Garcia compete for an outfield spot?

That middle of the order doesn't look like it would score a lot of runs. I hope the front office can do better than that.

It may be a little early. And who knows? He may be the next JD Martinez. He has the physical tools. However, I'd rather trade him to a team while he still has the perceived value. I think he is Viciedo 2.0 and would rather get something out of him before we can't get anything out of him.

Depends -- that's not the sexiest middle of the lineup. It's a lot of people who can hit a dozen home runs. Eaton, Melky, Trayce, Uribe, Heyward, Alexei...

Check out the KC Royals lineup. It's not that sexy either.

I'm just saying I'd rather go the pitching defense route than the Mash Ball we've been accustomed to over the past 10 years. I've seen too many years back when like we had AJ, Dye, Konerko and Thome all single and all we had to show for it was 1-0 and bases loaded. And then someone would hit into a DP. I'd rather see a single, a stolen base, a bunt, and a sac fly to get to my 1-0.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Oct 8, 2015 -> 02:30 PM)

With Hahn (or was it Ventura?) publicly saying "he's nowhere near yet the player we think he can be" it doesn't sound like they aren't giving up on him, and also aren't selling low and trading him. He has minor league options left. No reason to get rid of him now, and I highly doubt they will. He also will not be guaranteed a starting job.

It is nice that he has in his arsenal that opposite field swing. He needs to pound way way more extra base hits. My theory is he has vanity about the wrong thing- batting average. I believe the Sox have communicated to him what he needs to do, now we see if he can do it.

Offer QO to Samardzija (he rejects)

Pick up option on Ramirez (10 million)

Resign RP Matt Albers 1 year/3 million

Trade SP Frankie Montas, SP Tyler Danish, OF Courtney Hawkins, 2B Jake Peter and 3B Trey Michalczewski to the Reds for Todd Frazier and SP Jonathan Crawford

Trade 2B Micah Johnson and RF Avi Garcia to the Padres for C Derek Norris

Trade 1B Adam LaRoche+ cash to the Pirates for lower level prospect

Sign RF Jason Heyward 8 years/180 million (opt out after 4/100)

LF Adam Eaton

1B Jose Abreu

DH Melky Cabrera

3B Todd Frazier

RF Jason Heyward

CF Trayce Thompson

SS Alexei Ramirez

C Derek Norris

2B Carlos Sanchez

UTIL Tyler Saladino, C Tyler Flowers, OF J.B Shuck, UTIL Leury Garcia

SP Chris Sale

SP Jose Quintana

SP Carlos Rodon

SP Erik Johnson

SP John Danks

RP Scott Carroll (long man)

RP Zach Putnam

RP Jake Petricka

RP Dan Jennings (L)

RP Zach Duke (L)

RP Matt Albers

RP Nate Jones

CP David Robertson

Thoughts?

Edited**

Edited by SoxPride18

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 8, 2015 -> 10:57 PM)
Maybe we could do Laroche to the pirates for Charlie Morton. Bad contract for bad contract.

this was mention as a blog idea.

sox and pirates.

adam laroche plus minor league prospect to pirates for Pedro Alvarez.

i would this in a heartbeat.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 8, 2015 -> 04:35 PM)
I don't see Montas helping the Sox in '16 either, especially as a starter.

This is true and if Montas is to maintain his value he will need to be a starter in AAA next year. I'm just not looking forward to another season of bad defense or poor offense from the 3B position but, for McMahon I would gladly wait. Plus Trey is only a step behind in his progression. I'm guessing McMahon begins '16 at AA while Trey starts off at A+.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Oct 8, 2015 -> 05:05 PM)
Explain how/why you think the Pirates would want to trade Neil Walker for Adam LaRoche.

Yeah I don't know either, I wanna edit that lol. Don't know what I was thinking.

EDIT: I edited my mock

Edited by SoxPride18

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Oct 8, 2015 -> 11:04 PM)
If you would do something "in a heartbeat" then it's likely the other team wouldn't.

you got a point, but alvarez, he has burnt all his bridges. it was mention that the pirates would be happy to be rid of him.

now why would the pirates do this, they need a 1b, defensively, and with the clubhouse problem that may be associated with alvarez.

now why would the sox do it, 27 hrs, and i believe the sox may have enuf players to help this overcome the so called cancer. at least for 1 yr and let him walk or traded.

worst case, he can be a nice dh option.

i am trying to rethink of this past interest.