My/Your Off Season Plan

GGajewski18

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 08:21 PM)
Can't hurt but he can't stick with anyone. He's floating from AAA team to AAA team.

He probably wouldn't even make the team but it can't hurt for the Sox to give him a "tryout".

He's a lefty bat with some pop. I'd take a chance on him. If it doesn't work out, fine. If it does, great. It's a low risk, high reward move.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 07:48 PM)
Good call on Singleton, completely forgot about him. He'd definitely be worth a shot as a 3rd/4th piece in a package. And while we are the topic of forgotten prospects...is Jonathan Villar not worth a shot at SS? I know he has Game changing speed but not sure how well his bat would fare over a full season or what his glove is like.

Hard to gauge Villar since he's been moved around so much. I found this article which gives a little insight.

http://www.crawfishboxes.com/2014/10/6/691...jonathan-villar

Reminds me a bit like Starlin Castro with the bonehead plays. He does have youth on his side though, so who knows? I like his offensive potential but really not sure about the glove.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 10:02 PM)
Rich Hill blows? We'll see.

I know where you're coming from, but he will be 36 years old starting next season, and I think a 2 year contract is a huge risk just basing off of 4 September starts . In the last 6 years, he hasn't even pitched 100 innings, I know he was a reliever for some period of time, but he also had health concerns.

I just would rather have Danks as the #5 and get his salary off the books after this year.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 11:56 PM)
I have no problem with anyone saying they're not buying Rich Hill at that price. I just think it's lazy when someone just says "he blows." Honestly, I didn't even realize his health issues were that serious so I'll take what I said down a notch. Regardless, I think he's a worthy gamble. This guy will be getting guys out next year. If not in the rotation, get him in the pen. Big upside as a starter or reliever.

He's worth the gamble but not at 2 years $16 million

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 08:18 PM)
Would anyone be opposed to giving Brennan Boesch an invite to Spring Training?

He's been irrelevant for the past few years, but he had a couple of nice seasons with the Tigers.

I think it'd be worth the chance to give him a shot to make the team as a 4th or 5th outfielder.

Not with Melky/Eaton/Avi/Shuck/Trayce. We don't need any more backup outfielders.

I think a Sox/Dbacks trade may work out pretty nicely. They need pitching, and have a lot of young talent, and extra OFs.....let's see....

SP Quintana for OF Ender Inciarte, SS Chris Owings, RHP Aaron Blair, 3B Brandon Drury.

These are all depth pieces for the Dbacks, yet are still valuable, young pieces. Blair is a one of their top young pitchers, but they still have Shipley and Bradley in the farm, and Drury is behind Jake Lamb. I realize it may be hard to get on board with this trade as there are no slam-dunk players the Sox get back in return, however I believe they all provide upgrades.

Inciarte immediately becomes better than Avi, and is an incredible defensive OF (something this team needs).

Owings had a pretty awful 2015, but his 2014 was a solid one in his rookie year. He's only 24, but worth a shot.

Brandon Drury had an awesome 2015 minor league campaign, especially in AAA where he hit .331. He is a very good contact hitter, has great hands on defense, and is considered to be an above-average MLB 3B. Scouts think he can profile with enough power to play 3B.

Aaron Blair was just ranked (as of yesterday) their #4 prospect. He's a contact, ground-ball artist. Not exciting, but potential #3 starter.

Make that trade and then sign someone like Jordan Zimmermann and the super interesting Rich Hill, and I think this club becomes immediately better through only 3 moves. Still not playoff contender, but Hahn would just have to make a move for a good C and we may be in business.

CF - Eaton (L)

3B - Drury ®

DH - Abreu ®

RF - Inciarte (L)

LF - Melky (S)

1B - LaRoche (L)

C - Anyone but Flowers ®

SS - Owings/Saladino ®

2B - Micah (L)

SP - Sale-Zimmermann-Rodon-Hill-Danks/Johnson

Inciarte/Drury will improve our defensive over last season very easily. Rotation is still dominated by lefties, but oh well.

Edited by Chilihead90

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 11, 2015 -> 05:56 AM)
I have no problem with anyone saying they're not buying Rich Hill at that price. I just think it's lazy when someone just says "he blows." Honestly, I didn't even realize his health issues were that serious so I'll take what I said down a notch. Regardless, I think he's a worthy gamble. This guy will be getting guys out next year. If not in the rotation, get him in the pen. Big upside as a starter or reliever.

i agree, for a 1 yr contract i would take a gamble. esp if the salary is not outrageous. the sox still need a #4 /5 pitcher. i know they are gambling on EJ.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 11, 2015 -> 02:33 AM)
I think a Sox/Dbacks trade may work out pretty nicely. They need pitching, and have a lot of young talent, and extra OFs.....let's see....

SP Quintana for OF Ender Inciarte, SS Chris Owings, RHP Aaron Blair, 3B Brandon

Diamondbacks always seem to churn out a lot of young talent and are willing to trade.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 11, 2015 -> 08:07 AM)
2nd half OPS around .650

Really stilted home/road splits

2 years of control

No way should we trade 2 of our best prospects for that

I know....those damn 4 WAR guys should be cheap in the trade market.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 11, 2015 -> 09:07 AM)
2nd half OPS around .650

Really stilted home/road splits

2 years of control

No way should we trade 2 of our best prospects for that

Why do people insist on using Frazier's bad 2nd 1/2 as some huge point not to acquire him? Like I'm supposed to disregard 4 1/2 years of .784 OPS hitting from a guy who is 29 just because he had a bad couple of months playing meaningless baseball for a crappy team? Just a really bad argument.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Nov 11, 2015 -> 10:29 AM)
Doesn't the home run derby tend to mess up guys?

There's an argument to be made that it can affect a guys swing for a couple months afterwards, sure. But to think that there is any long term affect is stupid.

Ortiz, Prince, Cano, Cespedes, Cespedes...the last 5 winners before Frazier. Would you pass on any of those guys?

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Nov 11, 2015 -> 10:36 AM)
There's an argument to be made that it can affect a guys swing for a couple months afterwards, sure. But to think that there is any long term affect is stupid.

Ortiz, Prince, Cano, Cespedes, Cespedes...the last 5 winners before Frazier. Would you pass on any of those guys?

I didn't mean for good just second halves. I should of specified my bad.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 11:56 PM)

Sorry, I posted that message based off your original post (which was a great one, BTW). I hadn't yet seen your follow-up where you went a bit more in depth on Hill and why you like him. I would have given a less "lazy" response had I read that before responding. But my point still stands, and the reasoning behind that point has already been covered by others. Rich Hill has started 4 MLB games since 2009. FOUR GAMES! Yes, he looked good in September, but I am just not buying, especially at $16M over two years. If you can get him on the cheap, sure why not, give him a shot. But the Sox really don't need another LHP in the rotation. No one is going to take Danks' contract, so he is pretty much locked in at the 5 spot. But if the Sox are somehow able to dump him, I'd see Buehrle as a much more likely scenario than Hill, and hell, I'd bet he'd take less than $16M!