My/Your Off Season Plan

GGajewski18

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 13, 2015 -> 10:58 AM)
If you are that worried about Erik Johnson, you are overrating him.,

We'll need a replacement for Danks, eventually. I'd prefer a full year of starts (hopefully 180-200 innings) to judge whether or not he'll be a suitable replacement, which I believe he will be. EJ has had a solid minor league career and if nothing else, will be a cheap solution at the back end of the rotation. He has more value than many here think. He'll never be a centerpiece of any significant deal. However, if we're trading EJ, we damn well better receive a replacement level player at one of our black holes. It should be someone also low on service time and whom we're able to plug in 3B, SS, 2B for cheap.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Nov 13, 2015 -> 12:48 PM)
We'll need a replacement for Danks, eventually. I'd prefer a full year of starts (hopefully 180-200 innings) to judge whether or not he'll be a suitable replacement, which I believe he will be. EJ has had a solid minor league career and if nothing else, will be a cheap solution at the back end of the rotation. He has more value than many here think. He'll never be a centerpiece of any significant deal. However, if we're trading EJ, we damn well better receive a replacement level player at one of our black holes. It should be someone also low on service time and whom we're able to plug in 3B, SS, 2B for cheap.

Replacement for Danks? Sure. That isn't saying much though.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Nov 13, 2015 -> 10:46 AM)
You'd be fine with delaying the development of Johnson and effectively limiting one, maybe two, FA signings?

We'd all but have to trade Quintana.

I don't think Shark will accept, but I think he'll have a nice bounce back season next year.

I generally like the Sox to win, and I think Shark as your 4 start next year isn't all that bad of a deal. But yes, I'd prefer EJ, and spend the $15M on offensive pieces. My point was that I won't be enraged in Shark were to accept, only because I think he'll be pretty good next year.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 13, 2015 -> 01:06 PM)
He was scratched off the Spx list as soon as he received the QO anyway.

I don't get why you keep saying this. The Sox will sniff around players who rejected the QO. Whether or not they sign one...probably not, but you seem to think they won't even consider those types, and I think you're wrong.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 13, 2015 -> 01:05 PM)
Weiters just accepted his QO. So scratch him off nearly everyone's catcher wishlist.

Taking the one year deal is an interesting gamble in his case. If he rebounds it could be huge. If he gets hurt again, he will really regret leaving money on the table.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Nov 13, 2015 -> 01:08 PM)
I don't get why you keep saying this. The Sox will sniff around players who rejected the QO. Whether or not they sign one...probably not, but you seem to think they won't even consider those types, and I think you're wrong.

The teams who have a top 10 protected pick should be the MOST aggressive on players who were offered QO's. It's the teams that would have to give up a 1st RD pick that should be very very afraid. If anything, Weiters market should have been very small for us.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 13, 2015 -> 12:23 PM)
They can't trade him. In the story on MLBTR about Rasmus accepting, it says the team can't trade him until June (or maybe July).

Thanks for clarifying. I knew Rasmus accepted but I did not read any articles about it so I missed that important detail.

No matter, I don't think anyone is expecting Samardzija to accept.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 13, 2015 -> 01:11 PM)
The teams who have a top 10 protected pick should be the MOST aggressive on players who were offered QO's. It's the teams that would have to give up a 1st RD pick that should be very very afraid. If anything, Weiters market should have been very small for us.

The problem is that the Sox have to give up the pick that they will receive for Samardzija. If it was their 2nd rounder, I'd agree with you. However, the only reason they didn't give up Shark was to obtain that pick. It's going to be in the 25-28 range. I believe that takes them out of the market for any FA with a QO attached.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 13, 2015 -> 01:37 PM)
The problem is that the Sox have to give up the pick that they will receive for Samardzija. If it was their 2nd rounder, I'd agree with you. However, the only reason they didn't give up Shark was to obtain that pick. It's going to be in the 25-28 range. I believe that takes them out of the market for any FA with a QO attached.

If there was a 4-5 guaranteed WAR guy for the next few seasons, the Sox wouldn't care about the draft pick, but those guys also come with huge price tags.

It will be interesting to see if anyone else takes the QO, and how the acceptance changes things moving forward. I am shocked Weiters took it, but when you think about it, it shouldn't be so shocking. You have to give up a pick for a guy who hasn't played a full season in a while. The offers couldn't have been that high. If he gets the $15.8 this year, and becomes an average catcher, he probably gets the same offers next year without the QO.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 13, 2015 -> 01:44 PM)
Ok....if news like Weiters accepting a qualified offer is going to get burried in this thread, I'm going to close this thread. Real news shouldn't be embedded within here and this is turning into a gigantic catch all that is difficult to follow.

Well people were using wieters as the ideas for sox. Yes its not totally sox related but the mlb news thread got buried and have to go through the threads to find to add news to it kinda is a pain. Many times i actually try to put stuff in correct thread but digging through all of them kinda sucks

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 13, 2015 -> 01:44 PM)
Ok....if news like Weiters accepting a qualified offer is going to get burried in this thread, I'm going to close this thread. Real news shouldn't be embedded within here and this is turning into a gigantic catch all that is difficult to follow.

I think you're the only one that complains about this lol.

But as others have said, Wieters was a name a lot of guys wanted for the Sox.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 13, 2015 -> 01:47 PM)
If there was a 4-5 guaranteed WAR guy for the next few seasons, the Sox wouldn't care about the draft pick, but those guys also come with huge price tags.

It will be interesting to see if anyone else takes the QO, and how the acceptance changes things moving forward. I am shocked Weiters took it, but when you think about it, it shouldn't be so shocking. You have to give up a pick for a guy who hasn't played a full season in a while. The offers couldn't have been that high. If he gets the $15.8 this year, and becomes an average catcher, he probably gets the same offers next year without the QO.

I believe that they can offer him the QO again next year can't they?

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 13, 2015 -> 12:04 PM)
I think you're the only one that complains about this lol.

But as others have said, Wieters was a name a lot of guys wanted for the Sox.

Yeah...I own the site so I'm allowed to complain about stuff (and can be selfish when need be), but I also receive numerous thank you's and the general sentiment is a preference to not have catch-all's. I'm not saying that it is 90% of the audience, but a majority yes (and their are certainly mods/admins who disagree with me) but its one of the few times that I really don't care. Fact that I've let this drag out this long just is really because thus far this off-season their has been no news so I'm not missing anything.

But I come to this site to find out what is going on around the Sox and baseball and when conversations are buried in threads, well quite frankly, it is not good for overall discussion and my goal, among other things for this site, has always been for it to have the best Sox discussion on the web (and overall just great discussion in general as well). Oh and I don't want to have to read 100 posts that I missed while I was gone for a few hours to catch relevant news that may / may not interest me.

For example, if I saw a post that said Wieters no longer an option and the news...I'd have known without having to filter through a ton of posts I wasn't that interested in. Whole point of separate threads is it does a better job of, a, seeing what the various discussion topics available are, and b, allows me to focus my time and attention on threads that I personally am interested in (just like it allows other members to focus on threads they personally are interested in). In a giant catch-all thread like the off-season, I might have to filter through 15 posts of 3 people's back and forth in a debate I'm not particularly interested in. And well, I'm a busy person and love this site, but time is money and I want to maximize my experience / knowledge gained from the site while dealing with the fact that I only have so much time a day to spend on the web.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Nov 13, 2015 -> 06:16 PM)
Highly doubt he accepts it. With the rumors of teams interested and I'm sure alot of teams are probably blaming the defense around him this year for some of the crappy stats he will decline

Not sure how the crappy defense can be blamed for the bombs he gave up once the trade deadline passed. As for the bad defense, a lot of that had to do with his own poor fielding. His ERA wasn't horrible even after the Micah Johnson disaster up until the deadline....and then he performed like the worst pitcher in baseball.