My/Your Off Season Plan

GGajewski18

QUOTE (BamaDoc @ Sep 23, 2015 -> 12:45 PM)
What are the boards thoughts on Marcell Ozuna? Marlins owner disappointed in him. Had great 2014 but questions of his conditioning this year. Pros: young 24, has some power, CF ability with dwar about 0. Cons: Boras client though earliest FA 2020, strikeouts about once per game, conditioning/attitude? Supposedly Marlins looking for pitching. Could Avi and a pitching prospect do it or just pitching prospects? Put him in RF

I don't know, sounds like the Marlins have pretty much soured on him. I think we have enough problems of our own although I wouldn't rule it out I wouldn't give much for him. I'd put it on the back burner in case nothing better comes along. Could be a better player than Avi but I question his desire.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No Matt Wieters. He can't stay healthy and the tommy john has sapped his value both behind the plate (9/37 CS since the injury) and at the plate (no power anymore). The last thing the Sox need is an aging, oft injured, high risk FA like Wieters. They aren't close to contending, they don't need to take on high upside high variance FAs. If you want to take on high variance FAs, you pay them 3-8 million on a 1-3 year deal and hope they can improve their stock while with your club.

I'd just roll with Flowers next year they aren't going to bring in anyone better. Try and develop a replacement in house. I wish they would give more thought to bringing Soto back but it seems everyone has moved on.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Sep 23, 2015 -> 05:45 PM)
I wish they would give more thought to bringing Soto back but it seems everyone has moved on.

How much are you willing to pay for Soto? Based on both sites he's been worth about 1.2 WAR this season - that means he's been worth >$5 million on a 1 year deal. Would you be willing to pay that for next year? If you offer Arbitration to Flowers he's probably about $4 million, even if Soto were to come at a discount is this the catching rotation you'd pay $8 million+ for?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 23, 2015 -> 03:02 PM)
How much are you willing to pay for Soto? Based on both sites he's been worth about 1.2 WAR this season - that means he's been worth >$5 million on a 1 year deal. Would you be willing to pay that for next year? If you offer Arbitration to Flowers he's probably about $4 million, even if Soto were to come at a discount is this the catching rotation you'd pay $8 million+ for?

I would bet that Soto does not get $5M per year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 23, 2015 -> 05:02 PM)

Yes?! That's a solid platoon. This team has bigger issues than a cathing duo of Flowers and Soto at a combined 8-10 million imo.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 23, 2015 -> 03:22 PM)
I'm uncertain but that's what he's been worth this year. How much would you be willing to go for him?

I would not pay more then 2.5M for him. Maybe another team gives him slightly more, but he isn't getting $5M. Baseball teams don't give out contracts based upon WAR. And I don't even know if I go 2.5M. His previous 2 years he was worth essentially zero WAR.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 23, 2015 -> 07:15 PM)
I would not pay more then 2.5M for him. Maybe another team gives him slightly more, but he isn't getting $5M. Baseball teams don't give out contracts based upon WAR. And I don't even know if I go 2.5M. His previous 2 years he was worth essentially zero WAR.

I'd be willing to bet a fairly good amount that someone will give Soto 5 million. FFS, Beckham got 3 million.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 23, 2015 -> 08:23 PM)
Just so we're all clear here, Geovany Soto is hitting .227.

edit- .223 actually. my bad. and Flowers is at .224.

and his wRC+ is 99 and Flowers' is 71. Can we just stop using batting average? Soto takes walks and hits for power. Those are useful qualities and it's reflected in the slash lines and wRC+.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 23, 2015 -> 08:15 PM)
Looking at Soto's career numbers, I don't know how you can say anything but he just has a career type year, and is in for a huge regression next year. It's either that or Robin Ventura is a freaking genius who turned the guys career around.

You pick.

His career wRC+ is 102. His wRC+ this year is 99. I'm not sure what numbers you're looking at to suggest this is a career year. When healthy, this is what he does -- he hits.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 24, 2015 -> 01:15 AM)
Looking at Soto's career numbers, I don't know how you can say anything but he just has a career type year, and is in for a huge regression next year. It's either that or Robin Ventura is a freaking genius who turned the guys career around.

You pick.

Wasn't his rookie year his career year?

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Sep 23, 2015 -> 08:43 PM)
His career wRC+ is 102. His wRC+ this year is 99. I'm not sure what numbers you're looking at to suggest this is a career year. When healthy, this is what he does -- he hits.

Holy crap has he really faded off these last couple of months.

Last time I looked he had an OPS+ of around 120, and his OPS was the highest since his 2010. His OPS+ is down to 103 now. Since August 1 he is 9/62 or .145. He has a grand total of 3XB over that time. He works out to a .500 OPS over August and September.

Forget regressing next year, that Geo is already here.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 23, 2015 -> 08:49 PM)
For the catcher spot, I'm a big Derek Norris fan. Padres willing to deal him likely with Hedges on the roster.

That's who I'm interested in as well. Good defensively, and isn't a black hole in the lineup. He can actually hit.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 23, 2015 -> 10:09 PM)
Holy crap has he really faded off these last couple of months.

Last time I looked he had an OPS+ of around 120, and his OPS was the highest since his 2010. His OPS+ is down to 103 now. Since August 1 he is 9/62 or .145. He has a grand total of 3XB over that time. He works out to a .500 OPS over August and September.

Forget regressing next year, that Geo is already here.

lol. Nice backtracking. Next time look on the back of the baseball card before you post and you won't embarrass yourself.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Sep 23, 2015 -> 10:57 PM)
lol. Nice backtracking. Next time look on the back of the baseball card before you post and you won't embarrass yourself.

The irony, obviously missed, was that Geo was a huge regression candidate next year, but apparently it is already happening. The embarrassing thing is that you missed that even with looking up the stats again.

well this season is coming to an end. the season hope in the beginning is a complete shock to how the team did and progress.

this is a time to start looking at how to make this team competitive next yr. well i will bring up some points before many will change their mind in the off season and change their mind.

now lets understand. the team needs players, pieces and prospects to help. i much as i hate to admit this, the sox will not sell their marque players, b/c they are still a business and need those players to put fans in the stand. players who many really like.

so in short, eaton, sale jose a are not getting traded.

so the priority of positions that needs immediate help and in the order that i am thinking. again this is my opinion.

3b. - no temp fix who can not hit or hit for some power. someone who is already a proven player. ------ need a trade or fa.

ss. - can this team really hope for Alexei or a replacement who is no better in what the sox have trying to perform. (Saladino)

cat - as much as i hate to not liking Flower, but it is position that need better hitting. how many seasons has he less than, i would be happy for a 250 avrg.

dh. - i can not stand another season of adam l and hoping that he will be able to produce..... i keep and can't stand thinking of Paulie and his last 2yr of hitting

now i can hope for more help but these positions is what i believe really needs to be address.

i am not saying or condoning of spending all the money on a Heyward and leaving the team expose to these weak area.

QUOTE (LDF @ Sep 24, 2015 -> 08:23 AM)
well this season is coming to an end. the season hope in the beginning is a complete shock to how the team did and progress.

this is a time to start looking at how to make this team competitive next yr. well i will bring up some points before many will change their mind in the off season and change their mind.

now lets understand. the team needs players, pieces and prospects to help. i much as i hate to admit this, the sox will not sell their marque players, b/c they are still a business and need those players to put fans in the stand. players who many really like.

so in short, eaton, sale jose a are not getting traded.

so the priority of positions that needs immediate help and in the order that i am thinking. again this is my opinion.

3b. - no temp fix who can not hit or hit for some power. someone who is already a proven player. ------ need a trade or fa.

ss. - can this team really hope for Alexei or a replacement who is no better in what the sox have trying to perform. (Saladino)

cat - as much as i hate to not liking Flower, but it is position that need better hitting. how many seasons has he less than, i would be happy for a 250 avrg.

dh. - i can not stand another season of adam l and hoping that he will be able to produce..... i keep and can't stand thinking of Paulie and his last 2yr of hitting

now i can hope for more help but these positions is what i believe really needs to be address.

i am not saying or condoning of spending all the money on a Heyward and leaving the team expose to these weak area.

Only guy available that I'd really want is Freese. Free agent market is terrible this year (besides Upton, Heyward, Cespedes) besides pitching.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Sep 24, 2015 -> 08:32 AM)
Only guy available that I'd really want is Freese. Free agent market is terrible this year (besides Upton, Heyward, Cespedes) besides pitching.

I'd take Zobrist for the short-term. I'd see if there's a way to acquire Alex Guerrero from the Dodgers.