My/Your Off Season Plan

GGajewski18

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 09:50 PM)
The thing with trading Quintana is your should get multiple top prospects back to fill multiple positions. The farm system is thin still and trading a bunch of prospects to get one bats is the wrong way of going. One bat is not going to fix the linup with to many holes. Plus those prospects listed are not going to get you a big bat that's needed.

I know I kinda just tossed it out as an example because I don't see anyone from rotation getting dealt (again: unless its for a haul) nor Anderson or Fulmer getting dealt. Also free agency isn't very appealing so I don't see how we can make a lot of moves (what other people on here are predicting).

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 08:50 PM)
The thing with trading Quintana is your should get multiple top prospects back to fill multiple positions. The farm system is thin still and trading a bunch of prospects to get one bats is the wrong way of going. One bat is not going to fix the linup with to many holes. Plus those prospects listed are not going to get you a big bat that's needed.

Agreed. Ideally, anyone you deal pitching wise is going to bring you back good hitting prospects or hitters who need a change of scenery and a prospect.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 11:13 PM)
That's why Q is the guy we move. We need talent in this lineup so he could help fetch us some.

I think talent wise, he's going to acquire you either 1 major league hitter or a few prospects, not both. What the Sox need to do is stockpile on prospects right now. They need as many in the chamber as possible.

If I'm the Sox, I know this goes against everything I've said, but I'd trade Quintana to the Dodgers for RHP 19 year old Angel German, and hope they sell low on either Joc Pederson or Yasiel Puig.

You need 2 for 1 or 3 for 1 deals.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 11:33 PM)
Q for Arenado

Nitetrain is correct: Not Happening.

Still, the Rockies can be a suitable trading partner. They need pitching badly, and they are under a lot of pressure to improve. Also, they have trading assets.

Forget Arenado. Do not forget Dickerson. He can rake and is still cheap. They have several other really good prospects, including a couple of catchers, and outfielder named Dahl, and more.

A package of Q and either Montas or Beck could possibly get Dickerson and 2-3 other prospects.

One team that is a potential trade partner is the Diamondbacks. Like Colorado, they have offense- and a lot of it, and they need pitching.

Off the top of my head, they have Goldschmidt, Pollock, Peralta, Inciarte, and Tomas.

All of the above players had great offensive seasons- Tomas was average, but he has great potential and didn't get much playing time.

Obviously, Goldschmidt and Pollock would be off limits- but could Peralta, Inciarte, or Tomas be acquired by us?

Peralta (LF/RF) hit .312 with 17 HR, 78 RBI, and a .371 OBP. Fangraphs is blocked for me right now, but I believe he plays slightly below average defense.

Tomas (RF/3B/LF/1B), like Abreu, signed to a 6/68.5 contract, only appeared in 118 games, but hit .273 with 9 homers and 48 RBIs. Lots of potential there.

Inciarte (OF), my favorite of these three, hit .303 with 6 HR, 45 RBI, and 21 stolen bases. Reminds me of Eaton offensively but with a bit more speed fewer walks. He also plays elite defense.

What would the price be for one of these three?

QUOTE (Dunt @ Oct 8, 2015 -> 08:10 AM)
The Sox should really try unloading LaRoche on the Pirates

Probably would have to eat at least half his money, but not a bad idea. I do think the Sox need to be talking to the Dodgers. Their ability to absorb contracts puts a lot of things on the table. If they will take Danks or LaRoche or both in another deal, let them trade him to Pittsburgh. Puig for Q, LaRoche, and Danks. Decline Alexei's option and think about how much $$$ you have to play with.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Oct 8, 2015 -> 08:12 AM)
One team that is a potential trade partner is the Diamondbacks. Like Colorado, they have offense- and a lot of it, and they need pitching.

Off the top of my head, they have Goldschmidt, Pollock, Peralta, Inciarte, and Tomas.

All of the above players had great offensive seasons- Tomas was average, but he has great potential and didn't get much playing time.

Obviously, Goldschmidt and Pollock would be off limits- but could Peralta, Inciarte, or Tomas be acquired by us?

Peralta (LF/RF) hit .312 with 17 HR, 78 RBI, and a .371 OBP. Fangraphs is blocked for me right now, but I believe he plays slightly below average defense.

Tomas (RF/3B/LF/1B), like Abreu, signed to a 6/68.5 contract, only appeared in 118 games, but hit .273 with 9 homers and 48 RBIs. Lots of potential there.

Inciarte (OF), my favorite of these three, hit .303 with 6 HR, 45 RBI, and 21 stolen bases. Reminds me of Eaton offensively but with a bit more speed fewer walks. He also plays elite defense.

What would the price be for one of these three?

I'd love Peralta or Inciarte, but they'd require a huge haul in return. They'd probably need Q plus prospects for either one.

Tomas is too expensive for what he is, so I'd pass on him.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 8, 2015 -> 08:13 AM)
Probably would have to eat at least half his money, but not a bad idea. I do think the Sox need to be talking to the Dodgers. Their ability to absorb contracts puts a lot of things on the table. If they will take Danks or LaRoche or both in another deal, let them trade him to Pittsburgh. Puig for Q, LaRoche, and Danks. Decline Alexei's option and think about how much $$$ you have to play with.

Yeah either try Alvarez for LaRoche + cash (Pirates seem to value some defense at first, LaRoche has already played there, and each only have a year left until free agency) or as mentioned: Quintana + LaRoche for Puig with Dodgers taking on all of LaRoche's one year remaining deal. I would prefer the deal with Pit and then moving Q for strictly MLB ready/productive bats however.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Oct 8, 2015 -> 08:23 AM)
Yeah either try Alvarez for LaRoche + cash (Pirates seem to value some defense at first, LaRoche has already played there, and each only have a year left until free agency) or as mentioned: Quintana + LaRoche for Puig with Dodgers taking on all of LaRoche's one year remaining deal. I would prefer the deal with Pit and then moving Q for strictly MLB ready/productive bats however.

Alvarez would slide nicely into that "low batting average, homer or nothing, high strikeout, left handed bat from the NL" DH position that we have loved so much since Thome was replaced by Dunn

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Oct 8, 2015 -> 09:16 AM)
I'd love Peralta or Inciarte, but they'd require a huge haul in return. They'd probably need Q plus prospects for either one.

Tomas is too expensive for what he is, so I'd pass on him.

Surely you have to be referring to some other Q, because there's no way you think it would take Jose Quintana + for 1 of Peralta or Inciarte. Jose easily has more value than either 1

The real question is - what do you think the off-season budget allows? Does Uncle Jerry have an open checkbook? For instance, if he for some reason is buying into this three year plan, does he say, "Well, we have LaRoche at $13mm and Danks at $15mm coming off the books next year, so let's push the plan forward a year and basically sign a Cespedes or a Heyward??" Also, not saying it would, but could the Cubs advancing to the World Series or winning a WS, or just in general being ahead of their schedule affect the Sox plans? Meaning, if they own the city, maybe it's a good time to trade assets, and rebuild while the focus is off the Sox in a way?

My opinion still stands that the best way to "quick fix" this team is to somehow keep the pitching together, while acquiring defense and speed. I believe if we can keep our 4 pitchers together for this upcoming year (Sale, Q, Rodon, Danks -- throw in Johnson as insurance) and then sign a FA on 1-2 year deal (Bartolo Colon, Iwukama, Kennedy ... though the latter two probably cost more $$ and years), keep the bullpen, and add defense? I think that makes us a contender.

I would honestly throw the $200mm+ at Heyward. Which sounds crazy. But I would. (Look at his WAR) I think with him and Trayce in the OF that takes us to one of the top OF in the league. Melky to DH. LaRoche to back up bum who plays 60 games. 30 at 1B, 30 at DH. 3B you sign Uribe. I'm not the biggest fan of Uribe, nor do I think he fixes a problem, but can be a band-aid that supplies defense and is a known clubhouse presence. I take or leave Alexei at this point. I'd rather take him, but if for budgetary reasons you can't? I leave him.

OF: Heyward, Trayce, Eaton (Melky)

IF: Abreu, Sanchez, Alexei, Uribe (Saladino, LaRoche)

C: ??? Someone

DH: Melky

You have Eaton and Trayce as your CF if one needs a day off. You slide in Melky as your 4th OF. Can play both corners and get 40-50 games out there.

LaRoche gets the 40-50 DH games when Melky is in the OF and gets 15-20 games at 1B

Saladino can back up the whole IF.

Doesn't cost a WHOLE ton. Maybe about $40mm to the payroll, but knowing the expectation that $28mm comes off the following year. Improves the defense tremendously, still have some flexibility on the bench, and keep pitching staff in tact.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Oct 8, 2015 -> 08:10 AM)
The Sox should really try unloading LaRoche on the Pirates

Judging by how little he played in the last month of the season, and knowing the Pirates history for taking chances on players in his boat when teams are willing to pick up salary, this might actually be a decent fit. I wouldn't expect anymore more than flotsam in the deal, but it could work.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 8, 2015 -> 09:38 AM)
I think the Sox are going to be active, but I don't think it's going to be in the free agent market. I think they'll be looking to make several trades to improve the offense, and I think they'll sign some dudes to improve the bullpen.

A lot of people have said this the past few days, but I just don't see how since I think they keep the starting pitching intact (wouldn't be shocked of a Q trade however) and I don't see them trading the few good prospects they have. Unless they target bench pieces that make good platoon partners, a free-agent like Wieters taking a one-year pillow contract to rebuild value, or making trades like the Reed-Davidson trade (1 bullpen piece with control (Petricka, Jones, etc.) for hitting prospect that may be blocked and expendable swap and then signing guys for the bullpen).

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 8, 2015 -> 09:51 AM)
Judging by how little he played in the last month of the season, and knowing the Pirates history for taking chances on players in his boat when teams are willing to pick up salary, this might actually be a decent fit. I wouldn't expect anymore more than flotsam in the deal, but it could work.

Agree. Plus they have Morse signed for next season I believe so they could make a perfect platoon at first.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Oct 8, 2015 -> 09:36 AM)
The real question is - what do you think the off-season budget allows? Does Uncle Jerry have an open checkbook? For instance, if he for some reason is buying into this three year plan, does he say, "Well, we have LaRoche at $13mm and Danks at $15mm coming off the books next year, so let's push the plan forward a year and basically sign a Cespedes or a Heyward??" Also, not saying it would, but could the Cubs advancing to the World Series or winning a WS, or just in general being ahead of their schedule affect the Sox plans? Meaning, if they own the city, maybe it's a good time to trade assets, and rebuild while the focus is off the Sox in a way?

My opinion still stands that the best way to "quick fix" this team is to somehow keep the pitching together, while acquiring defense and speed. I believe if we can keep our 4 pitchers together for this upcoming year (Sale, Q, Rodon, Danks -- throw in Johnson as insurance) and then sign a FA on 1-2 year deal (Bartolo Colon, Iwukama, Kennedy ... though the latter two probably cost more $$ and years), keep the bullpen, and add defense? I think that makes us a contender.

I would honestly throw the $200mm+ at Heyward. Which sounds crazy. But I would. (Look at his WAR) I think with him and Trayce in the OF that takes us to one of the top OF in the league. Melky to DH. LaRoche to back up bum who plays 60 games. 30 at 1B, 30 at DH. 3B you sign Uribe. I'm not the biggest fan of Uribe, nor do I think he fixes a problem, but can be a band-aid that supplies defense and is a known clubhouse presence. I take or leave Alexei at this point. I'd rather take him, but if for budgetary reasons you can't? I leave him.

OF: Heyward, Trayce, Eaton (Melky)

IF: Abreu, Sanchez, Alexei, Uribe (Saladino, LaRoche)

C: ??? Someone

DH: Melky

You have Eaton and Trayce as your CF if one needs a day off. You slide in Melky as your 4th OF. Can play both corners and get 40-50 games out there.

LaRoche gets the 40-50 DH games when Melky is in the OF and gets 15-20 games at 1B

Saladino can back up the whole IF.

Doesn't cost a WHOLE ton. Maybe about $40mm to the payroll, but knowing the expectation that $28mm comes off the following year. Improves the defense tremendously, still have some flexibility on the bench, and keep pitching staff in tact.

In your plan, what happens to Garcia? More importantly, who bats cleanup? Who are your first 6 hitters in the lineup, after spending all of that money, to acquire Heyward?

QUOTE (Lillian @ Oct 8, 2015 -> 10:42 AM)
In your plan, what happens to Garcia? More importantly, who bats cleanup? Who are your first 6 hitters in the lineup, after spending all of that money, to acquire Heyward?

Yeah honestly that team just doesn't look good. If I had to take a stab at it: Eaton CF Heyward RF Abreu 1B Cabrera DH Tracye LF Uribe 3B?

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Oct 8, 2015 -> 10:46 AM)
Yeah honestly that team just doesn't look good. If I had to take a stab at it: Eaton CF Heyward RF Abreu 1B Cabrera DH Tracye LF Uribe 3B?

In 996 career plate appearances, batting second in the lineup, Heyward is a .251 hitter. He hit in that spot just 74 at bats, last season, but the results were awful.

He only hit .208 there, with an OBP of .230. He has had much better success batting 3rd through 5th, but still very little power. It seems as though if he were on the Sox, he would be much better suited in the heart of the order. Nevertheless, he is not a big enough run producer to fix our anemic lineup. I'm convinced the Sox need a really potent bat at cleanup, which Heyward does not possess.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Oct 8, 2015 -> 10:57 AM)
In 996 career plate appearances, batting second in the lineup, Heyward is a .251 hitter. He hit in that spot just 74 at bats, last season, but the results were awful.

He only hit .208 there, with an OBP of .230. He has had much better success batting 3rd through 5th, but still very little power. It seems as though if he were on the Sox, he would be much better suited in the heart of the order. Nevertheless, he is not a big enough run producer to fix our anemic lineup. I'm convinced the Sox need a really potent bat at cleanup, which Heyward does not possess.

Yeah I just don't know where that bat is going to come from. Too bad we couldn't have worked out a deal for Donaldson when the Sox and A's had those early discussions for Samardzija last November around.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Oct 8, 2015 -> 10:46 AM)
Is there any good 3B prospects that are being blocked by someone else? I'd prefer to trade for a younger player and not sign an aging one.

The only guy that comes to mind (while not a huge year but someone who could probably be had for cheap) is Christian Villanueva of the Cubs. Turned 24 in June, 20 homers, about a 16% K rate, .257 avg, .314 obp, .752 ops. May not be perfect but better than what's in-house now.