My/Your Off Season Plan

GGajewski18

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Oct 9, 2015 -> 10:05 AM)
If LaRoche sucks again next year I think the Sox won't be afraid to bench him, it doesn't really hurt to eat the money in the last year of a contract. Same with Danks.

I assume they will give LaRoche 6 or 8 weeks of playing against righties to see if he can hit like his old self. They'd get virtually nothing at all in cash relief or players by dumping him. Best upside is in seeing if he can hit righties and help the team or recoup some trade value. I have no problem with sending Avi to AAA to figure out how to defend and slug.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Oct 9, 2015 -> 11:01 AM)
I assume they will give LaRoche 6 or 8 weeks of playing against righties to see if he can hit like his old self. They'd get virtually nothing at all in cash relief or players by dumping him. Best upside is in seeing if he can hit righties and help the team or recoup some trade value. I have no problem with sending Avi to AAA to figure out how to defend and slug.

This. If Micah Johnson looked like he had a clue at the plate and was sent down to work on defense, I don't see why Avi who didn't look like he had a clue wasn't sent down for the same reason.

Someone more versed in WAR:

How much better than Trayce Thompson does Avi have to hit just to be of equal value given their difference in defensive performance?

To me, there is just no way that Avi is a better baseball player than Trayce as of April 2016. Plus there's hope the Sox might use the opportunity of the protected pick to sign one of the big FAs, many of whom are outfielders. Avi in AAA might get the message across that he's not an everyday player unless he gets a lot better.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Oct 9, 2015 -> 02:41 PM)
Someone more versed in WAR:

How much better than Trayce Thompson does Avi have to hit just to be of equal value given their difference in defensive performance?

To me, there is just no way that Avi is a better baseball player than Trayce as of April 2016. Plus there's hope the Sox might use the opportunity of the protected pick to sign one of the big FAs, many of whom are outfielders. Avi in AAA might get the message across that he's not an everyday player unless he gets a lot better.

Let's assume for simplicity that Eaton has center field covered, so our right fielder is either Trayce or Avi. Let's also assume that Avi can be a -10 run defender next year (that's generous) and Trayce can be +5 (that's pretty realistic). Let's also assume that Avi is a -2 baserunner and Trayce is +3.

That means Avi would have to make up 20 runs, or 2 WAR, with his bat. That's probably a difference of about 25-30 wRC+. In our park that's roughly the difference between Melky Cabrera's .273/.314/.394/.709 and Adam Eaton's .287/.361/.431/.792.

Trayce could definitely put up worse than Melky's line, but I see no reason to believe Avi could do better than Eaton's.

Edited by shysocks

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 8, 2015 -> 11:16 PM)
I'm going to throw it out there, but what about Chris Davis? He's the best hitter available in free agency, can technically play multiple positions (allows both him & Abreu in the lineup in NL parks), and his addition would allow us to go defense-oriented at a couple of spots. Sign Zobrist and trade for a catcher (will use Derek Norris here) and go with something like this:

1. Eaton, CF

2. Zobrist, 3B

3. Abreu, DH/1B

4. Davis, 1B/DH

5. Cabrera, LF

6. Thompson, RF

7. Ramirez, SS

8. Norris, C

9. Sanchez, 2B

Huge question marks in the bottom half of the lineup, but at least they're all strong defenders. But that 1 - 5 would be very potent and could probably carry the load.

Ben Zobrist plays a bunch of positions but not 3rd. In his career I don't think he has played 10 games there and I think he had problems when he did.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Oct 9, 2015 -> 01:25 PM)
Ben Zobrist plays a bunch of positions but not 3rd. In his career I don't think he has played 10 games there and I think he had problems when he did.

I can't speak to his ability over at 3rd. Just that he's played plenty of 2nd and short and as long as he doesn't have a really weak arm, it seems like something he could handle.

I would say the biggest reason he hasn't been called to play 3rd are: Evan Longoria, Brett Lawrie, Mike Moustakas

Updated b/c Im bored on my lunch break:

-Offer Samardzija QO and he rejects it

-Decline Alexei's option

-Resign Matt Albers

-Trade Q for Nomar Mazara, Jurickson Profar, and Luis Ortiz

-Trade Micah and Avi for Derek Norris

-Trade Montas, Adams, Trey, and Hawkins for Frazier, Bailey, and cash

-Sign Trevor Cahill to a 1 yr contract

CF Eaton

RF Mazara

1B Abreu

3B Frazier

DH LaRoche/Thompson

LF Cabrera

C Norris

2B Sanchez/Profar

SS Saladino/Profar

BE Thompson/LaRoche

BE Profar/Saladino/Sanchez

BE Flowers

BE L Garcia

SP Sale

SP Rodon

SP Johnson

SP Danks

SP Cahill (Bailey when he gets back)

CL Robertson

SU Jones

SU Duke

RP Albers

RP Petricka

RP Putnam

Positives:

-Keep all 3 picks in the top 50 this season

-Keep Anderson and Fulmer

-Flexibility with pitching staff when Bailey returns and Fulmer gets called up

-Offense looks much more balanced

Negatives:

-Pitching staff is obviously weakened, Ventura will need to be creative with it

-Profar may not return to have a healthy career

-Bullpen looks marginal

QUOTE (Dunt @ Oct 16, 2015 -> 12:14 PM)
Updated b/c Im bored on my lunch break:

-Offer Samardzija QO and he rejects it

-Decline Alexei's option

-Resign Matt Albers

-Trade Q for Nomar Mazara, Jurickson Profar, and Luis Ortiz

-Trade Micah and Avi for Derek Norris

-Trade Montas, Adams, Trey, and Hawkins for Frazier, Bailey, and cash

-Sign Trevor Cahill to a 1 yr contract

CF Eaton

RF Mazara

1B Abreu

3B Frazier

DH LaRoche/Thompson

LF Cabrera

C Norris

2B Sanchez/Profar

SS Saladino/Profar

BE Thompson/LaRoche

BE Profar/Saladino/Sanchez

BE Flowers

BE L Garcia

SP Sale

SP Rodon

SP Johnson

SP Danks

SP Cahill (Bailey when he gets back)

CL Robertson

SU Jones

SU Duke

RP Albers

RP Petricka

RP Putnam

Positives:

-Keep all 3 picks in the top 50 this season

-Keep Anderson and Fulmer

-Flexibility with pitching staff when Bailey returns and Fulmer gets called up

-Offense looks much more balanced

Negatives:

-Pitching staff is obviously weakened, Ventura will need to be creative with it

-Profar may not return to have a healthy career

-Bullpen looks marginal

Why would they trade an established guy in Quintana for prospects just to then trade prospects for a guy like Frazier?

I think they'll either go for it again or start rebuilding. Not both.

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Oct 16, 2015 -> 12:17 PM)
Why would they trade an established guy in Quintana for prospects just to then trade prospects for a guy like Frazier?

I think they'll either go for it again or start rebuilding. Not both.

Because they need offense at multiple positions. Mazara gives them another building block to add to Abreu and Eaton for the future, he has massive potential. Profar, if he returns healthy, gives you plus defense up the middle with Anderson eventually at either SS or 2B. Frazier fits the "3 year window" the FO discussed and would be here until the Sox could probably start rolling over the next wave of prospects (e.g. guys they draft this year if they draft college position players).

Edited by Dunt

QUOTE (Dunt @ Oct 16, 2015 -> 01:24 PM)
Because they need offense at multiple positions. Mazara gives them another building block to add to Abreu and Eaton for the future, he has massive potential. Profar, if he returns healthy, gives you plus defense up the middle with Anderson eventually at either SS or 2B. Frazier fits the "3 year window" the FO discussed and would be here until the Sox could probably start rolling over the next wave of prospects (e.g. guys they draft this year if they draft college position players).

Which shows you how silly a "3 year window is". "Let's trade for guys who might contribute next year if we're lucky and are FAs in 2 years, and then also trade for guys who we might need several years to develop into quality big leaguers. Why do you think there's a contradiction here? I don't."

Jason Mastrodonato ‏@JMastrodonato 3h3 hours ago

One rival exec fairly certain the Red Sox are going to blow up their farm system. "Dave is going to make some moves. He'll be busy."

Amazing to hear other execs talk about Red Sox' farm system and just gush over it. It's not just the prospect gurus who do the rankings.

Any money we hear Chris Sale to Boston again? Or Q to Boston this winter?

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 18, 2015 -> 09:26 PM)

One rival exec fairly certain the Red Sox are going to blow up their farm system. "Dave is going to make some moves. He'll be busy."

Amazing to hear other execs talk about Red Sox' farm system and just gush over it. It's not just the prospect gurus who do the rankings.

Any money we hear Chris Sale to Boston again? Or Q to Boston this winter?

Don't think we'll be able to handle all of the "BREAKING: Red Sox acquire Chris Sale for [insert Red Sox #27 prospect here]" tweets, or the "C'mon Red Sox, get Sale! They'll take him for Owens!" type-tweets :lol:

Just like Puig to the White Sox for Quintana, unless they're 100% convinced Ryu will be healthy next year...then they'd be better off picking a couple of 3-5 guys off the second and third tier FA list.

Of course, it depends on what happens with Greinke.

Nobody is going to be rushing out after Price and Cueto with their shakiness issues (or just general problems adjusting to the AL in Cueto's case).

But who knows...everyone's waiting to see the dollar signs with Greinke, Heyward, Cespedes, Upton, Price and Cueto posted first.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 03:33 AM)
Just like Puig to the White Sox for Quintana, unless they're 100% convinced Ryu will be healthy next year...then they'd be better off picking a couple of 3-5 guys off the second and third tier FA list.

Nobody is going to be rushing out after Price and Cueto with their shakiness issues (or just general problems adjusting to the AL in Cueto's case).

But who knows...everyone's waiting to see the dollar signs with Greinke, Heyward, Cespedes, Upton, Price and Cueto posted first.

Yeah there are only so many big market teams. Those teams already have some of the insane contracts. I mean Greinke I read is getting 150 mill for 5 years. That's 30 mill a year. WHoever pays that can keep signing others? Are "normal" payrolls going to be 200 to 250 million and the big market teams 400 mill?

You'd think owners would wise up some year. Uh, Minnesota almost made the playoffs. Yes Minnesota. They didn't need no massive contracts cept for Mauer.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 18, 2015 -> 11:09 PM)
Yeah there are only so many big market teams. Those teams already have some of the insane contracts. I mean Greinke I read is getting 150 mill for 5 years. That's 30 mill a year. WHoever pays that can keep signing others? Are "normal" payrolls going to be 200 to 250 million and the big market teams 400 mill?

You'd think owners would wise up some year. Uh, Minnesota almost made the playoffs. Yes Minnesota. They didn't need no massive contracts cept for Mauer.

Ervin Santana $13.5 million

Ricky Nolasco $12 million

Torii Hunter $10.5 million

Phil Hughes $9.2 million

$45.2 million + $23 million for Joe Mauer, so you're not far off from our entire 2005 team, maybe $10 million in separation.

That's a lot of money for a starting rotation these days, although still cheaper probably than our 2006-08 rotations with Buehrle, Garcia, Contreras, Garland and Javy V.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Oct 9, 2015 -> 03:10 PM)
Let's assume for simplicity that Eaton has center field covered, so our right fielder is either Trayce or Avi. Let's also assume that Avi can be a -10 run defender next year (that's generous) and Trayce can be +5 (that's pretty realistic). Let's also assume that Avi is a -2 baserunner and Trayce is +3.

That means Avi would have to make up 20 runs, or 2 WAR, with his bat. That's probably a difference of about 25-30 wRC+. In our park that's roughly the difference between Melky Cabrera's .273/.314/.394/.709 and Adam Eaton's .287/.361/.431/.792.

Trayce could definitely put up worse than Melky's line, but I see no reason to believe Avi could do better than Eaton's.

Or the Sox could move Eaton to left and Trayce to center and move Melky on his way. That would improve the D significantly. Avi, in his first full season, hit a whole .34 OPS less than Melky and had twice the number of assists. Even better, sell high on Eaton- rather trade him to plug holes than Quintana.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 08:03 AM)
Or the Sox could move Eaton to left and Trayce to center and move Melky on his way. That would improve the D significantly. Avi, in his first full season, hit a whole .34 OPS less than Melky and had twice the number of assists. Even better, sell high on Eaton- rather trade him to plug holes than Quintana.

So we've got two bad outfielders and one good outfielder, and you'd rather use the flash-in-the-pan prospect to replace the good one?

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 08:03 AM)

What's the opposite of hero worshipping? Because trading one of the better young OFs in the game under control for multiple years at a below market rate to "plug holes" and open up everyday spots for both Trayce & Avi would be disastrous.

Sign Justin Upton to a 6 year, $130M deal and make Trayce the 4th until he proves otherwise.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 18, 2015 -> 10:33 PM)

I think the Dodgers will sign Greinke and one of the free agent starters. I'm thinking they sign Greinke and Cueto. David Price to Boston. Zimmerman to Cubs.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 01:14 AM)
Ervin Santana $13.5 million

Ricky Nolasco $12 million

Torii Hunter $10.5 million

Phil Hughes $9.2 million

$45.2 million + $23 million for Joe Mauer, so you're not far off from our entire 2005 team, maybe $10 million in separation.

That's a lot of money for a starting rotation these days, although still cheaper probably than our 2006-08 rotations with Buehrle, Garcia, Contreras, Garland and Javy V.

A very expensive, mediocre rotation, mind you.

So, I asked my friends that are Cubs fans today if they would do Quintana for Baez and Soler, and I got 3 immediate no's, without them even thinking about it. They countered with Castro and a prospect.

I said no way and asked if they knew that Quintana has been better than Lester the last 4 years, and they had no clue.

New updated mock that I was thinking of last night.

Give Samardzija QO, he rejects it.

Pick up Alexei's 10 million option

Resign:

RP Matt Albers 1 year/3 million

Free Agency:

Sign SP Zack Grienke 5 years/150 million

Trades

Sox trade 2B Micah Johnson and RF Avisail Garcia to the Padres for C Derek Norris

Sox trade SP Erik Johnson, 3B Trey Michalczewski, SP Frankie Montas, 2B Carlos Sanchez, and SP Tyler Danish to the Reds for 3B Todd Frazier and 2B/SS Zack Cozart

CF Eaton (L)

2B Cozart (L)

1B Abreu

LF Cabrera (S)

3B Frazier

DH LaRoche (L)

RF Thompson

SS Ramirez

C Norris

UTIL Saladino, OF Shuck, C Flowers, 1B/3B Olt

Sale (L)

Grienke