My/Your Off Season Plan

GGajewski18

QUOTE (Dunt @ Nov 5, 2015 -> 04:47 PM)
I dont know, the Mariners are in a tough spot in needing to contend right now without a lot of pieces. Their payroll is already at $95 or so without him, so not sure they want to throw almost $16 MM at him next year. You're probably right, as even the Angels are looking to offer David Freese a QO, just seems like a bad situation for them.

He'll command a three year deal in the neighborhood of $16m easily -- no chance at all he accepts the QO. Remember that no one has ever accepted the QO, and he's not really a borderline case.

David Freese, now that one seems a bit risky.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave Cameron's completely random speculation of our postseason:

Undeterred by a pretty lousy 2015 season, the White Sox still seem to want to contend while they have Chris Sale and Jose Abreu locked up, so I’d expect another aggressive offseason from Rick Hahn this winter. Howie Kendrick would provide a substantial upgrade at second base, and at $48 million for three years, won’t entirely break the bank. Mat Latos on a one year deal for $10 million to work with Don Cooper and try to live up to his potential seems to make some sense, and then I’m also giving them Alex Avila and the outfielding Chris Young on 2/$10M deals to provide some depth that the team lacked a year ago, while Alexei Ramirez comes back for $6 million on a one year deal to bridge the gap to Tim Anderson.Undeterred by a pretty lousy 2015 season, the White Sox still seem to want to contend while they have Chris Sale and Jose Abreu locked up, so I’d expect another aggressive offseason from Rick Hahn this winter. Howie Kendrick would provide a substantial upgrade at second base, and at $48 million for three years, won’t entirely break the bank. Mat Latos on a one year deal for $10 million to work with Don Cooper and try to live up to his potential seems to make some sense, and then I’m also giving them Alex Avila and the outfielding Chris Young on 2/$10M deals to provide some depth that the team lacked a year ago, while Alexei Ramirez comes back for $6 million on a one year deal to bridge the gap to Tim Anderson.

If that is our offseason, I will be busy doing a lot of camping next summer.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Nov 5, 2015 -> 04:13 PM)

Undeterred by a pretty lousy 2015 season, the White Sox still seem to want to contend while they have Chris Sale and Jose Abreu locked up, so I’d expect another aggressive offseason from Rick Hahn this winter. Howie Kendrick would provide a substantial upgrade at second base, and at $48 million for three years, won’t entirely break the bank. Mat Latos on a one year deal for $10 million to work with Don Cooper and try to live up to his potential seems to make some sense, and then I’m also giving them Alex Avila and the outfielding Chris Young on 2/$10M deals to provide some depth that the team lacked a year ago, while Alexei Ramirez comes back for $6 million on a one year deal to bridge the gap to Tim Anderson.Undeterred by a pretty lousy 2015 season, the White Sox still seem to want to contend while they have Chris Sale and Jose Abreu locked up, so I’d expect another aggressive offseason from Rick Hahn this winter. Howie Kendrick would provide a substantial upgrade at second base, and at $48 million for three years, won’t entirely break the bank. Mat Latos on a one year deal for $10 million to work with Don Cooper and try to live up to his potential seems to make some sense, and then I’m also giving them Alex Avila and the outfielding Chris Young on 2/$10M deals to provide some depth that the team lacked a year ago, while Alexei Ramirez comes back for $6 million on a one year deal to bridge the gap to Tim Anderson.

There's a perfect example of $78 million in new spending that would get us where exactly?

The net adds there would be in the neighborhood of $36 million for 2016. That's pushing payroll up in the $150 million range and beyond...and we know how unlikely dumping Danks and LaRoche is to happen before the season.

You end up blocking Erik Johnson, Montas goes to the pen or is probably trade bait along with Beck and Webb, you have made a utility player out of Carlos Sanchez (one good thing) but you still have issues in the outfield, 3b and catcher that aren't going to be solved by Young or Avila, not to mention LaRoche's bat and Melky's defense. Trayce Thompson can play Young's part for close to minimum. Avila hasn't been healthy or productive offensively for 2-3 seasons now.

Finally, Kendrick is declining even more in 2017 and 2018 when you really need him the most. The one plus is that it would give Tim Anderson a respected and experienced vet to pair with up the middle, but there's just no way Kendrick is worth that much money to a team with 3 young guys already there. So you've also doomed Micah to the trade bin as well.

And therein lies the danger of doubling down with second and third tier players. Pick the wrong ones and we are definitely talking about Sale, Quintana and Abreu being traded after next season.

They absolutely are banking on Rodon, Tim Anderson and Fulmer or this whole thing starts to unravel.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Dunt @ Nov 5, 2015 -> 04:13 PM)

I think Cameron needs to pass booze over this way. All those players combine to add 42M to a payroll that supposedly stands at around 105M. For some reason I have a difficult time believing the SOX will jump from 119M to 147M. Put down the sauce Cameron.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 5, 2015 -> 04:44 PM)
I think Cameron needs to pass booze over this way. All those players combine to add 42M to a payroll that supposedly stands at around 105M. For some reason I have a difficult time believing the SOX will jump from 119M to 147M. Put down the sauce Cameron.

Depends on how you look at Alexei.

Technically, it wouldn't be adding new spending there compared to 2015 since nearly everyone assumed they were going to keep him at $10 million. From another pov, that would be $43 million because you also have to include his buyout, too. His real cost would be $7 vs. $10 million.

That's putting us closer to $150 million with the Royals still getting by at around $125-130 million.

Pretty preposterous.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 5, 2015 -> 05:07 PM)
Why is Royals crap in this thread?

Because the White Sox used to be capable of hitting on the type of moves that Schoenfeld outlined.

They did it in 2004-05.

As much as we see retorts of thirty years of losing and look at all those high draft picks, the Royals won largely because of the plethora of free agents they (cheaply, except for Rios) brought in over the last two seasons. Sure, they had their core, like the White Sox have now...but it had to be supplemented with the right mix of players.

Why have the White Sox been complete failures in this category for the past decade? Why do we always seem to have the same recurring problems/issues with talent evaluation and/or scouting, forgetting for a moment the role of the coaching staff.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/building-royal...?mod=rss_Sports

But mostly just for Greg to get a kick out of an Alex Rios quote about winning it all in the Wall Street Journal of all places...revenge for all of his incorrect predictions this postseason.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 5, 2015 -> 05:23 PM)
Because the White Sox used to be capable of hitting on the type of moves that Schoenfeld outlined.

They did it in 2004-05.

As much as we see retorts of thirty years of losing and look at all those high draft picks, the Royals won largely because of the plethora of free agents they (cheaply, except for Rios) brought in over the last two seasons. Sure, they had their core, like the White Sox have now...but it had to be supplemented with the right mix of players.

Why have the White Sox been complete failures in this category for the past decade? Why do we always seem to have the same recurring problems/issues with talent evaluation and/or scouting, forgetting for a moment the role of the coaching staff.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/building-royal...?mod=rss_Sports

But mostly just for Greg to get a kick out of an Alex Rios quote about winning it all in the Wall Street Journal of all places...revenge for all of his incorrect predictions this postseason.

We get the Royals won and you have had an erection for more than 4 hours, but this is a White Sox off season thread that has nothing to do with Rios or Gordon or taunting Greg.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 5, 2015 -> 05:29 PM)
We get the Royals won and you have had an erection for more than 4 hours, but this is an Alexei Ramirez thread that has nothing to do with Rios or Gordon or taunting Greg.

This actually is the off season plan thread :P

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 5, 2015 -> 05:54 PM)
Seriously, the endless Royals comments are already getting tiring and the offseason just started.

I'm more than happy to praise the White Sox if they actually do something right.

At this point, Flash Tizzle, myself and a few others have made our point/s.

Now if we see these "the KC Royals are totally a product of LUCK" arguments, they had to be terrible for 30 years (when Moore took over as GM in 2006 and didn't draft anyone until 2007), they're ONLY a product of high draft picks for being so terrible in the last 15-20 years, then I'll be more than happy to rebut that.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 5, 2015 -> 07:29 PM)
I'm more than happy to praise the White Sox if they actually do something right.

At this point, Flash Tizzle, myself and a few others have made our point/s.

Now if we see these "the KC Royals are totally a product of LUCK" arguments, they had to be terrible for 30 years (when Moore took over as GM in 2006 and didn't draft anyone until 2007), they're ONLY a product of high draft picks for being so terrible in the last 15-20 years, then I'll be more than happy to rebut that.

Every comment doesn't have to include a royals tidbit or qualifier. That's all you do, people are sick of it. The end