My/Your Off Season Plan

GGajewski18

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 05:14 PM)
It's probably happened before where a team markets a fan favorite and he ends up getting move. Thought it was worth noting. A small-mid market team like Brewers may have more value in keeping fan favorites than clearing house a la Cubs/Astros.

Especially after a down year. Why sell low at a premium position

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 05:00 PM)
Good research on your part and I'm glad to see you mention Musgrove who fits the profile the sox would like in a pitcher.Only player you missed was AJ Reed, a big power hitting 1B that I'm sure the Sox would desire. Nice job.

Thanks. I didn't list Reed because the Astros have no real 1st baseman and I figured they won't trade him. He's a monster though, I would gladly take him in a package lol. I tried to list the guys that make sense for them to try and move. Which is pretty impressive when none of those guys (including Reed) are in their top 4 prospects.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 04:42 PM)
What I came up with in a waiting room today...

Sign Alexei Ramirez for 2 year 14 million

Lack of options, bounce back candidate and stop gap.

Sign Rich Hill 2 year 16 million.

Dude has pitched sparingly but has been highly effective the last few years especially down the stretch for the Red Sox last year. I imagine they'll try to retain him but they have Buccholz, Johnson, Rodriguez and Porcello + whatever big-ticket starter they add. Lots of potential for surplus value as he has fixed his mechanics.

Sign Kenta Maeda – 20 million posting & 5 year, 70 million.

Knocks on him are his slender frame. Dominant in Japan. Paying for 28-33 year old seasons. No compensation past money. Replaces hole left by Quintana.

Trade Erik Johnson, Adam LaRoche and 6 million for Matt Adams.

Cardinals have Piscotty ®, Bourjos®, Jay(L), Holliday®, Pham ® and Grichuck® in the outfield. Whispers are they are going to move Holliday to 1B but he's unwilling. LaRoche could break up all the righties in the middle of the lineup and sit vs. lefthanded pitching when Holliday/Pham/Piscotty cover 1B. The can sub in Boujos/Jay in the OF late and switch the less defensive oriented OF to 1B to have a great defensive unit. Johnson gives them an arm to help stomach the loss of Lackey/Lynn. Wainright, Lynn, Garcia aren't spring chickens anymore so Johnson gives them another young arm to add to Wacha/Martinez.

Trade Frankie Montas for Martin Prado

Not much explanation needed here. Prado covers 3B and hits second. I don't believe Montas can start. Not sure what the market will think of Montas but I think it's a worthy move.

Trade Jose Quintana and Micah Johnson to Arizona for David Peralta, Chris Owings, Archie Bradley and Keith Kessler.

Peralta is the key. BABIP is a bit high and he plays in AZ so his stats aren't as pure as they'd look in a glance but he's a well-above average LH bat who is pre-arb. Owings is a guy who was hamstringed by a bad wrist and is a great bounceback candidate. Do the look and see approach at both 2B/SS. Bradley has had an up-and-down career in AZ and scouts and executives have pinned him as a potential trade candidate. Good GB% and nice four pitch mix for the Sox to work with. Keith Kessler is a guy who hasn't had much of a chance in the MLB but I think can become a dominant LHSU. Sucks losing Quintana for reasons that don't need to be said and Johnson seems to have fallen out of favor and could find a role in AZ who lacks a 2B other than the skeleton known as Aaron Hill.

Trade Avi Garcia for Tucker Barnhart

Neither leave much to be excited about but fit their new teams much better. Barnhart is a light hitting switch-hitter who does everything well other than hitting and running. Noted that he works well with pitchers which the Sox love.

L CF Adam Eaton

R 3B Martin Prado

R 1B/DH Jose Abreu

L RF David Peralta

S LF Melky Cabrera

L DH/1B Matt Adams

R SS Alexei Ramirez/Chris Owings

R C Tyler Flowers

S/R 2B Carlos Sanchez/Chris Owings

Bench: INF Owings/Sanchez, OF Thompson, C Barnhart and Saladino/Shuck

L SP1 Chris Sale

R SP2 Kenta Maeda

L SP3 Carlos Rodon

L SP4 Rich Hill

R SP5 Archie Bradley

RHP Robertson

RHP Jones

LHP Dule

LHP Jennings

RHP Putnam

LHP Hessler

RHP Petricka

Key here is to keep the draft picks and add cost effective players who can add to the team for years to come.

What happens with Danks?

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 04:48 PM)
Thanks. I didn't list Reed because the Astros have no real 1st baseman and I figured they won't trade him. He's a monster though, I would gladly take him in a package lol. I tried to list the guys that make sense for them to try and move. Which is pretty impressive when none of those guys (including Reed) are in their top 4 prospects.

Now that you mention it, I think I read something during the deadline that the Astros are very high on Reed so leaving him out was probably a smart move since they are likely not to include him in any trade.

For me, Joe Musgrove is the arm I would want back in a trade with the Astros. Big, big man that knows how to get GB outs. Would love to get him somehow.

JD Davis is interesting as well. Big arm for 3B and plenty of power,although he K's quite a bit too.

Call me crazy but I'd take a chance on Singleton as a throw in from the Astros. After enduring Dunn and now LaRoche, why not, lol.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 05:42 PM)

Dude has pitched sparingly but has been highly effective the last few years especially down the stretch for the Red Sox last year. I imagine they'll try to retain him but they have Buccholz, Johnson, Rodriguez and Porcello + whatever big-ticket starter they add. Lots of potential for surplus value as he has fixed his mechanics.

Knocks on him are his slender frame. Dominant in Japan. Paying for 28-33 year old seasons. No compensation past money. Replaces hole left by Quintana.

Cardinals have Piscotty ®, Bourjos®, Jay(L), Holliday®, Pham ® and Grichuck® in the outfield. Whispers are they are going to move Holliday to 1B but he's unwilling. LaRoche could break up all the righties in the middle of the lineup and sit vs. lefthanded pitching when Holliday/Pham/Piscotty cover 1B. The can sub in Boujos/Jay in the OF late and switch the less defensive oriented OF to 1B to have a great defensive unit. Johnson gives them an arm to help stomach the loss of Lackey/Lynn. Wainright, Lynn, Garcia aren't spring chickens anymore so Johnson gives them another young arm to add to Wacha/Martinez.

Not much explanation needed here. Prado covers 3B and hits second. I don't believe Montas can start. Not sure what the market will think of Montas but I think it's a worthy move.

Trade Jose Quintana and Micah Johnson to Arizona for David Peralta, Chris Owings, Archie Bradley and Keith Kessler.

Peralta is the key. BABIP is a bit high and he plays in AZ so his stats aren't as pure as they'd look in a glance but he's a well-above average LH bat who is pre-arb. Owings is a guy who was hamstringed by a bad wrist and is a great bounceback candidate. Do the look and see approach at both 2B/SS. Bradley has had an up-and-down career in AZ and scouts and executives have pinned him as a potential trade candidate. Good GB% and nice four pitch mix for the Sox to work with. Keith Kessler is a guy who hasn't had much of a chance in the MLB but I think can become a dominant LHSU. Sucks losing Quintana for reasons that don't need to be said and Johnson seems to have fallen out of favor and could find a role in AZ who lacks a 2B other than the skeleton known as Aaron Hill.

Neither leave much to be excited about but fit their new teams much better. Barnhart is a light hitting switch-hitter who does everything well other than hitting and running. Noted that he works well with pitchers which the Sox love.

L CF Adam Eaton

R 3B Martin Prado

R 1B/DH Jose Abreu

L RF David Peralta

S LF Melky Cabrera

L DH/1B Matt Adams

R C Tyler Flowers

L SP1 Chris Sale

R SP2 Kenta Maeda

L SP3 Carlos Rodon

L SP4 Rich Hill

R SP5 Archie Bradley

RHP Robertson

RHP Jones

LHP Dule

LHP Jennings

RHP Putnam

LHP Hessler

RHP Petricka

Key here is to keep the draft picks and add cost effective players who can add to the team for years to come.

Like it. Especially Maeda...and as for his slender frame knock...pinch me if you've heard that knock on one of our starters.

Maeda is posted? Or should be soon enough. At the end of this month I seen.

One issue is Montas for Prado. Don't want to give up our young pitching depth for him.

Edited by SouthSideSale

L CF Adam Eaton

R 3B Martin Prado

R 1B/DH Jose Abreu

L RF David Peralta

S LF Melky Cabrera

L DH/1B Matt Adams

R C Tyler Flowers

L SP1 Chris Sale

R SP2 Kenta Maeda

L SP3 Carlos Rodon

L SP4 Rich Hill

R SP5 Archie Bradley

RHP Robertson

RHP Jones

LHP Dule

LHP Jennings

RHP Putnam

LHP Hessler

RHP Petricka

Not gonna comment on Danks since many others have. I would be reluctant to give Hill that kind of money, given that he's made 20 appearances in the last 2 seasons, but other than that, I like these ideas, especially the Diamondbacks trade. They have a lot of hitting talent and a lack of pitching depth that could make them a potential trade partner.

L CF Adam Eaton

R 3B Martin Prado

R 1B/DH Jose Abreu

L RF David Peralta

S LF Melky Cabrera

L DH/1B Matt Adams

R C Tyler Flowers

L SP1 Chris Sale

R SP2 Kenta Maeda

L SP3 Carlos Rodon

L SP4 Rich Hill

R SP5 Archie Bradley

RHP Robertson

RHP Jones

LHP Dule

LHP Jennings

RHP Putnam

LHP Hessler

RHP Petricka

I like most all of that outside the Q trade. Giving up a lot for not that much in return IMO. Peralta had a great season, but he's 28 and has way less of a track record than Q.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 10:42 PM)

L CF Adam Eaton

R 3B Martin Prado

R 1B/DH Jose Abreu

L RF David Peralta

S LF Melky Cabrera

L DH/1B Matt Adams

R C Tyler Flowers

L SP1 Chris Sale

R SP2 Kenta Maeda

L SP3 Carlos Rodon

L SP4 Rich Hill

R SP5 Archie Bradley

RHP Robertson

RHP Jones

LHP Dule

LHP Jennings

RHP Putnam

LHP Hessler

RHP Petricka

wow, you really did a lot of home work in this post. great job.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 11:02 PM)
Now that you mention it, I think I read something during the deadline that the Astros are very high on Reed so leaving him out was probably a smart move since they are likely not to include him in any trade.

For me, Joe Musgrove is the arm I would want back in a trade with the Astros. Big, big man that knows how to get GB outs. Would love to get him somehow.

JD Davis is interesting as well. Big arm for 3B and plenty of power,although he K's quite a bit too.

Call me crazy but I'd take a chance on Singleton as a throw in from the Astros. After enduring Dunn and now LaRoche, why not, lol.

i too like musgrove but wasn't that a deal breaker last yr with San, when they explore a trade with Hou???

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 06:25 PM)
^^ I had to mess up somewhere.

LOL, he's a great receiver and gets high grade on his makeup and interaction with teammates. Seems like what the Sox would want in a backup catcher. He's got a decent eye up there. Could potentially improve at the plate.

Just exchange Danks for Hill. Rich Hill blows and throwing 2 years and $16M at him would but insane. I'd prefer Danks.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 06:02 PM)

Good call on Singleton, completely forgot about him. He'd definitely be worth a shot as a 3rd/4th piece in a package. And while we are the topic of forgotten prospects...is Jonathan Villar not worth a shot at SS? I know he has Game changing speed but not sure how well his bat would fare over a full season or what his glove is like.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 07:55 PM)
Both are mediocre, but I'd much prefer Hill at $8 million a year than Danks and his $15+ million yearly salary.

I'd rather have Danks for just one more year at his salary than Hill for 2 years and his 4 good starts this last September.

Edited by SoxPride18

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 07:55 PM)
I'd rather have Danks for just one more year at his salary than Hill for 2 years and his 4 good starts this last September.

I think Hill has changed.

As another guy said above, his mechanics now are completely different than what they were when he was with the Cubs. I'm not saying that he'll put up amazing numbers next year like he did in his last 4 starts in 2015, but I'd bet a significant amount of money that he'll put up better numbers than Danks next year.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 08:02 PM)
I think Hill has changed.

As another guy said above, his mechanics now are completely different than what they were when he was with the Cubs. I'm not saying that he'll put up amazing numbers next year like he did in his last 4 starts in 2015, but I'd bet a significant amount of money that he'll put up better numbers than Danks next year.

That's fine. He's still older and and I'd rather spend that money on something else.

Would anyone be opposed to giving Brennan Boesch an invite to Spring Training?

He's been irrelevant for the past few years, but he had a couple of nice seasons with the Tigers.

I think it'd be worth the chance to give him a shot to make the team as a 4th or 5th outfielder.

Edited by ChiSoxFanMike