My/Your Off Season Plan

GGajewski18

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 12, 2015 -> 11:25 AM)
Why do you keep suggesting signing players with Qualifying Offers attached? You are going to be disappointed...

I'm not going to be disappointed because I'm just throwing ideas out. This team at the same time needs to get a lot better and not just three wins better.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 12, 2015 -> 11:32 AM)
I'd be hesitant to trade with Atlanta. They've been getting everybody in every trade. Hart joined that org and quickly improved it across the board in several trades. It seems like they might have even taken Friedman for one at the deadline. I love what he's doing there.

I do agree with the ATL hesitancy.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 12, 2015 -> 11:16 AM)
From what Hayes said, the Sox aren't too keen about dealing Q. He is the young cost-controlled they and every team desires. It would take a mint to pry him away.

I agree, don't think they want to deal him, but they need to at least see what his market is. We should only trade him if we're blown away, and quite frankly, very few teams are even capable of that. With the amount of pitching available in free agency, I doubt it happens though.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 12, 2015 -> 11:29 AM)
Sox have never been afraid of moving an arm they want to get out in front of. McCarthy and Santiago both come to mind. Johnson was incredible in AAA though so maybe they can sell him off that. His stats look very good but they really don't do him he justice. He was the best pitcher on a rate basis as well as on a prolific basis. Knowing how Hahn operates, Johnson was getting scouted when he pitched in September.

Given the spontaneity of pitchers (relative to hitters), I would prefer the Sox move pitching for young bats and sign lower tier SP(s) like Y2Jimmy0 suggested. The offensive landscape in FA lacks fits outside of the top guys who's price rules them out. It's interesting, the Sox have never really bought pitching ever. Obviously they excel in making pitching, but they've never even signed even a mid tier SP since who? Jamie Navarro? They've filled out the rotation with scrap heap guys like Paulino, Humber, old Freddy, old Colon and if you want to go back far enough Esteban Loaiza.

Sox are probably looking at E. Johnson, Quintana, Montas and maybe Fulmer as the guys to potentially move to fix the offense. It seems like they want to move Johnson, and they've never been that outwardly confident about him, but past him, I think whoever they move is dependent on return more than the individual pitcher but I hear the Sox are considering anything and everything. There's an argument that all four guys could be at the height of their value too. Johnson was just best pitcher in AAA. Quintana is 9th in fWAR since 2012. Montas coming off the last season he'll have a

Mid tier options:

Fister

Latos

Rich Hill

Brett Anderson

Cliff Lee

Scrap heap types:

Beachy

Cahill

Bud Norris

Unless he is a small piece in a bigger package what are we really getting for EJ though? Probably not much. And then you are talking about adding at least 8-12 mil to the payroll for a guy who will probably put up a very similar output to what EJ would have given us. Unless we can somehow get a talented MLB ready OF/3B under 26 for a package centered around EJ it just seems like an expensive, roundabout way to try and get better. IDK, maybe I'm just more confident than most in Johnson's ability to be a very good #4 starter next year and beyond.

Montas, on the other hand, I can see trading. He doesn't have an immediate role and every year he pitches in the minors you risk injury or a drop in value somehow. A near MLB ready, heard throwing SP who was a top 60 overall prospect should have pretty good value imo.

And obviously I've already stated my 2 cents on the necessity of trading a guy like Quintana if we want to seriously compete next year.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 12, 2015 -> 02:08 PM)
I think the Marlins make a lot of sense for Erik Johnson. Marcell Ozuna, Derek Dietrich and Martin Prado could all be players of interest for varying prices.

There's a different set of teams looking for a guy like EJ as opposed to the Price/Cueto types. If he's a MLB starter, he's got six years of control at a pittance. That's a nice luxury. I do think there's a decent chance the Sox want to deal Johnson. The way they have talked about him has never been very supportive of him. A little bit of Gavin Floyd to him.

The problem w trading EJ is he will not bring back a bundle and he is the only righthander in the rotation. Replacing him will not be a major problem but you need to do it via FA since trading could open another hole. I think he only brings back one MLB ready player and most likely not a SS or C.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 12, 2015 -> 01:08 PM)
I think the Marlins make a lot of sense for Erik Johnson. Marcell Ozuna, Derek Dietrich and Martin Prado could all be players of interest for varying prices.

I was thinking of the Marlins as well. Dietrich and Ozuna are good names that I think EJ can fetch. I like Dietrich because I see him as a Ben Zobrist type.

Proposal: Erik Johnson and Trayce Thompson for Marcell Ozuna and Derek Dietrich

Fair? Who says no?

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 12, 2015 -> 02:22 PM)
I was thinking of the Marlins as well. Dietrich and Ozuna are good names that I think EJ can fetch. I like Dietrich because I see him as a Ben Zobrist type.

Proposal: Erik Johnson and Trayce Thompson for Marcell Ozuna and Derek Dietrich

Fair? Who says no?

I posted a tweet a while ago that said the Marlins were looking for a #2 type starter for ozuna. So if that's the case then you can forget about using EJ trying to get him

This was some guy on twitter earlier….

JOSE C GASTELUM ‏@gastelumcharlie 17m17 minutes ago

Rumores: Carlos González podría estar llegando a @whitesox y unas de las razones es Frankie Montas #100Millas

This is translated: Rumours: Carlos González may be coming to @whitesox and one of the reasons is Frankie ride #100Millas

He's been tweeting other rumors that I haven't seen. Might be all made up.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 12, 2015 -> 04:24 PM)

Rumores: Carlos González podría estar llegando a @whitesox y unas de las razones es Frankie Montas #100Millas

This is translated: Rumours: Carlos González may be coming to @whitesox and one of the reasons is Frankie ride #100Millas

What the hell does that mean? Lol

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 12, 2015 -> 03:24 PM)

CarGo is such a weird player. He has some average years, some above average years, and some all-star/MVP years. Or like last year, an awful year. He is due $17M and $20M. Totally worth if it he goes back to his great years, a total sunk cost of he is like he has been the past 2 years. So it's hard to figure if the Rockies are looking for a salary dump move, or are trading him with the idea that he is is more of a 3-4 WAR player. It's hard to even guess on what it may cost to acquire him because I have no idea how the Rockies even view him at this point.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 12, 2015 -> 03:36 PM)
CarGo is such a weird player. He has some average years, some above average years, and some all-star/MVP years. Or like last year, an awful year. He is due $17M and $20M. Totally worth if it he goes back to his great years, a total sunk cost of he is like he has been the past 2 years. So it's hard to figure if the Rockies are looking for a salary dump move, or are trading him with the idea that he is is more of a 3-4 WAR player. It's hard to even guess on what it may cost to acquire him because I have no idea how the Rockies even view him at this point.

I really believe the Sox are going to look to make a big splash with a trade, and then use free agency to fill holes at a much lower level.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 12, 2015 -> 04:37 PM)
Well it's translated poorly, but you can tell he is hinting at Cargo to the White Sox as part of a deal around Frankie Montas. And the hashtag was a reference to his 100MPH fastball. Maybe the Rockies covet his arm.

Ya I got it after I looked the full translation.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 12, 2015 -> 04:36 PM)

I'd do an EJ package. I wouldn't give up Montas for him though. Too many question marks even though hes my favorite non Sox player.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 12, 2015 -> 03:24 PM)

This is translated: Rumours: Carlos González may be coming to @whitesox and one of the reasons is Frankie ride #100MActillas

Actual translation for those confused:

Carlos Gonzalez could be coming to @whitesox and one of the reasons is Frankie Montas #100Miles

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 12, 2015 -> 03:54 PM)
I really believe the Sox are going to look to make a big splash with a trade, and then use free agency to fill holes at a much lower level.

With rumors coming out of not spending big money in free agency, I agree with you that this off season could trade filled for our beloved.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Nov 12, 2015 -> 03:59 PM)
I'd do an EJ package. I wouldn't give up Montas for him though. Too many question marks even though hes my favorite non Sox player.

I look at it this way...... if Cargo was a Free Agent right now, would you offer him 2 yrs/$37M deal? If not, then you certainly don't sign that deal AND give up players to the Rockies to do it. If you would do that deal, then what players would you be willing to relinquish to sign that FA deal?

Or maybe you use the idea that the Rockies would kick in some cash, maybe $10M. Would you sign him for 2 yrs/$27M? If yes, then what players would you be willing to give up to secure that contract.

That's basically how I'm trying to rationalize a trade for Cargo, and can pretty much be applied to any trade with significant contract coming back.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 12, 2015 -> 04:10 PM)
I look at it this way...... if Cargo was a Free Agent right now, would you offer him 2 yrs/$37M deal? If not, then you certainly don't sign that deal AND give up players to the Rockies to do it. If you would do that deal, then what players would you be willing to relinquish to sign that FA deal?

Or maybe you use the idea that the Rockies would kick in some cash, maybe $10M. Would you sign him for 2 yrs/$27M? If yes, then what players would you be willing to give up to secure that contract.

That's basically how I'm trying to rationalize a trade for Cargo, and can pretty much be applied to any trade with significant contract coming back.

LaRoche, Montas, Micah Johnson, and Beck for CarGo and Lemahieu?