Levine: Ozzie deserves to manage again

southsider2k5

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Coach @ Sep 16, 2015 -> 02:15 PM)
It takes me about 2 hours to get to a Sox game, each way. Why would I want to spend all that time and money going to watch lousy baseball when I can go to the local park and watch kids play and having fun. I have no desire to go.

It's pretty risky to go to a Sox game nowadays. For instance two of the three games where I had free tickets but turned 'em down to Sox vs. KC in KC the Sox were the normal, boring, horrific, embarrasing White Sox. However, the third time woulda been the charm. That was the Friday game in which the Sox won something like 10-1 or 12-1. But if you have to pay, you just can't go to a White Sox game. They are not worth the hard-earned money to risk on a shutout or error fest or Shark implosion. Now if you love the ballpark food and ballpark atmosphere and just have to see a big league game, that's a different story.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Sep 16, 2015 -> 02:54 PM)
Good grief talk about living in the past. Ozzie is gone, accept it and move on.

It's just a message board. Nobody's 'living' in the past or even present on the message board, just spending leisure time and commenting. It's not that big a deal.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 16, 2015 -> 07:30 PM)
It's just a message board. Nobody's 'living' in the past or even present on the message board, just spending leisure time and commenting. It's not that big a deal.

and there are plenty of posters who thinks the savior is ozzie and i wouldn't be surprise it is a big deal to some of them.

as you said, it is a msg board.

every one is right and everyone is wrong.

Glad the White Sox hired Jeff Banister when they had a chance.

Ooops.

You have an opportunity to hire the bench coach of the team that's probably the most on the cutting edge of shifting/sabremetrics/pitch framing...someone who combines the best of "old school" discipline mixed with a modern approach (see Clint Hurdle adjusting/changing his stripes as well) and they don't even consider it.

Not paying Maddon, we all get that...you're not going to outbid the Cubs and he's going to realistically understand the White Sox were lacking in positional talent, but it seems we're just been designated into the 7 Circles of Dante's Hell being a Sox fan these days.

I know, I know...if you're not getting any enjoyment from it, don't watch or comment, and that's pretty much been the case for many I'm sure over the last month or so.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 16, 2015 -> 08:10 PM)
Glad the White Sox hired Jeff Banister when they had a chance.

Ooops.

You have an opportunity to hire the bench coach of the team that's probably the most on the cutting edge of shifting/sabremetrics/pitch framing...someone who combines the best of "old school" discipline mixed with a modern approach (see Clint Hurdle adjusting/changing his stripes as well) and they don't even consider it.

Not paying Maddon, we all get that...you're not going to outbid the Cubs and he's going to realistically understand the White Sox were lacking in positional talent, but it seems we're just been designated into the 7 Circles of Dante's Hell being a Sox fan these days.

I know, I know...if you're not getting any enjoyment from it, don't watch or comment, and that's pretty much been the case for many I'm sure over the last month or so.

You are the king of 20/20 hindsight

Nope, I wrote this at least 4-5 times in the off-season. Actually, for the last 2-3 years. When you work with someone day-in, day-out for a full minor league baseball season (1995), you can get a good sense if they have what it takes or not. Unlike Ventura, Jeff persevered for roughly 20 years in the minors as a coach, went through many hardships and almost died due to cancer and has the distinction of being 1 for 1 in his brief MLB career. Robin's biggest struggle was probably the first month of his major league career and coming back from a broken leg/ankle, but it still pales in comparison.

You can ask Dick Allen.

He wrote over and over again when the Rangers were struggling that Banny wasn't doing a good job with a huge payroll (notwithstanding all the injuries to their rotation).

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/buster-oln...r/post?id=11034

The LEAST we can do is actually have some type of managerial or organizational philosophy. Some of it sounds like Harrelson's TWTW, but it's working for the Rangers. Accountability.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 16, 2015 -> 10:08 PM)
I have gone to about 40 games this year. There have been some clunkers, but for the most part, I have had a good time.

Cool. That is encouraging to hear. I envy you. I need to get a better job and move back to Chicago. I'd like to have a summer when I could get season tix and go to 50 games. It'd be neat.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Sep 17, 2015 -> 06:23 AM)
Literally the only man on the entire planet, including Dick Allen, I'd rather not see manage the club other than RV is Ozzie. Ozzie, I loved you bro, my dad really f***ing loved you -- but f*** you for quitting on the team. Never again dude.

Please tell me in a DIRECT answer. Don't be a politician. What the hell did Ozzie quit?? It was the last week of September and his team sucked and had long ago quit on him. Robin's quit on him this year as well. Please folks answer my question. This is big boy sports. What the hell did Ozzie quit on? A week of more bad baseball? Robin quits every time he puts a position player in to pitch by this type reasoning.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 17, 2015 -> 07:42 AM)
Please tell me in a DIRECT answer. Don't be a politician. What the hell did Ozzie quit?? It was the last week of September and his team sucked and had long ago quit on him. Robin's quit on him this year as well. Please folks answer my question. This is big boy sports. What the hell did Ozzie quit on? A week of more bad baseball? Robin quits every time he puts a position player in to pitch by this type reasoning.

first, he was the manager of the sox .... a season starts and a season ends. a player / coach / manager and etc.... is on the team for that whole duration.

next, negotiating or talking to another team while in the employment of another, while in this case is the sole rights of the team, unless the manager / coach is fired from this team or the team has given permission to the other team to negotiate with said person. then it will be up to the team to wait for the end of the season for the deal to happen.

here is the point, he should have waited and so should have the marlins til the end of the season. ozzie was not fired, he was still employed by the sox. how many times can anyone on a contract can quit???? ozzie didn't retired, he quit regardless of the time left. he had a contract and he didn't fulfill his side.

any way, was that the way to treat the owner who believe in you to manage??

was that a way for ozzie to treat the fans who believe in you??

it doesn't matter if he had a disagreement with someone in the FO. he should have waited until the end of the season. btw, the sox owners, if i remember correctly, didn't pursue any actions against ozzie nor the marlins on this.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 17, 2015 -> 01:42 AM)

Everyone has given you a direct answer. He quit on the white sox.

You are right, this is big boy sports. When your team is having a bad season and you are a week away from leaving them after some tremendously bad PR from your loose lipped sons, you pull up your big boy pants and suck it up for another week.

Ozzie could kill Jimmy Carter and you would find an excuse for him.

Whether Ozzie comes back or not, it really does not matter because none of it is up to us. That being said, Ventura has to go. How many seasons does a manager have to be on a team with absolutely no improvements before he is fired?

Here are his results. Let them speak for themselves!

W L WIN %

1 2012 Chicago White Sox AL 85 77 .525 162 2nd place

2 2013 Chicago White Sox AL 63 99 .389 162 5th place

3 2014 Chicago White Sox AL 73 89 .451 162 4th place

4 2015 Chicago White Sox AL 69 75 .479 144 4th place most likely

4 years 290 340 .460 630

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 16, 2015 -> 02:30 PM)
It's pretty risky to go to a Sox game nowadays. For instance two of the three games where I had free tickets but turned 'em down to Sox vs. KC in KC the Sox were the normal, boring, horrific, embarrasing White Sox. However, the third time woulda been the charm. That was the Friday game in which the Sox won something like 10-1 or 12-1. But if you have to pay, you just can't go to a White Sox game. They are not worth the hard-earned money to risk on a shutout or error fest or Shark implosion. Now if you love the ballpark food and ballpark atmosphere and just have to see a big league game, that's a different story.

Going to a 49ers game in the opposing team's jersey is risky. There is nothing risky attending a White Sox game. It's a game.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 17, 2015 -> 01:41 PM)
Ozzie quit on the White Sox. In Miami, he embarrassed the team with his Castro comments. There was a story that Loria was irked by Ozzie's work ethic, and the team stunk to the point the Marlins paid him for 3 seasons not to manage their team. I don't see where Ozzie deserves anything.

i really don't know what went down in miami nor do i care. it is not sox news.

but you are right, ozzie does not deserves anything.

now lets look at one point i didn't mention.

the marlins must have been talking to ozzie before he quit. this was too well planned out. ozzie getting the job right away. so in essence, they both were breaking the rules. the rules that govern the entire baseball for many freaking yrs.

here is a question, why does ozzie think he is special to do as he wants.

QUOTE (LDF @ Sep 17, 2015 -> 08:35 AM)
i really don't know what went down in miami nor do i care. it is not sox news.

but you are right, ozzie does not deserves anything.

now lets look at one point i didn't mention.

the marlins must have been talking to ozzie before he quit. this was too well planned out. ozzie getting the job right away. so in essence, they both were breaking the rules. the rules that govern the entire baseball for many freaking yrs.

here is a question, why does ozzie think he is special to do as he wants.

I agree. There is no doubt there was tampering. If KW didn't want Ozzie gone (supposedly he did fire him earlier but JR blocked it) there would have been charges, and I don't see how the Marlins don't get penalized. Ozzie was under contract to the White Sox for another season.

I'd take Ozzie back any day. But I'd have to stop listening to 670. If KW is ever gone, this becomes an actual possibility. And I would love to see the uproar from all the fans who would rather hire a clipboard weenie type coach. Most of all though, I would just like to have good baseball players on our team. That would be nice.

QUOTE (Hawkfan @ Sep 17, 2015 -> 09:04 AM)
I'd take Ozzie back any day. But I'd have to stop listening to 670. If KW is ever gone, this becomes an actual possibility. And I would love to see the uproar from all the fans who would rather hire a clipboard weenie type coach. Most of all though, I would just like to have good baseball players on our team. That would be nice.

eh?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 17, 2015 -> 12:39 PM)
Everyone has given you a direct answer. He quit on the white sox.

You are right, this is big boy sports. When your team is having a bad season and you are a week away from leaving them after some tremendously bad PR from your loose lipped sons, you pull up your big boy pants and suck it up for another week.

Ozzie could kill Jimmy Carter and you would find an excuse for him.

As I recall, Management was all for Ozzie negotiating something with Florida in order to get rid of him.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 17, 2015 -> 02:19 PM)
Going to a 49ers game in the opposing team's jersey is risky. There is nothing risky attending a White Sox game. It's a game.

Yes. I meant risking your hard earned money. Good chance of a zombie like performance if you go see a Sox game.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 17, 2015 -> 02:50 PM)
I agree. There is no doubt there was tampering. If KW didn't want Ozzie gone (supposedly he did fire him earlier but JR blocked it) there would have been charges, and I don't see how the Marlins don't get penalized. Ozzie was under contract to the White Sox for another season.

Thing is, KW did want Ozzie gone and Florida took care of the problem.