Avasail Garcia

mataipaepae

I'm not a real big savy baseball guy,but I had a thought about him. He seems to really struggle in the outfield with taking proper angles, just not natural for him. But he is a very good athlete and has some good twitch to him. He also possesses a strong arm. What are the chances he could switch to 3b? At 24 years old he would seem young enough to be able to handle it. Athletically I think he could learn and be fine also.

Body composition wise he isn't any bigger than the panda who plays 3B. And he isn't much bigger than arod either. I don't see his size as such a detriment.

Now I'm not saying this should be done or can be done,but rather just thinking out loud.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (mataipaepae @ Sep 17, 2015 -> 05:19 AM)
I'm not a real big savy baseball guy,but I had a thought about him. He seems to really struggle in the outfield with taking proper angles, just not natural for him. But he is a very good athlete and has some good twitch to him. He also possesses a strong arm. What are the chances he could switch to 3b? At 24 years old he would seem young enough to be able to handle it. Athletically I think he could learn and be fine also.

Body composition wise he isn't any bigger than the panda who plays 3B. And he isn't much bigger than arod either. I don't see his size as such a detriment.

Now I'm not saying this should be done or can be done,but rather just thinking out loud.

I can't imagine him being even an average third baseman. Is he that bad in right? I remember a lot of people thought Jermaine Dye was a disaster out there. I am not a big advanced stats guy but to the eye test, he's better in right than Viciedo was in left. If he could be more consistent a hitter we wouldn't be lamenting his defense so much, would we? Just asking.

Offensively he's hitting .269 with 12 homers and 56 rbi's. 129 strikeouts in 498 at bats for a guy with just 12 home runs. I'd say he has had a very poor season. He needs to hit 25 home runs next year and drive in 80 to 100 RBIs or he's just another Viciedo IMO. He also has 7 SBs and seven caught stealing which really blows.

I'd give him a D grade for this season. He has pretty much sucked. I don't despise him as a player yet, though. One more season like this and I'd say dump him for scraps though.

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Sep 17, 2015 -> 08:49 AM)
I didn't mean it in a bad way. It was something along the lines of "please learn how to hit a high fastball so you can become a star player".

It wasn't rude at all. He just can't take criticism.

Why should he? For the love of God, why should he provide a platform for you to criticize? Someone sees it, and takes it farther. The block was an appropriate move. Whether you like him or not as a player, at least show him some respect as a human being. Would you like random people you don't know criticizing you on Twitter?

Edited by Dick Allen

I didn't mean it in a bad way. It was something along the lines of "please learn how to hit a high fastball so you can become a star player".

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 17, 2015 -> 06:00 AM)
1. Avisail*

2. No, you can't just make someone a third baseman. Especially someone with his athleticism.

The organization has done stuff like this before. They tried to turn Viciedo in playing 3rd. Even Cora couldn't do anything with Fields.

I never understood where the Sox ever thought this would work. You might be able to do this with someone is who is extremely talented in baseball but the organization never gets or can recognize those players. They even try this with veteran players playing positions they are not use to and sometimes it effects their overall play.

He is the fans' new whipping boy. I wonder if that would be the case if the veterans weren't so unproductive.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 17, 2015 -> 09:36 AM)
The organization has done stuff like this before. They tried to turn Viciedo in playing 3rd. Even Cora couldn't do anything with Fields.

I never understood where the Sox ever thought this would work. You might be able to do this with someone is who is extremely talented in baseball but the organization never gets or can recognize those players. They even try this with veteran players playing positions they are not use to and sometimes it effects their overall play.

He is the fans' new whipping boy. I wonder if that would be the case if the veterans weren't so unproductive.

I think Viciedo was signed as a 3B. Same with Carlos Lee. The one experiment that ended horribly was when the Sox tried to convert KW into a 3B. Not only was he brutal there, he then forgot how to hit.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 17, 2015 -> 09:02 AM)
Why should he? For the love of God, why should he provide a platform for you to criticize? Someone sees it, and takes it farther. The block was an appropriate move. Whether you like him or not as a player, at least show him some respect as a human being. Would you like random people you don't know criticizing you on Twitter?

+100,000,000

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 17, 2015 -> 09:36 AM)

Viciedo was a 3B that was moved to the OF. Not the other way around.

Remember when the Sox were talking earlier in the season of throwing Abreu over at 3B so that they could get both him and LaRoche (Yes, it was that early in the season when LaRoche wasn't considered an albatross) in the lineup at the same time.

I'm not saying it's smart, but what if that's an option to move shell pieces around to make this team better? I don't think we're getting rid of LaRoche, and I don't see how to make this team better really with him on it, but let's say we're stuck with him. We instantly have Miggy at 3B (okay, a little less than Miggy), but good bat, probably below average defense. Put LaRoche at 1st and cross your fingers, toes, and eyes that he can bounce back at a year older and hit .250, 20HR, and 70RBI. Now you can shift Avi (although I don't really see him turning a corner, and if he turns a corner, it's a turn onto Viciedo St) or Melky out of the OF and into your DH spot. Upgrade OF with a Cespedes? Or maybe put Micah at DH if we are looking for a cheap option. That gives the team more speed, offense.

I mean, Abreu can't be that bad at 3B if the Sox brought it up to the media earlier in the year. It would make this team more versatile for sure. Have him start 100 games at 3B, 30 at DH, 20 at 1B. Have Saladino start 60 at 3B.

Eaton

Melky

Abreu

Cespedes/Heyward

LaRoche

Alexei

Avi/Micah (DH)

Sanchez

(Catcher)

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Sep 17, 2015 -> 10:31 AM)
Remember when the Sox were talking earlier in the season of throwing Abreu over at 3B so that they could get both him and LaRoche (Yes, it was that early in the season when LaRoche wasn't considered an albatross) in the lineup at the same time.

I'm not saying it's smart, but what if that's an option to move shell pieces around to make this team better? I don't think we're getting rid of LaRoche, and I don't see how to make this team better really with him on it, but let's say we're stuck with him. We instantly have Miggy at 3B (okay, a little less than Miggy), but good bat, probably below average defense. Put LaRoche at 1st and cross your fingers, toes, and eyes that he can bounce back at a year older and hit .250, 20HR, and 70RBI. Now you can shift Avi (although I don't really see him turning a corner, and if he turns a corner, it's a turn onto Viciedo St) or Melky out of the OF and into your DH spot. Upgrade OF with a Cespedes? Or maybe put Micah at DH if we are looking for a cheap option. That gives the team more speed, offense.

I mean, Abreu can't be that bad at 3B if the Sox brought it up to the media earlier in the year. It would make this team more versatile for sure. Have him start 100 games at 3B, 30 at DH, 20 at 1B. Have Saladino start 60 at 3B.

Eaton

Melky

Abreu

Cespedes/Heyward

LaRoche

Alexei

Avi/Micah (DH)

Sanchez

(Catcher)

As much as Abreu has dealt with nagging injuries in both years, I have no desire to play him at a more physically demanding position.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Sep 17, 2015 -> 10:37 AM)
As much as Abreu has dealt with nagging injuries in both years, I have no desire to play him at a more physically demanding position.

Plus watching him at 1B makes you think Conor Gillaspie probably looks like a good defensive 3B compared to what Abreu would be over there.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Sep 17, 2015 -> 10:31 AM)

Yes, he really can. Abreu is a bad defensive 1b. He would likely be by far and away the worst defensive 3b in baseball if you played him there.

"So much better if he could hit the high heat" isnt exactly constructive criticism

and then you made like 5 consecutive tweets complaining that he blocked you.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Sep 17, 2015 -> 10:49 AM)
Yes, he really can. Abreu is a bad defensive 1b. He would likely be by far and away the worst defensive 3b in baseball if you played him there.

Oh, I'm not saying I don't totally agree, but just throwing out options...

I've seen him move at 1B, not very nimble. Then again, Miggy isn't very nimble either.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Sep 17, 2015 -> 11:03 AM)
My Avisail Garcia glass is half full. This is his first complete season in the bigs. I say he will improve a lot in 2017.

Mine is pretty much at a quarter full. I haven't really seen many improvements over this year. It'd be one thing if his splits were changing and he were adjusting, but I just don't see it. He's going the way of Viciedo to me. And hopefully the Sox part ways quicker than they did with him...

I honestly think his ceiling and his basement are similar. He can hit .265, 15-20HR, play below average defense with an above average arm. That's him. Again, not the problem, but also not the solution.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Sep 17, 2015 -> 04:11 PM)
Mine is pretty much at a quarter full. I haven't really seen many improvements over this year. It'd be one thing if his splits were changing and he were adjusting, but I just don't see it. He's going the way of Viciedo to me. And hopefully the Sox part ways quicker than they did with him...

I honestly think his ceiling and his basement are similar. He can hit .265, 15-20HR, play below average defense with an above average arm. That's him. Again, not the problem, but also not the solution.

a 265 avg of'er who can hit 15-20 hrs..... i look around and there are players who will be fa's who is or will get a contract.

now. for avi to get to that 20 hr plateau.

Maybe he can't take criticism but you're the one whining on multiple mediums about how a person you don't know blocked you on twitter. Here's a little piece of advice too, if you're going to levy criticism at a player it's best not to do it in a reply to a tweet in which he is stating that his daughter is a blessing from God. Reading you're tweets on the subject, you are really the one that comes off looking bad here.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Sep 17, 2015 -> 11:30 AM)
Maybe he can't take criticism but you're the one whining on multiple mediums about how a person you don't know blocked you on twitter. Here's a little piece of advice too, if you're going to levy criticism at a player it's best not to do it in a reply to a tweet in which he is stating that his daughter is a blessing from God. Reading you're tweets on the subject, you are really the one that comes off looking bad here.

You're right. It wasn't the appropriate time to post that. I apologize.

But like I said, I wasn't trying to be mean or rude. I was trying to give him motivation to get better, but I guess that it didn't come off that way.

I'm sorry.