Gammons thinks Shark gets QO

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 18, 2015 -> 11:40 AM)
He doesn't know anything. He's just guessing like anyone else.

If he accepts, he'll be the first.

Someone will be the first eventually.

I'm still of the position not to offer him a QO. Even if there's a miniscule chance of keeping Shark for another season I wouldn't risk it considering his pitiful season.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Sep 18, 2015 -> 12:04 PM)
Considering how bad this season has been for him, he may accept and try to rebuild his value.

And it's not a terrible gamble on those terms.

I think it is highly unlikely he does. No one ever has. But I think the gamble is worth it, since the downside risk just isn't that big.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Sep 18, 2015 -> 12:03 PM)
Someone will be the first eventually.

I'm still of the position not to offer him a QO. Even if there's a miniscule chance of keeping Shark for another season I wouldn't risk it considering his pitiful season.

Agreed. Samardzija's last 3 or 4 starts have changed my perspective quite a bit. I thought there was no chance he would accept but now, he just might and there's no way I would take the chance on him accepting and earning around 16M next year. Time for the Sox FO to accept they made a horrible trade and move on from the Shark bait nightmare.

The 16M needs to be spent on the offense and not Shark bait.

I don't see the downside of giving him the QO and he accepts. Shark could be bad, but odds are he's going to be much closer to the guy he was vs. 2015. He's also going to be insanely motivated (of course he was probably already insanely motivated this year) but I think even more so. You get him for the year and then deal him at the deadline (if you aren't in contention). If you contend, great, you got him for another year and can still attach a QO offer after this season and get your draft pick compensation. And if he takes the QO and totally sucks, well, that isn't going to impact your long-term strategy anyway.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 18, 2015 -> 12:22 PM)
I don't see the downside of giving him the QO and he accepts. Shark could be bad, but odds are he's going to be much closer to the guy he was vs. 2015. He's also going to be insanely motivated (of course he was probably already insanely motivated this year) but I think even more so. You get him for the year and then deal him at the deadline (if you aren't in contention). If you contend, great, you got him for another year and can still attach a QO offer after this season and get your draft pick compensation. And if he takes the QO and totally sucks, well, that isn't going to impact your long-term strategy anyway.

That's 16M that could be spent on the offense for a team that desperately needs it. Also, I see a huge problem with paying a pitcher that kind of money for a 5+ ERA. Just my thoughts. :)

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Sep 18, 2015 -> 12:11 PM)
Agreed. Samardzija's last 3 or 4 starts have changed my perspective quite a bit. I thought there was no chance he would accept but now, he just might and there's no way I would take the chance on him accepting and earning around 16M next year. Time for the Sox FO to accept they made a horrible trade and move on from the Shark bait nightmare.

The 16M needs to be spent on the offense and not Shark bait.

Why do people keep writing this? It doesn't make sense. There is no scenario in which not giving a QO makes sense.

1. Best case scenario, Sox give Shark the QO and he declines. White Sox get a top 35 pick.

2. Another scenario, White Sox give him the QO and he accepts. They can then either let him pitch all year to recoup some value and give him another QO next offseason or they could trade him during the season.

Those are the options. Letting him become a free agent and getting nothing in return just doesn't make any sense. Luckily, it won't happen. I would be stunned if the Sox didn't give him the QO. I'd be just as stunned if he accepted it. he doesn't want to be here. He's wanted to be a free agent forever.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 18, 2015 -> 12:27 PM)
Why do people keep writing this? It doesn't make sense. There is no scenario in which not giving a QO makes sense.

1. Best case scenario, Sox give Shark the QO and he declines. White Sox get a top 35 pick.

2. Another scenario, White Sox give him the QO and he accepts. They can then either let him pitch all year to recoup some value and give him another QO next offseason or they could trade him during the season.

Those are the options. Letting him become a free agent and getting nothing in return just doesn't make any sense. Luckily, it won't happen. I would be stunned if the Sox didn't give him the QO. I'd be just as stunned if he accepted it. he doesn't want to be here. He's wanted to be a free agent forever.

Agreed this is the same scenario in which the Bears did not have Cutler playing for them this year.

If he accepts the QO I think it makes it easy for Quintana to be traded.

If the dissention is as big as it sounds he is not taking the QO. If he is looking to rebuild his stock he takes the QO.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 18, 2015 -> 12:27 PM)

I would answer your question but the post you quoted is the answer.

If the Sox waste that much money on Shark bait, where do they come up with money to improve the offense?

Just a week or two ago I would be in agreement with you that there's no way Shark bait accepts but honestly, if I were in his shoes I would would have a difficult time turning down 16M considering the season he has had and the terrible numbers he's put up.

Not trying to take a cheap shot at you Jimmy but the mentality of " getting nothing in return" is something I would expect to hear from KW. At some point the Sox will have to accept they made a horrible trade and move on. If they are smart they come away with a lesson learned and that lesson is to not trade with Oakland.

What I'm hoping for is that Shark bait informs the Sox he's not interested in returning so the Sox may extend the offer to which Shark bait rejects and get the comp pick. Kind of a gentleman's agreement before the end of the WS.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Sep 18, 2015 -> 01:48 PM)
What I'm hoping for is that Shark bait informs the Sox he's not interested in returning so the Sox may extend the offer to which Shark bait rejects and get the comp pick. Kind of a gentleman's agreement before the end of the WS.

This would be a terrible move from Samardzija's side. If he has a QO attached to him it will cost him a lot of money as a free agent compared to if he has no QO attached to him. Could even keep him from being signed at all until mid-June.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 18, 2015 -> 12:51 PM)
This would be a terrible move from Samardzija's side. If he has a QO attached to him it will cost him a lot of money as a free agent compared to if he has no QO attached to him. Could even keep him from being signed at all until mid-June.

If Shark bait truely does not want to return to the south side then this might be best for both sides and that's what I'm hoping for. Key word is 'hoping'.

This is a horrible situation for both the Sox and Shark bait. If the Sox offer the QO it does hurt Shark bait but if the Sox do not, it helps Shark bait and hurts the Sox. This is a very messy predicament for the Sox but they put their self in this by trading for a player that has been very adamant on going to FA because for some stupid reason they thought they could extend him based on Shark bait growing up a Sox fan.

This has turned into a real conundrum. Damned if you do an damned if you don't. I would have to side with giving him a QO especially if you believe he's a better pitcher than he's shown this past yr. I think he'll get at least a 3/48 offer from someone, which is better than the QO offer he'll get from us. I don't think he'll accept the QO.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Sep 18, 2015 -> 01:02 PM)
If Shark bait truely does not want to return to the south side then this might be best for both sides and that's what I'm hoping for. Key word is 'hoping'.

This is a horrible situation for both the Sox and Shark bait. If the Sox offer the QO it does hurt Shark bait but if the Sox do not, it helps Shark bait and hurts the Sox. This is a very messy predicament for the Sox but they put their self in this by trading for a player that has been very adamant on going to FA because for some stupid reason they thought they could extend him based on Shark bait growing up a Sox fan.

I just disagree that it's a messy predicament. I think it's a no brainer to give him the QO.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Sep 18, 2015 -> 02:27 PM)
You use the word "risk"

Explain what the risk is to 2016.

Paying $16 million, getting similar performance, wasting money, blocking Johnson so that he is unable to face big league hitters, not having confidence in your 2017 rotation because the kids didn't get to work there in 2016, not being able to add to the 2016 ballclub elsewhere due to being at or near the max payroll level the team can afford.

You may say that the "sandwich pick" overwhelms that risk, or that he'll come back around next year and be a useful quantity, but "paying $16 million for this performance and blocking any other things that could happen" is definitely a potential downside.

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Sep 18, 2015 -> 01:46 PM)
Why don't they give him the QO and tell him not to accept it or else he will be put in a long relief role and blah blah blah..tell him basically everything you can legally, to get him to decline it.

Hello union grievance. Hello never signing a FA again without paying a ridiculous markup. You gotta play fair in this s*** otherwise you get black balled.

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Sep 18, 2015 -> 02:46 PM)
Why don't they give him the QO and tell him not to accept it or else he will be put in a long relief role and blah blah blah..tell him basically everything you can legally, to get him to decline it.

The White Sox did something similar with Orlando Cabrera in 2008. They offered him arbitration to get the draft picks but then came out and kept outright saying "we don't want him back". If he'd accepted arbitration he'd have gotten like $11-12 million. He declined arbitration and eventually signed for $4 million.

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Sep 18, 2015 -> 01:46 PM)

They don't have to. Unless he blows out his arm between now and the end of the season, he will not accept a QO. No one ever has. Why would he try to re-set his free agency and come back to a place where he doesn't get along with the pitching coach and has been nothing but batting practice for almost 2 months? It isn't going to happen.

I also think the QO contract is similar to the arb contract where a team can cut you in spring training and be on the hook for 20 or 25 %.

Shark doesn't want to be a White Sox. The White Sox don't want Shark.

Edited by Dick Allen