Who would you rather see get more PA's in 2016 for the Sox

Buehrle>Wood

Title  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Title

• Avisail Garcia
    • Trayce Thompson

Imo,Trayce by a long shot. I think Trayce has more potential for extra base hits, lower strike outs and more walks than Avi. Trayce also plays better defense.

I'm not saying Avi will never improve or that I've given up on him but at this point, I take Trayce and see what he can do in a full season. Avi can still get at bats as a part time DH/LF/RF.

If given the choice strictly between the two, I have to start with Avisail Garcia for contract reasons. Avi will be a first-year arb player in 2016, meaning his salary goes up to ~$2 million. That's not bad, we paid Viciedo that, but by the time 2017 rolls around his price will go up to >$4 million. TT we have control on pre-arbitration for a couple more years. Unless we're willing to completely let Avi go, he needs PAs to see if he can become anything.

It wasn't all that long ago that people were thinking he was going to hit 30 HR and be a key contributor on a playoff team this year. A moderate improvement could at least turn him into a decent baseball player and IMO we're not in a position to discard decent baseball players until we know they won't improve with us.

It is a tough call honestly. I think Garcia has a higher ceiling, but that would take him relaxing his approach a bit at the plate, which I kind of doubt happens. I also think the overrating of Thompson is approaching Brian Anderson proportions lately on Soxtalk. I think ideally the guy is a 4th OF and platoon player, which is what we have seen him do very successfully here in a small sample size with the team.

I think my choice would be none of the above, but If I had to pick... given contract statuses, options, and the like, I think I would go with Garcia, but with Thompson on the major league roster as my #4 OF.

QUOTE (bjm676 @ Sep 22, 2015 -> 06:11 PM)
If given the choice of those two, definitely Thompson.

Garcia is quickly reaching Viciedo-type bust status.

come on, i like TT just as everybody, but like Saladino, hot bat, it cooled off, the same will happen with TT. lets keep all that in perspective.

TT is projected to be nothing more than a 4th outfielder who can occasional start.

the outfielder hit in the range of 250 + with 15 hrs ......

does anyone really think the outfielders of today will hit 300+ and 25 + hrs.....

wake up and smell the coffee.

QUOTE (bjm676 @ Sep 22, 2015 -> 12:11 PM)
If given the choice of those two, definitely Thompson.

Garcia is quickly reaching Viciedo-type bust status.

So Garcia is quickly reaching bust status but the guy who's older than him, put up inferior numbers than him in the minors and has had nothing more than a cup of coffee in the Majors isn't? How does that work? This love affair with Trayce Thompson is getting a little ridiculous. At the beginning of this year the consensus was pretty much he could be a 4th outfielder at best. Now all of the sudden some act like he's the next Mike Trout or something.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 22, 2015 -> 01:26 PM)
Said it yesterday in the game thread...

No idea who will ultimately have the better career, but for 2016, I'd rather see Thompson get the at-bats.

If I'm not forced to choose between the two and can play the game the right way, my real answer is that Garcia is the starter at least out of the gates and neither LaRoche nor Cabrera play when there is a LHP on the mound, leaving plenty of opportunities for TT to get at bats against lefties and to maybe earn PAs against righties when Eaton needs a day off.

That said...if you want to "have a competitive team on paper in 2016" the real answer is probably neither of them.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Sep 22, 2015 -> 12:25 PM)
So Garcia is quickly reaching bust status but the guy who's older than him, put up inferior numbers than him in the minors and has had nothing more than a cup of coffee in the Majors isn't? How does that work? This love affair with Trayce Thompson is getting a little ridiculous. At the beginning of this year the consensus was pretty much he could be a 4th outfielder at best. Now all of the sudden some act like he's the next Mike Trout or something.

I agree that Thompson is being overhyped.

However Garcia is more of a "bust" (too early but whatever) right now because he was actually a top prospect, while Thompson was never really a highly touted prospect.

Edited by Jose Abreu

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 22, 2015 -> 06:26 PM)
Said it yesterday in the game thread...

No idea who will ultimately have the better career, but for 2016, I'd rather see Thompson get the at-bats.

i am ok with that, but let them both compete..... go head to head. then take the best person.

Thompson may be over-hyped around here, but he also has skills (defense & BB %) that translate better to the pros than what Avi has to offer. Ultimately I see Trayce as a vey strong 4th OF who can platoon against LHP, while Avi will never hit enough to make up for his defensive short-comings. My recommendation is trade Avi for another young position player with question marks like Plawecki from the Mets.

The minors dont really mean s*** if it doesnt translate to the majors. Avi is not good, it's very likely that he will never be good.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Sep 22, 2015 -> 08:27 PM)
The minors dont really mean s*** if it doesnt translate to the majors. Avi is not good, it's very likely that he will never be good.

ok, i take what you will give me and accept your POV....

but pls explain to me, statically speaking, the stats to expect from your idea of a starting outfielder in the mlb ranks.

use offensive number for your opinion.

then use the defense numbers.

QUOTE (LDF @ Sep 22, 2015 -> 02:46 PM)
ok, i take what you will give me and accept your POV....

but pls explain to me, statically speaking, the stats to expect from your idea of a starting outfielder in the mlb ranks.

use offensive number for your opinion.

then use the defense numbers.

I expect corner OFers to not have career negative WAR. Im fine with Thompson hitting .260/.320/.440 and playing good defense. The fact is, Avi continues to regress every year. Major dip in SLG% this season, increased K%, lowest wOBA of his career, lowest wRC+...the guy is just not a good baseball player. Im fine with them holding onto him and getting him 300-400 AB next season, but he is bordering bust status. In just under 100 PA this season, Trayce has been worth 2.2 more wins on the season than Avi. That's a pretty significant number.