Who will have the better career when it's all said and done?

Who will have the better career?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Fulmer or Rodon? 2 young stud pitchers.

• Carson Fulmer
    • Carlos Rodon

Simple question here. Both guys are young studs now, but who do you think will end up being the better pitcher? I'm going to say Rodon, as I think his motion is more fluid and repetitive, plus he's already improved ten fold since the season started.

I still think Fulmer will be great, but I haven't seen as much of him on TV.

Edited by knightni

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 24, 2015 -> 04:13 PM)
I am one of Fulmer's biggest cheerleaders based on conversations in some of the other threads and I voted Carlos without any hesitation.

This conversation has been had in other places. Rodon's ceiling is a workhorse version of Chris Sale. Fulmer's is probably more like Jose Quintana. While I think Fulmer has a chance to be very good, Rodon has a chance to be a star.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 24, 2015 -> 09:14 PM)
This conversation has been had in other places. Rodon's ceiling is a workhorse version of Chris Sale. Fulmer's is probably more like Jose Quintana. While I think Fulmer has a chance to be very good, Rodon has a chance to be a star.

The Sox got some nice breaks to get both in the draft.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 24, 2015 -> 04:14 PM)

Agreed. Rodon's ceiling is a perennial all-star like Sale. While I do think Fulmer will have a good career, I think Rodon will have an incredible career.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 24, 2015 -> 05:14 PM)

I think Fulmer has a chance to be a star. I think Rodon will be a star.

Even if Fulmer only ends up being a solid #4 starter (which is the worst case scenario IMO), that still gives the Sox a great rotation with Sale and Rodon as their aces and Quintana being a very solid #2 or #3 and then Fulmer behind him.

Those 4 are pretty much locks to be in the rotation for the next 4-5 years, but I would have to think that at least one of Johnson, Beck, Danish, Adams, Montas, another prospect, etc will pan out and be a serviceable #5 guy at the very least.

All in all, the Sox have a very bright future as far as their pitching staff goes. The lineup is another story.

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Sep 24, 2015 -> 04:34 PM)
Even if Fulmer only ends up being a solid #4 starter (which is the worst case scenario IMO), that still gives the Sox a great rotation with Sale and Rodon as their aces and Quintana being a very solid #2 or #3 and then Fulmer behind him.

Those 4 are pretty much locks to be in the rotation for the next 4-5 years, but I would have to think that at least one of Johnson, Beck, Danish, Adams, Montas, another prospect, etc will pan out and be a serviceable #5 guy at the very least.

All in all, the Sox have a very bright future as far as their pitching staff goes. The lineup is another story.

The hope is that a bunch of those guys pan out (or look to be on the path to do so) and we can start trading them for hitting.

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Sep 24, 2015 -> 04:34 PM)

Over the past three years, Quintana is the 7th best pitcher in baseball.

He's a #1 by defintion.

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ Sep 24, 2015 -> 06:24 PM)
This is a silly thread to make. We don't even know if Fulmer can be a starter at the big league level.

Perhaps it is, I just thought it would be an interesting discussion. Both these guys have a ton of talent. The sky is the limit for them as long as they avoid injuries.

Q would definitely headline a lot of rotations and I think getting to see Sale every 5 days makes us take Q for granted a little bit. He would be a strong choice to build a rotation around and I'd say he he is a #1, but he doesn't really have the K potential to be an "Ace".

Now I think there are very few "Aces" around baseball. Those guys that can K 3 in a row to get out of a bases loaded jam and pump their whole team up, guys that can throw 120 pitches and still hit 95+ on the gun and guys that you would bet on more often than not to end a losing streak. The Sale's and Kershaw's of the world are few and far between but that doesn't make Q a #2/3 starter.

As for the question of the poll, I think Rodon will be an Ace, sooner rather than later too, and Fulmer should slot in as a strong #2 with good K numbers but I don't know if he is ever gonna be a 220+IP type of guy with his frame/delivery.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 24, 2015 -> 04:14 PM)
Agreed, no reason Rodon can't be a 1-2. Fulmer more likely a 3-4.

I think Rodon has a chance to be an ace with a floor of being a 2-3. Fulmer has a chance to be a 1-2 with a floor of an elite closer.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 24, 2015 -> 04:18 PM)
I think Fulmer has a chance to be a star. I think Rodon will be a star.

Completely agree.