Why NOT trade Chris Sale?

witesoxfan

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 08:21 AM)
At least for me, it's hard to compare Sale to the old timers (Walsh, Lyons, Faber, etc) because I never saw those guys play.

Not to mention that the game was completely different back then.

It's hard to compare guys of today to guys long ago due to the fact back then you had 3 and 4 man rotations and guys used to pitch a whole more. Some guys would even throw double-headers. The kinda stuff you will never see again. Definitely a different game now.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 09:30 PM)
If Hahn did plan on extending Sale, what kind of contract would he give him? 7 years and $150 million?

The Sox have control of Sale though 2019. With the nagging fear of serious injury, and the regular nagging injuries keeping that have followed him around annually, I wouldn't be looking to extend him unless it was incredibly team friendly with options.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 11:22 AM)
The Sox have control of Sale though 2019. With the nagging fear of serious injury, and the regular nagging injuries keeping that have followed him around annually, I wouldn't be looking to extend him unless it was incredibly team friendly with options.

Yep. So in other words not happening.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 12:22 PM)

7 years and $150 million is "incredibly team friendly" to me compared to what he'll get if he's actually a free agent after 2019. If you thought he was healthy and you could ink him to that deal...you could again be calling it "still a great bargain" in 2020.

Only reason why you wouldn't do that if he was willing...is health.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 12:36 PM)
7 years and $150 million is "incredibly team friendly" to me compared to what he'll get if he's actually a free agent after 2019. If you thought he was healthy and you could ink him to that deal...you could again be calling it "still a great bargain" in 2020.

Yep. Based on the Price and Greinke contracts if Sale hits free agency while healthy and without regressing in 2019 he will be looking at a 7 or 8 year deal with an AAV of over $30 million.

This! No way WSox committing any more to Sale when they have him under control through 2019. The model of drafting high floor college pitching each year serves to add the depth and quality necessary to withstand the inevitable Sale loss in 2020 etc. The model only breaks down when they repeatedly fail to develop difference making hitters and over pay for mid level free agents (Melky, LaRoche etc.) in an attempt to find some offense given their repeated failure to groom their own in house. I am a bit concerned that Sale's 2nd half ERA was over 4 and with his violent motion and skinny frame and agree that the best time to unload him will be either at the 2016 deadline (presuming we are out of it) or the 2016 off season when the depth of FA impact starting pitching will be a fraction of what it is this year.

Edited by bruni

What nagging injuries has he had?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 11:36 AM)

You have four years of control with significant risk to think about before adding over $100 million to his deal to only get back 3 more years from 20-22. Effectively you'd be paying around the rate of Zach Grienke's deal to get those extra 3 years.