Has trayce won CF?

ron883

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 06:42 AM)
Either Trayce or Eaton gives plus pop in CF. I think the other gives you decent pop from either corner. Tolerable due to their other plus contributions. Melky slides to mostly DH but subs in regularly to give breaks. Melky probably plays for Trayce with a tough righty on the mound so Laroche can DH if we're still stuck with him.

But I'm conpletely in the camp of packaging Avi in a bigger trade. I don't think he'll ever see the baseball out of the pitcher's hand and understand the zone against high velocity. Gotta upgrade Avi. What players are on the list of young bad ass defense and 25-30 HRs? Quintana & Davidson for Harper?

excellent... i like it and the idea.

next, avi had his first season without any major injury. he put up a season of decent numbers. he is still young, how old is he?? i would like to see another yr and come to some sort of a determination on him, esp if he improved n his offense.

i can see him, with his defense, being moved to the dh role.

Avisail Garcia now has over a thousand MLB plate appearances - and still hasn't "figured it out". If he was a good defender to go with it, I'd be fine with letting him go another year and see if he can make the adjustments that everyone (including him) seem to know he must. But he's an atrocious outfielder, with a below average bat for the position and (now after 1000+ PA) significant improvement isn't the most likely outcome.

I think you trade Garcia if you can. He should get you a prospect of some decent value, or maybe you include him in a larger deal. Try to upgrade via trade (that trade or another). If you can't get a good RF upgrade, then let Thompson start in RF, Shuck as 4th OF. At this point I feel reasonably confident Thompson will be an overall upgrade to what Avisail did this year. His defense alone is a huge offset, and even at .220/.300/.400 (which I think is a reasonable mid-line expectation for him) he's adding more value offensively with his speed.

Invest heavily in 3B and (if possible) C. if you can upgrade RF externally too, great. If not, Thompson over Avisail.

Not that the Sox will do that. But that's what I'd like to see.

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 09:15 PM)
I don't like the idea of Eaton in left. This team is power-starved enough as it is. They really need a slugger in LF.

and thus Eaton should be traded. Sox could get a young third baseman and catcher for him. He and Trayce play the same position. Trayce is much better defensively.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 08:58 AM)
and thus Eaton should be traded. Sox could get a young third baseman and catcher for him. He and Trayce play the same position. Trayce is much better defensively.

I'd be careful saying Thompson is "much better defensively", this early in his career, as a CF. Also, trading Eaton is removing one of the only two positives in the lineup this year, really. Trading him for Thompson will be a significant overall downgrade, probably. Thompson makes a lot more sense to replace Avisail than Eaton.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 09:06 AM)
I'd be careful saying Thompson is "much better defensively", this early in his career, as a CF. Also, trading Eaton is removing one of the only two positives in the lineup this year, really. Trading him for Thompson will be a significant overall downgrade, probably. Thompson makes a lot more sense to replace Avisail than Eaton.

Yup. Melky, Eaton, Trayce. I guess I could live with that if we made an impact bat trade at 3B.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 09:44 AM)
This lineup sucks so let's get rid of eaton? Lol

The person suggesting trading Eaton, ripped Ventura for playing him, saying he's not as good as his numbers. Now , trading him is supposed to net a 3B and a catcher.

That's living in fantasyland.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 12:42 AM)
But I'm conpletely in the camp of packaging Avi in a bigger trade. I don't think he'll ever see the baseball out of the pitcher's hand and understand the zone against high velocity. Gotta upgrade Avi. What players are on the list of young bad ass defense and 25-30 HRs? Quintana & Davidson for Harper?

Oh god, how has nobody responded to this? Please tell me you just forgot the green text.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 09:47 AM)
The person suggesting trading Eaton, ripped Ventura for playing him, saying he's not as good as his numbers. Now , trading him is supposed to net a 3B and a catcher.

That's living in fantasyland.

Wrong. I ripped him for not sitting him in September and letting Trayce play - although I didn't really rip on that. I ripped far more on playing the "elite" Melky Cabrera day after day. Never said Eaton couldn't produce.

He hit c. .857 OPS after his first month. That will bring value. Which should be the idea. Although some prefer idols.

But don't worry. Eaton will be back. Far greater chance of Trayce being packaged for a declining veteran than for EAton being traded for young talent.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 09:06 AM)

Well, it's not like I suggested giving Eaton away. Bring a 3B and/or C in for him.

How then are the Sox going to get better? You have to trade something to get something.

I think Trayce is miles better than Eaton defensively (a lot of that is because Eaton isn't particularly good defensively).

I also don't know why people are so down on Avisail, yet say nothing about Melky. Huge age differential, salary differential. Both are poor defensively (although Avi had more assists). While Melky out-hit Avi, he still was below par offensively.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 07:34 PM)
Wrong. I ripped him for not sitting him in September and letting Trayce play - although I didn't really rip on that. I ripped far more on playing the "elite" Melky Cabrera day after day. Never said Eaton couldn't produce.

He hit c. .857 OPS after his first month. That will bring value. Which should be the idea. Although some prefer idols.

But don't worry. Eaton will be back. Far greater chance of Trayce being packaged for a declining veteran than for EAton being traded for young talent.

Literally no one ever called Melky "elite", you're starting to go overboard with this hero worship narrative, you never post about anything else. And Eaton is not going to bring back the young talent you want, so it doesn't make sense to trade him.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 05:34 PM)

Did Adam Eaton bang your girlfriend or something? He is young talent and the 2nd best hitter on this team signed to a team friendly contract. These are the types of players we need to target, not trade. You trade Eaton for 2 young players and if you're lucky one of them ends up being as good as him. Not worth. Trayce should be in CF with Adam in left and a new acquisition in right but you have to understand TT isn't gonna do much better than .230/.305/.405 with 15 dingers in a full season.

The hate for Eaton is pretty laughable. If he is traded, it is for a king's ransom. He has tremendous value. He can play a solid CF. He can be above average in left and right most likely. On his contract, he commands a lot in return.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 06:40 PM)
Well, it's not like I suggested giving Eaton away. Bring a 3B and/or C in for him.

How then are the Sox going to get better? You have to trade something to get something.

I think Trayce is miles better than Eaton defensively (a lot of that is because Eaton isn't particularly good defensively).

I also don't know why people are so down on Avisail, yet say nothing about Melky. Huge age differential, salary differential. Both are poor defensively (although Avi had more assists). While Melky out-hit Avi, he still was below par offensively.

Melky Cabrera has a long history of being an average to above average contributor. He's put up 2.5-4.5 fWAR in three of the last five seasons, and one of those where he DIDN'T was a year where he had a tumor on his spine.

Avisail Garcia's entire career has been a below-replacement-level trainwreck in which he hits like a mediocre second baseman and fields like he's never played baseball before.

It's much easier to see Melky putting up a 2+ WAR season that it is to see Garcia putting up a 2+ WAR season.

• 3 weeks later...

I just think sticking Trayce in CF and putting Eaton in the corner makes the defense so much better. Rotate Avi and LaRoche at DH. The defensive improvement offsets any possible decrease in offense, if there even is a decrease in offensive productive.

Haha nice with the maybes. I think many Sox fans fail to reaize that we have way better players than the cubs. Way better. Sure our guys don't feast on junk pitching so the stats are skewed. But I'd take our young core over theirs in a heartbeat. Stay the course Rick.