Hawk only doing road games

flavum

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 11:56 AM)
Glad everyone else thought it was weird that road games were easier. Couldn't he just get a hotel in Chicago for a home series? Same...kinda thing right?

He hangs out in the hotel and takes the team bus to the game. Much better than driving 4 hours a day. If anything, keeping a 74 year old off the road 4 hours a day is probably a positive for anyone else on the road.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 11:51 AM)
Question is: why the f*** would you live in Granger, IN?

Besides the family stuff, it is a very well to do school in one of the best school systems in the state. There is lots of work/money over there in the modular home industry, and related industries. Pretty much also no crime and a lily white town, which is important for many in Indiana.

I think this signals the return of Steve Stone as well. I can't imagine an entire new broadcast team at home, and then someone new to Hawk joining him on the road. I think it expands Stone's ability to work well with a PBP guy who will leverage his knowledge a little bit more, while providing continuity for Hawk on the road with a partner he's familiar with.

We should put a call into Brian Barnhardt. He does play by play for University of Illinois basketball and football. Currently my favorite play by play guy in all of sports and as good a radio voice as you'll ever hear.

He was the Angels play by play guy back in the late 90s before wanting to move back with his family to Champaign. Don't think Chicago and a part time schedule would be much of an issue. We will probably go in house unfortunately though.

Besides the family stuff, it is a very well to do school in one of the best school systems in the state. There is lots of work/money over there in the modular home industry, and related industries. Pretty much also no crime and a lily white town, which is important for many in Indiana.

He has a Granger address, but actually lives much closer to Mishawaka than to Granger. Still Penn's school district though.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 11:58 AM)
He hangs out in the hotel and takes the team bus to the game. Much better than driving 4 hours a day. If anything, keeping a 74 year old off the road 4 hours a day is probably a positive for anyone else on the road.

In my post you quoted I said why doesn't he just get a place to stay in the city for home games. You are avoiding the time zone issues and aren't forced to eat out all the time.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 12:13 PM)
In my post you quoted I said why doesn't he just get a place to stay in the city for home games. You are avoiding the time zone issues and aren't forced to eat out all the time.

If it was me, that's what I would do, but it may be a good thing this is what he decided. I would imagine you could attract a better part timer if they were just based in Chicago, and not doing road games only.

What I don't understand is why he's doing the 2 Cubs games. Maybe with the 4 game series 2/2 that's when he gets a hotel in the city.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 12:22 PM)
I wish we hired the Red Sox announcer who is now joining the Padres broadcasting team.

I have a feeling the Sox will hire a guy like Eric Collins.

Cancel that. He is the Hornets new PBP guy.

I just hope it isn't a rotation.

Edited by Dick Allen

What I gather from Hawk is that he loves seeing the ball parks across the country. Always talks about whichever city the Sox are playing at. Maybe he gets to relive his playing days every season, I'm not sure. But I guess I can see why he'd choose the road games over the home games. He'll also be able to spend more time with his family too.

I wonder if WLS would hire someone for post-game and let the same person do the home call on tv? I guess that would be tough to do. I wonder if someone like Wayne Randazzo would be ready. He was broadcasting Cougars games and working at The Cell. Now he's the Pre/Post host for Mets in New York.