Jim Bowden: What's Next for White Sox?

Y2Jimmy0

On ESPN, Jim Bowden is doing a What's Next? piece for all 30 teams. He did the White Sox recently: http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/the-gms-of...icago-white-sox

1. 3rd Base Upgrade: He mentions Ian Desmond in FA. Also mentions Brett Lawrie, Trevor Plouffe, Martin Prado, and Todd Frazier via trade.

2. Upgrade at C: Matt Wieters and Alex Aliva were the FA names. Also mentions Derek Norris, Austin Hedges, Christian Vasquez, and Austin Barnes via trade.

3. Improve Defensively

4. Improve Lineup

5. Listen to offers for Chris Sale

6. Promote Tim Anderson to big leagues (terrible idea) and decline Ramirez's option.

Jim Bowden is a boob but I wanted to see what 3B/C he thought would be available.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Oct 8, 2015 -> 10:36 AM)
Agree. I would call Minnesota and ask what it would take to get Plouffe.

That'd be a pretty easy obvious move to make if it weren't in the division. Can anyone think of a recent similar trade we pulled off with an intra-division team and both teams were trying to compete?

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 8, 2015 -> 12:33 PM)
On ESPN, Jim Bowden is doing a What's Next? piece for all 30 teams. He did the White Sox recently: http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/the-gms-of...icago-white-sox

1. 3rd Base Upgrade: He mentions Ian Desmond in FA. Also mentions Brett Lawrie, Trevor Plouffe, Martin Prado, and Todd Frazier via trade.

2. Upgrade at C: Matt Wieters and Alex Aliva were the FA names. Also mentions Derek Norris, Austin Hedges, Christian Vasquez, and Austin Barnes via trade.

3. Improve Defensively

4. Improve Lineup

5. Listen to offers for Chris Sale

6. Promote Tim Anderson to big leagues (terrible idea) and decline Ramirez's option.

Jim Bowden is a boob but I wanted to see what 3B/C he thought would be available.

I was originally all for Anderson starting the year with the big league club, but then thought about it more and decided he should definitely play his way there in AAA. If he is crushing it in June and the Sox are in contention, sure bring him up and see if he can have an impact like Lindor had this season (different players, I know).

Derek Norris is a very interesting name though, especially if Hedges is considered the future for them. Hits free agency in 2019, career .723 OPS with a 103 OPS+, ranked 5th in defensive score on fangraphs among qualified catchers. I think he would be a really nice target for Hahn and could probably be had for a reasonable price.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Oct 8, 2015 -> 01:03 PM)
That'd be a pretty easy obvious move to make if it weren't in the division. Can anyone think of a recent similar trade we pulled off with an intra-division team and both teams were trying to compete?

I watch a lot of Twins games. Plouffe is pretty mediocre at 3B defensively. He is also a sub .700 OPS guys against RHP. No thanks.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Oct 8, 2015 -> 12:23 PM)
I watch a lot of Twins games. Plouffe is pretty mediocre at 3B defensively. He is also a sub .700 OPS guys against RHP. No thanks.

Mediocre defense? A .742 OPS? He's been worth an average of 3 WAR the last 2 years. We haven't had something that good at third since Beckham's rookie year.