First airing of White Sox Weekly on WLS Saturday

InTheDriversSeat

https://twitter.com/whitesox

The first ever White Sox Weekly radio show on 890 WLS will be today, October 10th, starting around 6:30 PM Central after Notre Dame football.

As most already know, Chris Rongey is still employed by 670 WSCR The Score, therefore White Sox Weekly on WLS will have a new host. Hosting the first show will be radio newsman / White Sox fan Rob Hart, however Rob is hosting 1 time only and the permanent host has not been announced yet. Scheduled guests are: Rick Hahn, Ed Farmer, and Darrin Jackson.

Fans located out of the WLS listening area, should be able to stream the audio at the website of WLS radio or iHeart Radio app.

QUOTE (InTheDriversSeat @ Oct 10, 2015 -> 02:29 AM)
https://twitter.com/whitesox

The first ever White Sox Weekly radio show on 890 WLS will be today, October 10th, starting around 6:30 PM Central after Notre Dame football.

As most already know, Chris Rongey is still employed by 670 WSCR The Score, therefore White Sox Weekly on WLS will have a new host. Hosting the first show will be radio newsman / White Sox fan Rob Hart, however Rob is hosting 1 time only and the permanent host has not been announced yet. Scheduled guests are: Rick Hahn, Ed Farmer, and Darrin Jackson.

Fans located out of the WLS listening area, should be able to stream the audio at the website of WLS radio or iHeart Radio app.

Thanks for bringing this up. I hope they ask Hahn the tough questions tonight lol. If anyone listens, and can provide an overview of it, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for bringing this up. I hope they ask Hahn the tough questions tonight lol. If anyone listens, and can provide an overview of it, it would be greatly appreciated.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/fan_forum/hot_stove.jsp

Your welcome. For anyone unable to listen to the show live, previous airings of White Sox Weekly are available at the above link.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Oct 10, 2015 -> 12:12 PM)
I don't think I've ever tuned in to 890 before in my life.

It's all my parents listen to on the radio, and my grandma has about 5 or 6 radios placed around her house, always playing WLS, 24 hours a day. She even leaves them on while she is gone because she thinks it will make people think someone is home. I'm VERY familiar with the station. lol.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 10, 2015 -> 01:43 PM)
It's all my parents listen to on the radio, and my grandma has about 5 or 6 radios placed around her house, always playing WLS, 24 hours a day. She even leaves them on while she is gone because she thinks it will make people think someone is home. I'm VERY familiar with the station. lol.

nice name. assuming you like hot peppers...

what's your favorite super hot chili?

QUOTE (Real @ Oct 10, 2015 -> 02:55 PM)
nice name. assuming you like hot peppers...

what's your favorite super hot chili?

It's actually because I used to work at Chilis, and employees are nicknamed "Chiliheads". But I do also love spicy things, and I love chili. No idea what to call any type of chili though. Spicy chili? lol.

Sucks.

I'm up in McHenry county and it might as well be Alaska.

WLS doesn't want to come in north of Lake Cook Rd.

Not true. I'm located north of Lake-Cook Road, but in the center of Lake County and WLS comes in just fine.

Listeners in the far north suburbs will notice that WLS has a weaker signal that Chicago's other major AM stations, but WLS is still listenable. The reason is that the transmitting tower of WLS is located at far south-suburban Tinley Park, while the towers of the other stations are more centrally located: 670 WSCR (Bloomingdale), 720 WGN (Itasca / Elk Grove Village), 780 WBBM (Itasca / Elk Grove Village), 1000 WMVP (Downers Grove).

There are things that you can do to improve reception of Sox games next season. First, buy a better radio. Most radios sold nowadays are junk, but there are some exceptions. 2 radios to consider are: C. Crane CCRadio-EP or RCA Superadio.

http://www.ccrane.com/CCRadio-EP-AMFM-Portable-Radio

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-RP7887-Super-Radio-3/dp/B00120WRSU

The RCA Superadio can improve reception, and also can make an AM station sound as good as FM by selecting 2 switches after a station is tuned.

Second, make certain that the home or building that you are located at has all dimmer switches turned off. Lights or lamps having dimmer switches will cause loud, irritating buzzing sounds heard on any AM radio. Also, keep the radio far away from other electrical products: TV's, computers, cell phones, microwave ovens, fluorescent lights, power lines, etc.

Third, position the radio so the width (front) of the radio is facing the direction of the transmitting tower. AM antennas for most radios are located inside the radio go across the width of the radio. External dipole antennas on most radios are used for FM only, so that antenna does not need to be extended out.

A benefit for WLS is that the station does not run the dreadful 'AM HD', which causes a constant hiss in the background and interferes with other stations located on either side of the dial of the offending station. Both WSCR and WBBM run 'AM HD' under corporate mandate from CBS Radio. 'AM HD' also causes a station's audio to be delayed up to 30 seconds after a broadcast actually occurred. Has anyone listened to a Sox game on WSCR and noticed that the play-by-play is about 30 seconds behind the television or in person at the ballpark?

QUOTE (South Sider @ Oct 14, 2015 -> 11:55 AM)
Rick also put to rest any speculation that the Sox wouldn't offer Samardizja a qualifying offer. Basically he said that "should things work out that Jeff ends up in another uniform next season, we'll at the very least end up with a draft pick..."

There was no way the Sox weren't going to offer him.

• 1 month later...