Article on Hanley Ramirez

Vance Law

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Oct 12, 2015 -> 03:22 AM)
I think he'll go to the Angels or Astros assuming Sox don't get him. I can see him being phenomenal in that Houston lineup.

Can't see him in Houston. Theres literally nowhere to put Hanley. The outfield is full, they have two third baseman already, Gattis at DH and Singleton at first. I guess Houston could include Singleton in a trade for Hanley, that would open up a spot and especially if they don't bring Carter back. If Houston doesn't include Singleton then they have to play him considering Singleton's contract which leaves no room for Hanley.

The Angels could try Hanley out at 3B to replace Freese but that would seem to be the only spot open for him.

I just don't see a big market for Hanley. My guess is Boston is stuck with him. But hey, I've been wrong plenty of times before.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (daggins @ Oct 12, 2015 -> 08:46 AM)
Not me. Schwarber would instantly be our best hitter, and Candelario and Baez are far better than any of our infield guys.

Q hurts, but Montas is a bullpen arm and Carlos Sanchez is a bench player. Gotta give to get.

With the cubs making the playoffs and a good year in attendance, wouldn't it make more sense for the cubs to trade Castro, plug Baez in at 2B and sign a FA SP? The cubs were rumored to be shopping Castro at the trade deadline and are rumored to try again this winter. The trade doesn't make any sense for the cubs to be honest.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have Schwarber.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Oct 12, 2015 -> 09:03 AM)
With the cubs making the playoffs and a good year in attendance, wouldn't it make more sense for the cubs to trade Castro, plug Baez in at 2B and sign a FA SP? The cubs were rumored to be shopping Castro at the trade deadline and are rumored to try again this winter. The trade doesn't make any sense for the cubs to be honest.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have Schwarber.

They aren't getting anyone CLOSE to Q for Castro. Hell, they'd be lucky to find anyone who is willing to pay for him at any level.

QUOTE (daggins @ Oct 12, 2015 -> 06:46 AM)
Not me. Schwarber would instantly be our best hitter, and Candelario and Baez are far better than any of our infield guys.

Q hurts, but Montas is a bullpen arm and Carlos Sanchez is a bench player. Gotta give to get.

The "Montas is a bullpen arm " irks me. He is only 22. Plenty of good pitchers don't figure things out until they are over 25. His stuff is really good.His slider is becoming a plus pitch and once he improves his stamina , command and change up he has the potential to be an ace.

I was looking at his last start when he went 4 innings and K'd 7 and they were all swings and misses at pitches from 86-88mph . Had to be his slider .

You ultimately could be right but the Sox would be foolish to use him in the bullpen now and should give him every chance to be a starter.

He would be way more valuable if he makes it as a starter rather than just another bullpen arm.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 12, 2015 -> 09:06 AM)
They aren't getting anyone CLOSE to Q for Castro. Hell, they'd be lucky to find anyone who is willing to pay for him at any level.

I never said they were. The point is it would make more sense for the cubs to trade Castro to open up 2B for Baez and sign a FA starting pitcher. Q has nothing to do with it.

Edited by BlackSox13

I agree that the Cubs wouldn't do that trade. They don't really need starting pitching and they can bring in a FA without giving up talent.

W/R/T Montas, its not so much his stuff or command as his body type and injury history. He could work past that, for certain, but the odds favor him being a reliever.

I would say Schwarbs will outhit Abreu next season. Just a hunch.

Schwarber struggled quite a bit down the stretch, compared to his hot start.

Pretty crazy to project him among the top 15-20 hitters in the game at this point. Heck, Gordon Beckham in 2009 was similarly projected. Advanced scouts and opposing pitchers will adjust. He will have to adjust back. Look at Rizzo's young career, for example.

QUOTE (daggins @ Oct 12, 2015 -> 10:05 AM)
I agree that the Cubs wouldn't do that trade. They don't really need starting pitching and they can bring in a FA without giving up talent.

W/R/T Montas, its not so much his stuff or command as his body type and injury history. He could work past that, for certain, but the odds favor him being a reliever.

I would say Schwarbs will outhit Abreu next season. Just a hunch.

Give me the guy was only the second player ever to hit 30 HR & 100 RBI in his first 2 seasons

Two years ago, Yasiel Puig would have brought back any player in baseball other than Trout and probably Harper.

Today, the Cubs would hesitate at least a bit to trade Schwarber for him...having already experienced the Sammy Show. Things change so quickly now in baseball.

Once in a generation hitters are guys like Pujols, Trout, Bonds, Miggy Cabrera, Gywnn, Boggs and Harper. He's going to be better than Jose Bautista, for example?

Schwarber has two tools...but can't run, field or throw exceptionally well. The jury is still out on whether guys like Bryant and him can also be high average hitters as well.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 12, 2015 -> 09:52 AM)
Why can't they trade for a SP and sign one? Maybe they'd prefer the cost efficiency of Quintana to offset the burden Lester will become.

1.) Price

2.) Arrieta

3.) Lester

4.) Quintana

5.) Hammel/Hendricks

The point is, Baez can bring back value. Castro probably can't

Hendricks is good as a fifth starter so the cubs really just need one starter to upgrade a rotation that's already pretty good. There's little incentive for them to trade for starting pitching when there's so many available on the FA market. The smart move would be to sign Price or Zimmermann, keep their hitters as well as their '16 1st round pick and trade Castro to make room for Baez. If the cubs wanted SP depth, there are plenty of cheaper options available via FA that they could sign to give Hendricks competition in ST.

In a Sox/cubs trade, the Sox need the cub hitters more than the cubs need Sox pitching. It pains me to say it but its true. I just don't see a fit between the two teams as far as trades are concerned.

Edit: my bad, Zimmermann will cost a draft pick.

Edited by BlackSox13

There are all those guys like Zimmermann, Iwakuma, Latos, Fister, Beachy, Bud Norris, Colon, Shark, Kennedy, Mark Guthrie....why would they give up talent like Baez when they don't need to?

Far better to trade Castro, even if it's mostly a salary dump.

Signing Price or Cueto isn't even all that necessary imo. They could bring in Zobrist, Cespedes or Gordon along with any pitcher not named Price and be in a really good position in terms of roster flexibility. Betting on Zobrist as the veteran added into the youthful mix.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 12, 2015 -> 10:55 AM)
There are all those guys like Zimmermann, Iwakuma, Latos, Fister, Beachy, Bud Norris, Colon, Shark, Kennedy, Mark Guthrie....why would they give up talent like Baez when they don't need to?

B/c most all those guys are awful? Is that the right answer?

The first four aren't.

Iwakuma was very good again at the end of the season after being a top ten guy in the AL for ERA last year. Then, switching to the NL?

Fister, if healthy, is a very effective fourth starter and potentially better.

Latos picked up his fb velocity again and was much better after the first couple of months.

Let's not forget how awful Cueto was in KC, and Shark in Chicago. Conversely, leaving the AL makes a lot of these guys better, like Brett Anderson now with the Dodgers (someone everyone laughed at signing). Heck, Chris Young would be fine, compared to $200 million for Price.

By the way, the Cubs also might trade for James Shields and give up nothing much of significance.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 12, 2015 -> 03:33 PM)
Two years ago, Yasiel Puig would have brought back any player in baseball other than Trout and probably Harper.

Today, the Cubs would hesitate at least a bit to trade Schwarber for him...having already experienced the Sammy Show. Things change so quickly now in baseball.

Once in a generation hitters are guys like Pujols, Trout, Bonds, Miggy Cabrera, Gywnn, Boggs and Harper. He's going to be better than Jose Bautista, for example?

Schwarber has two tools...but can't run, field or throw exceptionally well. The jury is still out on whether guys like Bryant and him can also be high average hitters as well.

we could have an off season argument here about once in a generation hitters LOL, but I will add Frank Thomas to that group

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 12, 2015 -> 11:21 AM)
The first four aren't.

Iwakuma was very good again at the end of the season after being a top ten guy in the AL for ERA last year. Then, switching to the NL?

Fister, if healthy, is a very effective fourth starter and potentially better.

Latos picked up his fb velocity again and was much better after the first couple of months.

Let's not forget how awful Cueto was in KC, and Shark in Chicago. Conversely, leaving the AL makes a lot of these guys better, like Brett Anderson now with the Dodgers (someone everyone laughed at signing). Heck, Chris Young would be fine, compared to $200 million for Price.

By the way, the Cubs also might trade for James Shields and give up nothing much of significance.

I agree on Iwakuma, the rest, lol. 2015 numbers:

Fister

103 IP 5.5 K/9 2.1 BB/9 4.19 ERA 4.55 FIP 4.46 xFIP

Latos

116 IP 7.74 K/9 2.5 BB/9 4.95 ERA 3.72 FIP 3.69 xFIP

Beachy

8 IP 5.63 K/9 6.75 BB/9 7.88 ERA 5.76 FIP 6.16 xFIP

Norris

83 IP 7.7 K/9 3.36 BB/9 6.72 ERA 5.04 FIP 4.29 xFIP

Colon

194 IP 6.29 K/9 1.11 BB/9 4.16 ERA 3.84 FIP 3.94 xFIP

Samardzija

214 IP 6.86 K/9 2.06 BB/9 4.96 ERA 4.23 FIP 4.31 xFIP

Kennedy

168 IP 9.30 K/9 2.78 B/9 4.28 ERA 4.51 FIP 3.70 xFIP

(Jeremy?) Guthrie

148 IP 5.10 K/9 2.67 BB/9 5.95 ERA 5.62 FIP 5.11 xFIP

Who of those guys is an upgrade over Hendricks? That group is hurt, old, about to be way overpaid, or awful.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Oct 10, 2015 -> 10:08 PM)
No thank you to both Ramirez and Zobrist. Both over 30, heading downhill, the Sox don't need more stiffs who are unmotivated with big expensice contracts.

If the Sox are going to continue to suck (and they probably will) I'd rather see a bunch of kids who at least care.

MMark

Zobrist is far from a "stiff". From reading you posts the past few months, I often wonder if you have any idea what you're talking about. I think this seals it.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Oct 12, 2015 -> 01:03 PM)
Zobrist is far from a "stiff". From reading you posts the past few months, I often wonder if you have any idea what you're talking about. I think this seals it.

Can Rick Hahn just trade for 9 Carlos Quentins and call it an off-season???