42 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Cubs
    • Better club

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 07:40 AM)
The cold weather is certainly more favorable to pitchers. It's supposed to be nice out here the next few days. However, the pitching match ups are unfavorable for the Cubs. They needed at least one in New York.

Cold weather is tough for hitters, but it's definitely not great for pitchers either. Not as big of an advantage as the first two games would lead you to believe.

It's supposed to be like 72 here in Chicago today. Probably will be similarly warm tomorrow, as you stated.

With the warmer temps at Wrigley, the Cubs are gonna hit some homers this week, so you can't count them out, but man is their rotation in shambles now with Arrieta struggling. I think they have to pitch Lester on short rest twice?

G3: Hendricks

G4: Lester (3 days rest)

G5: Hammel/bullpen

G6: Arrieta

G7: Lester ( 3 days rest)

Meanwhile, the Mets have their rotation set up perfectly on normal rest.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 01:21 AM)
1. Bryant

2. Rizzo

3. Russell

4. Schwarber

5. Soler

6. Ian Happ #9 pick in first round

7. Baez

8. Gleyber Torres

We don't even have ONE player that would come close to cracking that list on the position player side. Tim Anderson would be a distant 8th or maybe even 9th...and I might very well be underrating Torres.

And some Cubs' fans would/could make arguments for Billy McKinney, Almora and Eloy Jimenez.

Yeah, Jose Abreu is no Gleyber Torres!

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 08:50 AM)
The wind is supposed to be howling out on Tuesday night which should help the Cubs, but if they do lose, does Maddon skip Hammel in game 4?

Either game 4 or game 5 is gonna have to be a Hammel/"bullpen" day. I could see Hammel starting, but he'll be on a very very short leash with Wood and Grimm ready to roll. With Arrieta's struggles looking like fatigue, I think there is zero chance he pitches at Wrigley this week on short rest.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 01:06 AM)
Except for the greatest rotation in a generation part (not with Shark/Danks/Noesi/Erik Johnson as part of it). You have to be deeper than just 3 starters to have the best in a generation, and Rodon needs to improve and repeat from last year.

At any rate, you have the Braves of the 90's (Maddux/Glavine/Smoltz/Avery), the future Mets' rotation (deGrom/Harvey/Snydegaard/Matz/Colon/Wheeler)...heck, the Nationals were supposed to have the best rotation in baseball this season and that didn't exactly turn out, either (Scherzer/Strasburg/Zimmermann/Gio Gonzalez/Fister/Tanner Roark.)

I'm sure older fans remember all the hype about Paul Wilson, Bill Pulsipher and Jason Isringhausen with the Mets 15 years ago. Only one of those guys even emerged to have a decent big league career, and it wasn't with NY.

To clarify - greatest rotation in a "Sox Generation" not baseball in general.

QUOTE (juddling @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 07:55 AM)
Looks like Jake Arrieta hit the wall harder than Princess Diana last night. Gee......my Facebook is awfully quiet this morning..........

Pitching 250 innings in a season when his previous high was 150+ can do that.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 09:32 AM)
In addition to 100 more innings, his fastball has been 2 MPH faster, probably adding more stress.

I was wondering about this since he has struggled a bit and some have speculated he may be at lest slightly injured. What if in his next start he blew out his elbow and needed TJ. Would the Cubs pay him his arb number next season to rehab?

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 07:29 AM)
Yeah, Jose Abreu is no Gleyber Torres!

Last time I checked he wasn't closer to age 25 or under...I should have said rookies or guys with 250 or less career at-bats or whatever.

Not sure exactly where Eaton would fall. Obviously higher than Anderson, but above Soler? Maybe. Maybe not. I suppose with Fowler leaving and the chance to play both Bryant and Schwarber on either side of Eaton, he would have surplus value at CF rather than a corner. Only Theo knows how high their regard for him remains after this season and his playoff run.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 10:07 AM)
Last time I checked he wasn't closer to age 25 or under...I should have said rookies or guys with 250 or less career at-bats or whatever.

The reason I said this is because you included Rizzo, who has been a Major Leaguer for 5 seasons.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 09:13 AM)
The reason I said this is because you included Rizzo, who has been a Major Leaguer for 5 seasons.

Fair enough, he's only 26 and has essentially played four full seasons...not sure the Cubs trade any of their top 4 for him straight up.

Schwarber would be an interesting decision (for Abreu) though....obviously they don't need a 1b with Rizzo. Cheaper/younger/LH and more remaining years of control and can passably play outfield and catch versus 1b/DH.

But very few have done what Abreu accomplished his first two years.