Cubs-Mets (Better Team) NLCS

Panerista

Who wins  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Cubs
    • Better club

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 09:46 AM)
I dont get it, are you just listing guys who are out of baseball?

What are you talking about? Humber should have brought back at least 2 or 3 top 100 prospects. Bobby Jenks was just let go. The Red Sox quickly signed him and he was awesome. Crain was hurt and hasn't pitched again since the Sox traded him, but those are exactly the types of guys teams are willing to give top prospects to acquire. Same with Gavin Floyd. Sergio Santos has been a stud since they traded him away. If competent, that's a middle of the order bat that should have come back. The Sox signed Danks then he got hurt, but there is no doubt teams are offering up their better players to bring him in now.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 03:40 PM)
According to my dad, AM 1000 is talking Sale and Quintana for Schwarber.

Just Schwarber.

Yep, heard the same thing. At first Jurko was joking about it, then Carmen said he would consider it if another Cubs minor leaguer was included. Probably one of the dumbest things I have ever heard in my life.

Schwarber proved that he can't play defense or hit lefties.

I've said this before, but he's basically Adam Dunn when he came up with the Reds, but with slightly less pop and athleticism.

While Adam was at times a 4 win player, Quintana has already proved he's a 5 WAR pitcher for two years now. There's no way that's a fair deal, even if the Sox lack hitting.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 11:13 AM)
In retrospect, Maddon sure did run Arrieta into the ground this year. Never understood why they didn't back off his innings the last month of the season.

Was a bit surprised that Maddon didn't get more criticism for that considering all the hell Baker took for how he handled Wood and Prior. It's not like the Cubs were in danger of not making the playoffs in September this year.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 11:24 AM)
Was a bit surprised that Maddon didn't get more criticism for that considering all the hell Baker took for how he handled Wood and Prior. It's not like the Cubs were in danger of not making the playoffs in September this year.

He only took heat later on after the injuries, that 2003 team was relatively healthy even after they lost.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 11:49 AM)
Adam Russell, Andy Sisco, Addison Reed, Horacio Ramirez, Gavin Floyd, Gio Gonzalez, etc.

Kyle Schwarber, Jeimer Candelario, Pearce Johnson, Tommy La Stella, Javier Baez and Billy McKinney.

Thoughts?

While I agree with the above, I'll counter with Augie Ojeda.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 11:55 AM)
I'd take Castro and/or Russell in an instant. The rest of them? Ehhhh no thanks I've seen enough guys with bad defense and serious contact issues ruin Sox seasons already.

Yet you mention wanting Castro?

For the past 4 seasons Castro has had nearly the same K rate (~15%) and above average defense. He could stand to improve both a little, but neither is problematic.

Compare this with the LF who is on his face every time the ball is hit to him and will gladly provide the 3 pitch strikeout at any time.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 12:10 PM)
For the past 4 seasons Castro has had nearly the same K rate (~15%) and above average defense. He could stand to improve both a little, but neither is problematic.

Compare this with the LF who is on his face every time the ball is hit to him and will gladly provide the 3 pitch strikeout at any time.

According to DRS Castro's defense has been below average at SS every year except 2012.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 10:40 AM)
According to my dad, AM 1000 is talking Sale and Quintana for Schwarber.

Just Schwarber.

Cubs fans seem to think that pitchers have far less value than hitters because they "can get injured more".

Edited by Jose Abreu

According to DRS Castro's defense has been below average at SS every year except 2012.

UZR is nowhere near as harsh about him and I mean, I watch the guy and I dont see anything wrong. He makes the plays he's supposed to and occasionally the one's he's not. He's developed a reputation for being an airhead amongst Cubs fans but as a White Sox fan I'm an expert on airheads and the guy seems to get a bad rap. I think the perception on him is misguided and has a lot to do with his appearance.

I'm not saying trade Quintana for him, but if you can some weasel your way into a deal that brings him here I'd be properly excited.

Edited by Alexeihyeess

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 12:29 PM)
UZR is nowhere near as harsh about him and I mean, I watch the guy and I dont see anything wrong. He makes the plays he's supposed to and occasionally the one's he's not. He's developed a reputation for being an airhead amongst Cubs fans but as a White Sox fan I'm an expert on airheads and the guy seems to get a bad rap. I think the perception on him is misguided and has a lot to do with his appearance.

I'm not saying trade Quintana for him, but if you can some weasel your way into a deal that brings him here I'd be properly excited.

His defense isn't as good as you think. The eye test isn't always accurate. And yes, he is an airhead, his hitting has gotten worse and worse, and his contract... yikes.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 12:29 PM)

Actually his reputation is that he doesn't make the ones he is supposed to make because of focus issues. If he was such an above average defender, Maddon wouldn't have moved him to second

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 12:32 PM)
Actually his reputation is that he doesn't make the ones he is supposed to make because of focus issues. If he was such an above average defender, Maddon wouldn't have moved him to second

And when the starting SS got hurt the Cubs moved another guy who should be a 2B to SS instead of Castro.

That's his reputation, but a lot of SS miss plays. You dont know if its focus or whether people think his cap isn't on right and just assume its focus. It's not secret the Cubs dont like him very much and I'm guessing Maddon is a part of that.

If Theo's expecting a front-line starter in return for him he's getting laughed off the phone. Nobody is trading Quintana for a package built around Castro. But what if the price drifts lower? What if Theo's willing to sell him for Montas? Im not saying I take that deal, but I sure as hell think about it.

With the rest of the Cubs players* they want Sale and I wouldn't give them more than Quintana for anyone other than Russell. Castro is the guy who's realistic and intriguing enough to make a phone call over.

*who may be available, I dont think the Cubs are looking to send Bryant or Rizzo packing.

Edited by Alexeihyeess