Cubs-Mets (Better Team) NLCS

Panerista

Who wins  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Cubs
    • Better club

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 02:13 PM)
Yea if I'm the Cubs I'm taking full advantage of their rookie surplus, trade away guys you don't believe in (Baez most likely) and sign guys like Price now to make yourself legit contenders.

They have like a 4-5 year window before any of their young hitters really require money, you have to spend on pitching now to capitalize. Plus, it's the Cubs, if they need money to pay players they will find it somewhere.

Right, and even then, it's not like the Blackhawks where they HAD to move people. The Cubs can pay their guys if they want. My guess is they won't because that farm system is still bubbling with talent.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 02:06 PM)
Absolutely agree, you cant take anything for granted. I just dont think the Cubs pitching is the sole reason they are 0-2 right now, and you cant say that a pitcher like Hamels or Price( for a hefty return that would have probably included your current starting short stop) would have changed the fact that they are 0-2 right now

Losing two on the road is not the issue. Relying on Hendricks and Hammel to win two games is the problem.

Again it is hindsight because of the Arrieta magic in August in September as well as the bullpen performance in the playoffs.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 02:32 PM)
Losing two on the road is not the issue. Relying on Hendricks and Hammel to win two games is the problem.

Again it is hindsight because of the Arrieta magic in August in September as well as the bullpen performance in the playoffs.

Their two aces lost games. That is who they relied on, and came up empty. They should have come back 1-1 at the least, and then you wouldnt have to worry about Hendricks and Hammels

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 02:19 PM)
The 2014 Mets and 2015 White Sox are somewhat similar. Offensively and defensively challenged, nice young pitching. KW and Hahn get a couple of guys who can hit and catch the ball, another guy or two either bounce back or develop, next year could be a lot better than many think.

They hit 40 more home runs than us and have better defense. They are absolutely our aim as a team set-up, but we need to get closer to average in power.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 02:06 PM)
Absolutely agree, you cant take anything for granted. I just dont think the Cubs pitching is the sole reason they are 0-2 right now, and you cant say that a pitcher like Hamels or Price( for a hefty return that would have probably included your current starting short stop) would have changed the fact that they are 0-2 right now

yes, I think this whole "cubs need pitching" thing was just a pre-season diagnosis of the cubs that sox fans have carried over even though their pitching staff outperformed ours.

But, for leading the league in strikeouts they don't seem to have those classic power arms that seem to do well in playoffs.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 02:36 PM)
The cubs are a one dimensional team. They can't win without the longball. That in itself isn't bad but good pitchers won't give you pitches to bop out of the park.

What about this postseason has supported the thesis that home run hitting teams are worse?

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 02:43 PM)
What about this postseason has supported the thesis that home run hitting teams are worse?

I never said they were worse. I just think they'll continue to have those problems against good pitching teams.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 02:43 PM)
yes, I think this whole "cubs need pitching" thing was just a pre-season diagnosis of the cubs that sox fans have carried over even though their pitching staff outperformed ours.

But, for leading the league in strikeouts they don't seem to have those classic power arms that seem to do well in playoffs.

They've lost 2-4 and 1-4 so far. Their problems seem to be more on the offensive side of the ball right now.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 02:56 PM)
I never said they were worse. I just think they'll continue to have those problems against good pitching teams.

The reason teams are considered good pitching teams is because not much is scored on them. If you are facing a stud pitcher, there's probably a better chance of hitting one in the seats than stringing together 3 or 4 hits. Just look at Sale, Chris.

Things also get back closer to the mean after a while. The Cubs hit all those HR vs St. Louis. Maybe it will correct itself a bit this series.

Edited by Dick Allen

I keep hearing "Its gonna be in the 70s this week and the wind will be blowing out, and that will help the cubs". Last time i checked, Cespedes, Wright, D'Arnaud, Granderson and Murphy can hit some home runs as well

So answer my question: Do Sox get a wildcard this past season if we had Madden instead of "I run a loose spring training camp and don't teach bunting or fundamentals" Robin Ventura? Remember Minnie almost made the playoffs.

I say with Madden we were IN.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 03:41 PM)
So answer my question: Do Sox get a wildcard this past season if we had Madden instead of "I run a loose spring training camp and don't teach bunting or fundamentals" Robin Ventura? Remember Minnie almost made the playoffs.

John Madden would be too busy saying "BOOM"

And the question is not really answerable

Nope, the Sox still do not make the playoffs. Madden would be too busy playing with his telestrator.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 01:43 PM)

The Royals weren't much ahead of the Sox in homers....and they don't walk much, but they run, field, make consistent contact to manufacture runs and then have that historic bullpen to close out 1-2 run leads.

Plus the current White Sox can only dream of a bottom 7-8 of Perez and Gordon. Rios hitting in the middle of our order instead of 9th, that's far easier for us to imagine.

They can also string together a rally with 4-6 consecutive hits. They've done thst twice in the past week...and also came back from an early 4-1 deficit in another game they won in the Astros series.

Edited by caulfield12

No Chance. Maybe if they had Schwarber, Bryant, and Russell though.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 04:42 PM)
Bob Nightengale ‏@BNightengale 2h2 hours ago

If the #Cubs win Game 3, Jason Hamel is starting Game 4. If they lose, could turn to Lester on short rest or use bullpen by committee

Starting Hammel is bullpen by committee anyway