Cubs-Mets (Better Team) NLCS

Panerista

Who wins  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Cubs
    • Better club

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Oct 21, 2015 -> 10:02 AM)
The Nationals are a good example. They shut down Strasburg in 2012 because they just assumed they'd be at the top of the NL for the next 5-6 years. The Cubs' position players are young but their pitching staff is pretty much all on the wrong side of 30 and old pitchers are a big injury risk.

They couldnt account for how bad of a manager Williams was. And the pitching staff is right at 30, Zimmerman is 29, Scherzer is 31, Gio is 30, Strasburg is 27, Roark is 30, Fister is 31. It isnt like they are an old rotation

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 21, 2015 -> 10:33 AM)
They couldnt account for how bad of a manager Williams was. And the pitching staff is right at 30, Zimmerman is 29, Scherzer is 31, Gio is 30, Strasburg is 27, Roark is 30, Fister is 31. It isnt like they are an old rotation

I was talking about the Cubs' rotation, and I don't think the Nationals' struggles were because of their manager. Sure 30 isn't that old and the rotation should be fine for the next couple years, but people are talking about a 5-6 year window, and at the back end of that the pitchers will all be in their mid-30s (I'm including the expected free agent SP this offseason here too), and it's not like the Cubs have promising young arms on the way. Even at age 30 Fangraphs puts the odds of a pitcher spending time on the DL in any given season at just under 50%.

Edited by OmarComing25

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 21, 2015 -> 09:38 AM)
If the mid 90s Indians with Thome, Vizquel, the Alomars, Belle, Lofton, Manny, Colon,didn't win a title, there is no reason to think the Cubs are virtually guaranteed one. We still don't know how all these guys will pan out. There could be slumps, injuries etc. A lot of things went the 2015 Cubs way. That doesn't happen every season. It is easy to assume these guys are young and only going to get better, but that doesn't always play out.

There are aot of similarities between the two teams to be honest. I was just talking about this last night. Its hard to win a title, even with stacked teams. Most recently the Tigers should have won one, but they couldnt. The Mets actually look alot like the Braves team of that era where they were STACKED with pitching.

The Cubs have to trade someone for an arm at some point, Schwarber should be on the block before his value goes down. You cannot play a catcher in the OF in the NL.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 21, 2015 -> 09:58 AM)
The Cubs have to trade someone for an arm at some point, Schwarber should be on the block before his value goes down. You cannot play a catcher in the OF in the NL.

There's not a chance in hell that he comes close to keeping this up. I think he's definitely the one they should cash in on. Castro helped them out by rebounding nicely after the benching, too.

Schwarber, Baez and Soler for Sale. Probably would have to substitute Castro for Baez or Soler....making the deal a no go but definitely interesting. Maybe we could throw in Avi and Sanchez/Micah to get Soler back.

White Sox sign Jordan Zimmermann.

Instant title. Sale would of course end up like Mike Sirotka or Matt Karchner and Cubs' fans would be whining for decades.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 21, 2015 -> 11:39 AM)
Schwarber, Baez and Soler for Sale. Probably would have to substitute Castro for Baez or Soler....making the deal a no go but definitely interesting. Maybe we could throw in Avi and Sanchez/Micah to get Soler back.

Instant title. Sale would of course end up like Mike Sirotka or Matt Karchner and Cubs' fans would be whining for decades.

f*** no to that trade. Baez and Soler will not be good major league players.

this is such terrible. much much terrible

Schwarber has also played like 2 months in the outfield, it's way too early to write him off out there.

EDIT: I'm sure he'll never be great out there but there's certainly a chance he can be serviceable.

Edited by Rowand44

NO NO NO.

Baez is a poor man's Alexei Ramirez with a little more pop, Soler reminds me of Avi Garcia, and Schwarber doesn't have a position.

I would absolutely hate that deal.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 21, 2015 -> 12:18 PM)
God I hate them. They also invited the actor from rookie of the year to be there tonight. Got to keep the image of being a sideshow franchise up.

In '84 Dale Murphy went 8-11 in a late September series that the cubs were swept in and that caused them to lose home field advantage to the Padres.

The Mets are playing this series in honor of BA BA Booey's recently departed dog Murphy.

Terry Collins once dated Candice Bergen who played Murphy Brown.

That's not enough for Sale. If Bryant is off the table then I'd need Schwarber and Russell as a starting point. Throw in Baez, Gleyber Torres, and Wilson Contreras and you may have something.

QUOTE (whitesoxjr27 @ Oct 21, 2015 -> 11:45 AM)
I agree. Colon would gave the Cubs fits i think.

Haven't seen an update as of yet, but yesterday Harvey was having some swelling, Collins said he expects him to start a game 5 if necessary, if he can't go, I imagine we'd see Colon at that point. Would guess if starter tonight has issues Niese will be first up.