Cubs-Mets (Better Team) NLCS

Panerista

Who wins  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Cubs
    • Better club

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 21, 2015 -> 11:39 AM)
Schwarber, Baez and Soler for Sale. Probably would have to substitute Castro for Baez or Soler....making the deal a no go but definitely interesting. Maybe we could throw in Avi and Sanchez/Micah to get Soler back.

White Sox sign Jordan Zimmermann.

Instant title. Sale would of course end up like Mike Sirotka or Matt Karchner and Cubs' fans would be whining for decades.

I disagree with this proposed trade but do believe the Sox and Cubs could be good trading partners, but no way involving untouchable names like Sale. Abreu, Rizzo, or Bryant (probably add Rodon and Fulmer to that list as well).

Aside from a crosstown trade discussion, though, I think the Cubs have a short list of players on this playoff roster that should be on the trading block from now until the next trade deadline. From what I have seen in this postseason, that list would include:

-Castro (highest value in some time)

-Schwarber (destined to be a DH and this postseason makes him look as valuable as possible)

-Soler (just tantalizing enough to get someone to give you their own young question mark for him)

-Arrieta (I doubt they trade him, but he screams 2003 Esteban Loaiza to me)

-Javier Baez (see comment on Soler, but to a lesser extent)

-Jon Lester (Really does not impress me going back to his days in Boston, too. I'd see if someone with $$ that misses out on the top FA pitchers this offseason is willing to trade for him, returning to the Cubs some package of lower level talent maybe including an arm or two)

I know not all of these guys will even be discussed as a trade option, let alone traded, but I would bet 2 or more of them are dealt sometime between the end of the World Series and the 2016 trade deadline.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Oct 21, 2015 -> 12:51 PM)
I disagree with this proposed trade but do believe the Sox and Cubs could be good trading partners, but no way involving untouchable names like Sale. Abreu, Rizzo, or Bryant (probably add Rodon and Fulmer to that list as well).

Aside from a crosstown trade discussion, though, I think the Cubs have a short list of players on this playoff roster that should be on the trading block from now until the next trade deadline. From what I have seen in this postseason, that list would include:

-Schwarber (destined to be a DH and this postseason makes him look as valuable as possible)

-Soler (just tantalizing enough to get someone to give you their own young question mark for him)

-Jon Lester (Really does not impress me going back to his days in Boston, too. I'd see if someone with $$ that misses out on the top FA pitchers this offseason is willing to trade for him, returning to the Cubs some package of lower level talent maybe including an arm or two)

I know not all of these guys will even be discussed as a trade option, let alone traded, but I would bet 2 or more of them are dealt sometime between the end of the World Series and the 2016 trade deadline.

The White Sox and Cubs would be almost ideal trade partners. The problem is I don't see the Cubs trading for their needs. They are sitting on assloads of cash right now. They made $80 million last year, and absolutely are going to explode in their finances this year. Why trade when you can go out and pick up a David Price for something you have tons of, that being cash?

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Oct 21, 2015 -> 12:51 PM)

I think the only reason for "why not sign david price" is how many cub fans are still excited about Lester? David Price was more risky than that imo.

QUOTE (whitesoxjr27 @ Oct 21, 2015 -> 12:03 PM)
Interesting turn of events. Fellow sox fan at work is saying mets lose tonight. Did not give a reason.

Without looking it up, 4 game sweeps in the CS aren't too common. I could see them picking up 1 or 2 wins before this is over. Hopefully that's it, because coming back from an 0-3 deficit to win and advance is a nightmare I don't think the world is ready to experience.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Oct 21, 2015 -> 01:31 PM)
Without looking it up, 4 game sweeps in the CS aren't too common. I could see them picking up 1 or 2 wins before this is over. Hopefully that's it, because coming back from an 0-3 deficit to win and advance is a nightmare I don't think the world is ready to experience.

Well all day I've heard 2015 Cubs = 2004 Red Sox.

LCS sweeps aren't common because it's really hard to win 4 straight games against any team. But it's a heck of a lot easier to get the sweep when you've already won the first three games.

I don't remember where I saw it but there have been somewhere around 33 teams that have gone down 0-3 in the championship series. IIRC, only 5 made it to game 5, 3 forced game 6 and 1 made it to game 7.

Edit:

Found this link.

Edited by Iwritecode

This is the crap that is going around all day today.

ROGERS: CUBS NEED 4 ONE-GAME WIN STREAKS

The Cubs are in dangerous territory being down 3-0 to the Mets in the NLCS -- only one team in history has come back from that deficit. The man in charge of those '04 Red Sox? Theo Epstein, the man currently in charge of the Cubs

With Epstein's Red Sox history on their side, Cubs are down 3-0, but not out

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 21, 2015 -> 02:09 PM)
I have managed to not get bothered by any cubs fans in any place i have been, all year long and all playoffs long. weird

I have the extreme misfortune of working in Eastern Iowa. I would put the percentage of Cubs fans here around 60-70% with the rest spread out mostly amongst the Brewers, Cardinals and White Sox. The Cubs fans I have to deal with on a regular basis have been unbearable all year long. I really have nothing against the Cubs and couldn't give a s*** less how they do if it weren't for their fans.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Oct 21, 2015 -> 02:18 PM)
I don't remember where I saw it but there have been somewhere around 33 teams that have gone down 0-3 in the championship series. IIRC, only 5 made it to game 5, 3 forced game 6 and 1 made it to game 7.

Edit:

Found this link.

Without the evidence behind the claim, if somebody had told me that only 5 out of 33 teams had even gotten to a game 5 after being down 3-0 I don't think I would have believed them. Could the Cubs come back? Of course, but it is an extremely monumental task.

QUOTE (whitesoxjr27 @ Oct 21, 2015 -> 02:30 PM)
This is the crap that is going around all day today.

ROGERS: CUBS NEED 4 ONE-GAME WIN STREAKS

The Cubs are in dangerous territory being down 3-0 to the Mets in the NLCS -- only one team in history has come back from that deficit. The man in charge of those '04 Red Sox? Theo Epstein, the man currently in charge of the Cubs

With Epstein's Red Sox history on their side, Cubs are down 3-0, but not out

It really is comical.

If they do get swept tonight, it will all switch to how the 2016 WS is basically already won.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 21, 2015 -> 02:36 PM)
It really is comical.

If they do get swept tonight, it will all switch to how the 2016 WS is basically already won.

Refresh my memory. Why did the 2004 Red Sox come back? Wasn't the Yankee pitching staff garbage?

Edited by whitesoxjr27

QUOTE (whitesoxjr27 @ Oct 21, 2015 -> 02:51 PM)
Refresh my memory. Why did the 2004 Red Sox come back? Wasn't the Yankee pitching staff garbage?

It was a different game back then but their team ERA was about 4.70. There were also a couple of extra inning games the Red Sox won, which really can be a crapshoot. There was one game that went 14 or 15 innings and Loiasa had to pitch. He of the 8.50 ERA.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (whitesoxjr27 @ Oct 21, 2015 -> 02:51 PM)

Game 4 - Mariano Rivera blown save, extra extra inning magic for Red Sox

Game 5 - Flash Gordon/Rivera blown save, extra extra inning magic for Red Sox

Game 6 - Schilling > Lieber

Game 7 - Kevin Brown & Javy Vazquez suck, game was over in 1st inning