42 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Cubs
    • Better club

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 21, 2015 -> 01:00 PM)
The White Sox and Cubs would be almost ideal trade partners. The problem is I don't see the Cubs trading for their needs. They are sitting on assloads of cash right now. They made $80 million last year, and absolutely are going to explode in their finances this year. Why trade when you can go out and pick up a David Price for something you have tons of, that being cash?

They made $75M in EBIT, but have the biggest debt load in baseball. They aren't sitting on assloads of cash by any means.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Oct 21, 2015 -> 07:41 PM)
I heard he is going back to Detroit.

The Tigers are in an interesting and probably no-win situation with that aging core of Verlander, Martinez, Kinsler, Sanchez and Cabrera.

Because of those contracts, they pretty much have to be in "win now" mode still. They can't just tear it down.

Of course, JD Martinez is younger, relatively...Iglesias, Castellanos, McCann, Gose, etc., but they're mostly a veteran team.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 21, 2015 -> 08:33 PM)
And so are LaRoche, Cabrera, Abreu and Avi Garcia.

The problem is we have no lefty power threat (see Melky Cabrera, who's now more of a 2 hitter) and haven't since 2009 in Thome (unless you count Dunn from 2012-2014).

Compare that to the Royals, with Hosmer, Moustakas, Morales and Zobrist (switch-hitters), Gordon (although he might be gone).

On the other hand, multi-dimensional players like Alex Gordon, Cespedes and Heyward will cost you a mint. Justin Upton and Chris Davis also will, although they're flawed players, too.

Even second and third tier guys like Parra or Dexter Fowler aren't cheap.

Does anyone believe spending X amount of money on Parra or Fowler will get us close to .500? Let's say Cabrera moves to DH, LaRoche is dumped and Parra, Eaton and Fowler was your new OF.

Still not seeing that team anywhere close to .500 with 3b, SS, 2B and catching issues. Maybe with nearly 100% health again.

Even two reasonable upgrades at any of those positions will bring us close to .500, I believe. However, that isn't an accomplishment unless we build off of that onto 2017 with several FA pickups or additional trades. I understand record improvements from year to year don't always mimmick the Cubs, but with the right upgrades I'd expect a 80-85 win team

Edited by Flash Tizzle