ALCS- Kansas City Royals vs Toronto Blue Jays

Jose Abreu

Well, now it's a series at least...some drama/excitement.

Strange that the Blue Jays weren't prepared 100% going into both series (Rangers in ALDS) but seem to have the ability to catch fire at a moment's notice and put their foot on the gas.

One thing is for sure, even if they sweep three games in a row, and that's certainly possible...it's not going to be easy to win at KC, either. Not like the Metrodome in 1987/1991, but close.

Of course, Royals' fans will be ultra nervous again the next time Cueto starts a game. They thought he was over the hump finally and now he laid another huge egg and is back to a semi-goat again.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 08:14 PM)
Well, now it's a series at least...some drama/excitement.

Strange that the Blue Jays weren't prepared 100% going into both series (Rangers in ALDS) but seem to have the ability to catch fire at a moment's notice and put their foot on the gas.

One thing is for sure, even if they sweep three games in a row, and that's certainly possible...it's not going to be easy to win at KC, either. Not like the Metrodome in 1987/1991, but close.

Of course, Royals' fans will be ultra nervous again the next time Cueto starts a game. They thought he was over the hump finally and now he laid another huge egg and is back to a semi-goat again.

The Royals are 6-3 in their last 9 home playoff games.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 07:22 PM)
The Royals are 6-3 in their last 9 home playoff games.

That's a LITTLE bit misleading simply because no team in baseball was going to beat Bumgarner the way he was pitching last post-season.

One thing's for sure, I wouldn't dream of taking Cueto and I'd hesitate on David Price (now 0-7 in 7 post-season starts) if I was the GM of an AL team. It would be Greinke and Zimmermann, with the focus on Jordan because of relative affordability. Price, to me, isn't worth $200 million, not at this stage in his career. Maybe if the contract was awarded 4 seasons ago, it would be somewhat justifiable. Around age 30, forget it. The Cubs will eventually regret the Lester and (potential) Arrieta deals as well.

Cueto, little bit of PR advice, probably not the best time to laugh and smile at the crowd when you walk off down 7-2 in the third #BlueJays

He's about as popular now with KC fans as Alex Rios, Dunn and LaRoche in Chicago. He did at least put them in the ALCS, so there's that one accomplishment to fall back on. But if he ends up losing Game 7 at home when they were up 2-0, he'd be advised to take the red eye back to the Dominican before the local media can corner him.

Edited by caulfield12

Cueto was terrible. Worse than terrible, really. Baseball-Reference's database goes back to 1903, and includes no record of a starting pitcher ever giving up eight or more earned runs while collecting six or fewer outs in a playoff game before Cueto. The man made history here.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-colum...l#storylink=cpy

TORONTO

A stadium full of rowdy Canadians scream out more than two decades of baseball frustration, presumably fueled by Molson, the energy coming first as heckles, then with mockery, and finally with heckling mockery and a touch of humor. This is what Johnny Cueto's failures sound like, the voices reverberating around this strange old dome:

WE WANT KWEY-TO...

WE WANT KWEY-TO...

WE WANT KWEY-TO...

They chanted this after Cueto had left the game, his night finished, by any measure turning in one of the worst starts in more than 100 years of playoff baseball. They wanted him back on the mound here, and who could blame them?

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-colum...l#storylink=cpy

In a win where the Jays pitching yielded 8 runs, I think Jays fans should be cheering for better pitching from their team. Cannot rely on offense every night.

Hopefully Dickey has a good knuckler this after noon and helps the Jays even the series. I think the pitching matchup favors the Jays.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 10:41 AM)
In a win where the Jays pitching yielded 8 runs, I think Jays fans should be cheering for better pitching from their team. Cannot rely on offense every night.

Hopefully Dickey has a good knuckler this after noon and helps the Jays even the series. I think the pitching matchup favors the Jays.

Whoops.

The funny thing is that Young has a 4.9 career era in four starts against TOR and lost to them 6-2 in KC in July.

But, Yost trusts him a lot more than Duffy not to get blasted out of the stadium...and his style/mechanics and slow stuff are such a change from the rest of the Royals' starters and Duffy throws mostly in the mid 90s as well.