Samardzija reportedly has no plans to re-sign

Jose Abreu

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Oct 21, 2015 -> 11:10 AM)
Get them away from Robin and its bound to happen. I actually wouldn't mind signing Shark to an extension if we were smart enough to s***can Ventura in the offseason.

Yeah you're right, LaRoche had all those strikeouts because of Ventura, and Robin made Shark throw all those meatballs.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 21, 2015 -> 11:03 AM)
I think the article got this backwards, the Sox have no plans to re-sign him.

Have you heard anything else? Or is your relationship with your buddy still at odds?

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Oct 21, 2015 -> 12:10 PM)
Get them away from Robin and its bound to happen. I actually wouldn't mind signing Shark to an extension if we were smart enough to s***can Ventura in the offseason.

So using your rationale, Chris Sale does damn good around Robin.........................

QUOTE (glangon @ Oct 21, 2015 -> 11:22 AM)
The Shark has given up more earned runs than any other pitcher this year.

Another baseball non sequitir. The worst starting pitcher in baseball will be signed to a mega, mega million dollar deal. And the signing will be treated as great news by the fans that get him. He's the worst pitcher in baseball. Past performance means nothing once you are deemed an ace. Crazy stuff.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 21, 2015 -> 02:03 PM)
Another baseball non sequitir. The worst starting pitcher in baseball will be signed to a mega, mega million dollar deal. And the signing will be treated as great news by the fans that get him. He's the worst pitcher in baseball. Past performance means nothing once you are deemed an ace. Crazy stuff.

I can give you dozens of pitchers who were worse than Samardzija this year.

I can give you dozens of pitchers who were worse than Samardzija this year.

Dozens...?? That were #1s like him on the team he came from at the start of last year?

Ok - Go ahead...list them.

"Dozens" he says... That is 24 minimum. This outta be good.

Edited by Ballz-n-Strikes

QUOTE (Ballz-n-Strikes @ Oct 21, 2015 -> 11:12 PM)
Dozens...?? That were #1s like him on the team he came from at the start of last year?

Ok - Go ahead...list them.

"Dozens" he says... That is 24 minimum. This outta be good.

Yeah, didn't Samardzija lead the league in total runs allowed...? That alone screams "you can't name 24 pitchers who are worse than me"

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 07:00 AM)
Yeah, didn't Samardzija lead the league in total runs allowed...? That alone screams "you can't name 24 pitchers who are worse than me"

Sure you can. Chris Sale gave up more runs than Eric Johnson. I'd take Chris Sale. There are at least a couple pitchers per team that were worse than Samarjdzija. That would make up dozens.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 07:28 AM)
Sure you can. Chris Sale gave up more runs than Eric Johnson. I'd take Chris Sale. There are at least a couple pitchers per team that were worse than Samarjdzija. That would make up dozens.

Maybe that's because Erik Johnson made 6 starts and did not qualify as an MLB pitcher in 2015? There are definitely not 2+ pitchers per team who were worse than Samardzija.

Edited by Jose Abreu

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 07:28 AM)

No there wasnt

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 08:01 AM)
Maybe that's because Erik Johnson made 6 starts and did not qualify as an MLB pitcher in 2015? There are definitely not 2+ pitchers per team who were worse than Samardzija.

That's exactly his point. The very worst pitchers don't end up qualifying. Samardzija put up a stinker of a year, but he was also 11th in innings pitched, which has value because it means you're not turning the ball over to the Kyle Ryan's of the world instead.

Also, since nobody's narrowed it to just starting pitchers and most relievers are just failed starters, I'll suggest that there are dozens of relief pitchers who would have fared worse than Samardzija if you had tried to stretch them out and given them 30 starts.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 09:12 AM)
That's exactly his point. The very worst pitchers don't end up qualifying. Samardzija put up a stinker of a year, but he was also 11th in innings pitched, which has value because it means you're not turning the ball over to the Kyle Ryan's of the world instead.

Also, since nobody's narrowed it to just starting pitchers and most relievers are just failed starters, I'll suggest that there are dozens of relief pitchers who would have fared worse than Samardzija if you had tried to stretch them out and given them 30 starts.

Exactly. I don't understand why non-qualified players suddenly don't count as major leaguers.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 09:12 AM)

To be fair, if Samardzija's name was Kyle Ryan and had the same salary, he wouldn't have finished 11th in innings pitched. Part of the reason he pitched so much was simply based on reputation and the cost to acquire/play him.

Saying that because Samardzija gave up the most earned runs means he was the worst just ignores all the pitchers that were rocked and sent down because they didn't have any staying power, like the Hector Noesis and Dallas Beelers of the world. But even ignoring those, here's my list:

Kyle Kendrick

Kyle Lohse

Jerome Williams

Jeremy Guthrie

Matt Garza

Chris Rusin

Drew Hutchingson

Michael Lorenzen

Odrisamer Despaigne

Alfredo Simon

Chris Tillman

Anibal Sanchez

Rick Porcello

Matt Boyd

David Buchanan

Shane Greene

Keyvius Simpson

Kyle Lobstein

Sean O'Sullivan

David Hale

Eddie Butler

Felix Doubrant

Brad Hand

Mike Foltynewicz

Matt Cain

Josh Collmenter

Roberto Hernandez

Vidal Nuno

Mat Latos

You get the idea (that's at least two dozen), but just because Shane Greene only pitched 81 innings before getting the plug pulled on him (meaning he didn't give up nearly as many runs over the entire season) doesn't mean he wasn't much worse than Samardzija this year. And again that ignores all the scrubs that pitched around the league that are not anywhere near good enough to get 30 starts, and if they had they would be on this list too. That also ignores all the damage our defense potentially did to Samardzija this year, considering his FIP and fWAR numbers.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 09:26 AM)
Saying that because Samardzija gave up the most earned runs means he was the worst just ignores all the pitchers that were rocked and sent down because they didn't have any staying power, like the Hector Noesis and Dallas Beelers of the world. But even ignoring those, here's my list:

Kyle Kendrick

Kyle Lohse

Jerome Williams

Jeremy Guthrie

Matt Garza

Chris Rusin

Drew Hutchingson

Michael Lorenzen

Odrisamer Despaigne

Alfredo Simon

Chris Tillman

Anibal Sanchez

Rick Porcello

Matt Boyd

David Buchanan

Shane Greene

Keyvius Simpson

Kyle Lobstein

Sean O'Sullivan

David Hale

Eddie Butler

Felix Doubrant

Brad Hand

Mike Foltynewicz

Matt Cain

Josh Collmenter

Roberto Hernandez

Vidal Nuno

Mat Latos

You get the idea (that's at least two dozen), but just because Shane Greene only pitched 81 innings before getting the plug pulled on him (meaning he didn't give up nearly as many runs over the entire season) doesn't mean he wasn't much worse than Samardzija this year. And again that ignores all the scrubs that pitched around the league that are not anywhere near good enough to get 30 starts, and if they had they would be on this list too. That also ignores all the damage our defense potentially did to Samardzija this year, considering his FIP and fWAR numbers.

Samardzija sucked, but you are totally correct.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 09:23 AM)
To be fair, if Samardzija's name was Kyle Ryan and had the same salary, he wouldn't have finished 11th in innings pitched. Part of the reason he pitched so much was simply based on reputation and the cost to acquire/play him.

True in general, but a reputation has to have been earned somehow. Also in Samardzija's case he saved most of his badness for August and after. Up to that point he'd been solid, if still a minor disappointment.