Samardzija reportedly has no plans to re-sign

Jose Abreu

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (MindGame2004 @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 09:48 AM)
Where does Don Cooper factor into Samardzija's failures this past season?

Wherever he lands, it is going to be interesting to see how he does and what he's throwing.

He didn't get along with Cooper. Who's fault that is, we don't know, but I think you probably have to split it. One stat they had during one of the playoff games showed Shark threw his fastball a very small percentage of the time. Bottom 4 in baseball. I also read his slider was a big problem for him this year. He was hit hard vs. it, and in the past it was a put away pitch.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 10:04 AM)
He didn't get along with Cooper. Who's fault that is, we don't know, but I think you probably have to split it. One stat they had during one of the playoff games showed Shark threw his fastball a very small percentage of the time. Bottom 4 in baseball. I also read his slider was a big problem for him this year. He was hit hard vs. it, and in the past it was a put away pitch.

I'm sure a combination of both. Vet pitching coach and vet pitcher. I want to see what his FB percentage is in relation to previous years and why he was using it so little.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 10:09 AM)
I'm sure a combination of both. Vet pitching coach and vet pitcher. I want to see what his FB percentage is in relation to previous years and why he was using it so little.

http://www.fangraphs.com/pitchfx.aspx?play...&position=P

That has all sorts of numbers on his pitch selection, how hitters did against each pitch, movement on each pitch, batted ball data, and plate discipline data.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 10:18 AM)
http://www.fangraphs.com/pitchfx.aspx?play...&position=P

That has all sorts of numbers on his pitch selection, how hitters did against each pitch, movement on each pitch, batted ball data, and plate discipline data.

Thanks! I'm trying to learn analytics in baseball. This will help.

As for the "rift" between Coop and Shark, has it been confirmed? Has Coop had rifts with previous veteran pitchers?

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 10:44 AM)
Guys, I'm not saying that Samardzija leading the league in runs allowed alone makes him the worst pitcher in baseball. I'm saying that it's one factor as to why there aren't 24 pitchers who were worse than him, as a poster asserted previously.

And a list was provided that showed more than 24 pitchers who were worse than Samardzija.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 10:25 AM)
Thanks! I'm trying to learn analytics in baseball. This will help.

As for the "rift" between Coop and Shark, has it been confirmed? Has Coop had rifts with previous veteran pitchers?

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=...=&players=0

This is another interesting link that shows how each team did against each type of pitch.

Interestingly, we were the 2nd best offense in baseball against sliders, but got absolutely wrecked on changeups and curveballs and also fared quite poorly against fastballs. Looking back at 2014, we also fared poorly against curveballs but did quite well against changeups and decent against fastballs.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 10:04 AM)

He threw more cutters this year than he's ever thrown before. And he was about as terrible as he's ever been.

Someone should have probably said, "You know what? Maybe we need to stop having Jeff throw cutters."

Ventura. Cooper. Samardzija himself. File it under the first step to fixing a problem is admitting there is one.

QUOTE (MindGame2004 @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 12:20 PM)
He threw more cutters this year than he's ever thrown before. And he was about as terrible as he's ever been.

Someone should have probably said, "You know what? Maybe we need to stop having Jeff throw cutters."

Ventura. Cooper. Samardzija himself. File it under the first step to fixing a problem is admitting there is one.

Judging by his last two starts, I'd say they figured out the problem was tipping pitches.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 12:25 PM)
Are we sure Cooper is good anymore?

I'm not sure it matters. It would seem that no matter who is manager, you get Don Cooper as part of the deal. He's been with the team to some degree since 1988 and become pitching coach in 2002. They've never looked back.