Adam Eaton Trade Speculation

Y2Jimmy0

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 02:28 PM)
I'd say by all means trade Eaton. Any way we can acquire Tulo? He'd be a difference maker. We need some stars.

This post is so greg

Translation:

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 02:28 PM)
I'd say by all means trade one of our few good players, despite the fact that he's signed long-term at a below-market rate. Any way we can acquire a player who performed well in the playoffs recently and who is very obviously NOT available? Since he's a good player, he would make our team better. We would win more if we had more good players.

Edited by Eminor3rd

I don't think they'd be actively shopping Eaton but you listen to offers...you never know.

With as many holes as they need to fill if you can get two good players for him in the long run you may help the overall talent on the club.

All depends on what may be offered.

Mark

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 08:49 AM)
It's interesting to me because if such an idea was true, suddenly we'd be an even better trade partner for the Cubs. Now, let's speculate Quintana and Eaton are traded -- with the money freed up for the Cubs moving Eaton in LF and Quintana in their rotation (avoiding a costly SP like Price), they'd probably have enough to sign Heyward to a massive deal. Now, what would we want in return to justify helping the Cubs? I'd say Schwarber, Addison Russell, Top two Prospects in Cubs system. Now 2016 we'd definitely take our lumps, (No Q, absence of legitimate leadoff hitter) but think come 2017 the money we'd have available to sign someone via FA. Also you're considering the progression of Anderson (if he isn't included in any proposed Cubs trade...) as a 2B replacement. Perhaps by then we're ready for Fulmer, Montas, Adams.

I never considered dealing Eaton, but it's damn interesting to think aboyt

Now why would the sox help the Cubs like that?

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 07:39 AM)
Terry Boers has always had "guys" that tell him things. This was not spitballing. He made it seem like they wanted to trade Eaton. Now, he could absolutely be making s*** up but it wasn't speculation on his part.

Boers always claims to have all this information; yet, it never comes out until after it's been broken. In other words, his "guys" don't exist. I think he just reads articles online and then speculates on them.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Oct 23, 2015 -> 04:50 AM)
Now why would the sox help the Cubs like that?

Because they're helping us acquire a cheap, young shortstop and slugging/patient DH; in addition to several of their top prospects. It's inevitable Quintana is going to have to be traded. We can't seriously be considering contention with the FA options being thrown around here. If we look at 2016 as another wash season (which it likely will be regardless), 2017 could be our big atep forward. Also without Ramirez' salary, there's more money available to get someone like Zobrist.

Russell/Cabrera/Schwarber/Abreu/Zobrist/Thompson/Sanchez/Garcia/Flowers is a step forward. Use whatever money is available to sign some stop-gap #5 starter. If atleast one of Montas or Fulmer is ready midseason you're ahead of schedule. If not, let them develop for '17.

Yeah yeah I know people like tearing down trade proposals as much as others like creating them. My concern is how we're presently constructed, with as much money tied up into tge current roster, we're very limited with offensive upgrades on the market. Is slotting Freese and A. Cabrera (if we even have the money) into this lineup enough? I'd much rather have everyone in the rotation remain, but the inept management put themselves in this position by assembling a cellar dwelling offense. How they fix it is anyones guess, but they'll have to be creative.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 07:31 AM)
Yesterday on the Boers and Bernstein Show, they briefly talked about the White Sox. Terry Boers said something to the effect of " The one guy that I know is available is Eaton". Bernstein was then excited and thought that was a good idea to free up CF for Trayce. This seems like an awful idea. Eaton has 6.6 fWAR over the last 2 seasons, is fairly cheap, and 26 years old. Unless he's a locker room problem, that's not a guy that a team in the White Sox position should move. Thoughts?

It's an excellent idea to sell high on Eaton, especially with Trayce, the superior defender, in tow.

Boers and Bernstein have had their "guys" give them some White Sox rumors over the years, most have been posted on this board. I think the next one that actually occurs may be the first.

Remember Bernstein's "guy" telling him the Sox were going to take on a boatload of bad contracts, and the payoff to take the contracts was the teams would also sending top prospects as the trade off? He even mention they shouldn't go over the salary cap. Bernstein apparently wasn't aware there is no salary cap in baseball.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Oct 23, 2015 -> 08:39 AM)
It's an excellent idea to sell high on Eaton, especially with Trayce, the superior defender, in tow.

I agree, and if packaged with Quintana you'll have some damn nice options in return. We'll easily upgrade two positions. Even assuming regression for Thompson, and having a slot in the rotation to fill, I'd jump all over the right deal. No one is untouchable. If our management is capable of looking past the NOW (ie, how can a struggling offense trade their second best player) they can really have a lot to work with

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Oct 23, 2015 -> 08:56 AM)
I agree, and if packaged with Quintana you'll have some damn nice options in return. We'll easily upgrade two positions. Even assuming regression for Thompson, and having a slot in the rotation to fill, I'd jump all over the right deal. No one is untouchable. If our management is capable of looking past the NOW (ie, how can a struggling offense trade their second best player) they can really have a lot to work with

I think you'd get more in separate deals. Why don't people understand how much Quintana is actually worth?

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Oct 23, 2015 -> 08:56 AM)

We still aren't sure Thompson can hit on a full time basis yet. He could be like Brian Anderson or Jordan Danks... nice in the outfield but can't hit his way out of a wet paper bag.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 23, 2015 -> 09:05 AM)
I think you'd get more in separate deals. Why don't people understand how much Quintana is actually worth?

I'm not undervaluing Quintana. Of course they'd probably receive more in overall number of players returning to the SOX, but with the right team it could be the concept of, "Both our needs are met so we'll give up the higher valued positional player"

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Oct 23, 2015 -> 09:08 AM)
We still aren't sure Thompson can hit on a full time basis yet. He could be like Brian Anderson or Jordan Danks... nice in the outfield but can't hit his way out of a wet paper bag.

I am already pretty sure he can't. Nothing in his minor league career screamed at me good major league hitter. Heck even his time here was inflated by a really hot start.