White Sox looking for new 3B and C

southsider2k5

The problem trading anyone from the rotation of Sale, Q, Rodon, Johnson, Danks creates a new hole. Montas and Fulmer need more time in the minors and I'm not sold on Beck as a replacement. This means the Sox would have to look to FA for an arm which takes money away from trying to improve the lineup. IMHO, trading a starting pitcher creates an even bigger problem than the current problem the SOX have, hitters.

Edited by BlackSox13

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 24, 2015 -> 09:46 AM)
Don't take this the wrong way, but you seem to be missing out on the big picture here. You constantly scream out "hero worshipping" at anyone who wants to add veteran talent to the team, but completely ignore that we have several incredibly valuable assets that lose value every season we don't compete. Trading for prospects pushes back our timeline further and is counter-productive given our core. Therefore, either you add veteran pieces and try to win now or trade away all these pieces and do a complete rebuild. "Selling high on Eaton", which I've seen you propose in multiple threads, is pretty much the worst type of move we could make unless comes with selling high on Sale, Quintana, & Abreu.

I would actually love to here you spell out a long-term plan on getting us back to the post-season rather than shooting down every idea that doesn't involve acquiring or giving playing time to a young player.

You seem to be limiting the choices to prospects or veterans. There are also MLB ready young players. I would rather see the Sox acquire a young MLB ready player over a prospect or veteran. I agree Eaton is one asset we need to hold on to. He is a young player who is productive. Find a few more like him instead of prospects who are a few years away or veterans who may be on the decline.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 24, 2015 -> 09:32 AM)
I'm all for being realistic, but if Freese is one the big moves we make, we very likely won't be competing next year and might as well give the playing time to Saladino. Having said that, I'm not sure the front office agrees with me and I could them just plug a few holes with low ceiling guys like Freese and hope for internal improvement at other spots. Hopefully I'm just being pessimistic here and Hahn has grander plans. IMO, this team can compete next year if we add two big bats.

I wasn't considering Freese as a "big move" but merely filling a hole.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 24, 2015 -> 09:30 AM)
All Wieters needs with Boras as his agent:

1) a dearth of veteran, experienced catching talent on the market

2) at least 10-15 teams looking to upgrade that position

He will get more years and total dollars than most around here are expecting. Supply and demand. This is not Stephen Drew or Kendrys Morales we're talking about, but a talented (albeit enigmatic) catcher fairly close to his prime years.

While agreeing with that sentiment, I still think he won't break the bank. He's missed a lot of games the past couple seasons. That will deter some teams from spending a lot of money on him.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 24, 2015 -> 11:51 AM)
How clutch is Frazier?

I'd rather the team signed a lower tier FA SP in an abundant market than try to find a new position player in FA.

I agree with this. Trust your scouts, sign a high upside guy, try to flip to a WC team at deadline and hope for a career first half out of them.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 24, 2015 -> 11:51 AM)
I'd rather the team signed a lower tier FA SP in an abundant market than try to find a new position player in FA.

I'm not against the idea but it depends on the Sox pitcher that's traded and the pitcher the Sox sign. The pitcher traded would almost have to be Johnson. If one of Sale, Q or Rodon were traded that lower tier FA pitcher would be a significant downgrade to those three and Danks is likely going nowhere ( contract/performance) which leaves EJ.

Since Baez name was mentioned I'll roll with that despite my reservations with his defense. Let's say the cubs were interested in EJ, what else do the Sox include with EJ to get Baez in return? Would Johnson and Johnson pry Baez and say, Vogelbach away from the cubs? Just a guess but I'd bet the cubs would rather trade Castro to keep Baez and play him at 2nd.

I still doubt the Sox and cubs would actually make a trade but it has happened in the past, albeit years ago.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Oct 24, 2015 -> 12:29 PM)
I'm not against the idea but it depends on the Sox pitcher that's traded and the pitcher the Sox sign. The pitcher traded would almost have to be Johnson. If one of Sale, Q or Rodon were traded that lower tier FA pitcher would be a significant downgrade to those three and Danks is likely going nowhere ( contract/performance) which leaves EJ.

Since Baez name was mentioned I'll roll with that despite my reservations with his defense. Let's say the cubs were interested in EJ, what else do the Sox include with EJ to get Baez in return? Would Johnson and Johnson pry Baez and say, Vogelbach away from the cubs? Just a guess but I'd bet the cubs would rather trade Castro to keep Baez and play him at 2nd.

I still doubt the Sox and cubs would actually make a trade but it has happened in the past, albeit years ago.

I was watching something yesterday where they said there are people with the Cubs that think Baez is a better SS than Russell. The Cubs aren't going to trade him in a trade where Eric Johnson is the headliner. They probably wouldn't even trade him for Q

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 24, 2015 -> 12:44 PM)
I was watching something yesterday where they said there are people with the Cubs that think Baez is a better SS than Russell. The Cubs aren't going to trade him in a trade where Eric Johnson is the headliner. They probably wouldn't even trade him for Q

You think the Cubs wouldn't trade Baez for Quintana? I'm really hope you're messing around, because it's Hahn who would reject that trade not Theo.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 24, 2015 -> 12:44 PM)

I guess the cubs are still pretty high on Baez and that's understable given his youth and talent potential. Pretty much confirms the cubs would prefer to move Castro to make room for Baez. Would free up money for a FA pitcher signing or even sign a guy like Cespedes whom, iirc, have been rumored to be interested in.

In the end I seriously doubt a Sox/cubs trade would actually happen. Unless the Sox FO has interest in Castro?

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 24, 2015 -> 01:36 PM)
Based on what exactly?

Based on the fact he is 22 and they think he is going to be a stud. When he was 21 he was considered one of the top 5 prospects in the game.

If the Sox want Cubs prospects who played this year, Castro is the guy they would dump, maybe Soler. It is just fantasy to think the Sox could get Schwarber or Baez. Maybe if they traded Sale. You can tell me I am wrong, but when you see the Cubs 2016 roster you will see I was right.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 24, 2015 -> 01:54 PM)
Based on the fact he is 22 and they think he is going to be a stud. When he was 21 he was considered one of the top 5 prospects in the game.

If the Sox want Cubs prospects who played this year, Castro is the guy they would dump, maybe Soler. It is just fantasy to think the Sox could get Schwarber or Baez. Maybe if they traded Sale. You can tell me I am wrong, but when you see the Cubs 2016 roster you will see I was right.

I had to blink three times to confirm this wasn't a caulfield post. Why are you undervaluing Jose Quintana so much? He was 14th in pitching WAR this year, has a strong track record, & is under contract for the next five seasons at $8M per. He's without question one of the most valuable SP assets in baseball. The fact that you think Theo wouldn't trade Javier Baez, a guy who hasn't proved anything in the majors and has a history of contact issues, straight up for Quintana is beyond mind boggling IMO. Are you actually suggesting Baez is the more valuable asset of the two?

And are you actually suggesting they might not trade Scwarber or Baez for Sale? If so, wow is all I can say.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 24, 2015 -> 02:04 PM)
I had to blink three times to confirm this wasn't a caulfield post. Why are you undervaluing Jose Quintana so much? He was 14th in pitching WAR this year, has a strong track record, & is under contract for the next five seasons at $8M per. He's without question one of the most valuable SP assets in baseball. The fact that you think Theo wouldn't trade Javier Baez, a guy who hasn't proved anything in the majors and has a history of contact issues, straight up for Quintana is beyond mind boggling IMO. Are you actually suggesting Baez is the more valuable asset of the two?

And are you actually suggesting they might not trade Scwarber or Baez for Sale? If so, wow is all I can say.

I think the Tyson Ross to the Cubs deadline deal fell through this year because Theo was unwilling to include Baez. Q is better than Ross but Cubs might still balk at that trade even though Quintana at this point is much more valuable. I also wouldn't trade Q for Schwarber but I don't think the Cubs do that trade either. I really don't see us being a match.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 24, 2015 -> 01:51 PM)
I like Latos. I'd keep an eye on Iwakuma but not sure how to gage his value in the open market.

As far as the Cubs, I think they move Soler and Castro. Personally, given that they probably get next to nothing for Castro, I would consider going Baez-Russell-Castro at 3B-SS-2B with LaStella being a change of pace 2B/3B. Move Bryant to RF, with Schwarber in LF and get a great defender in CF.

Where'd all this Baez talk start? Are we interested in him?

As for a SP, I think we'll be in on some.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 24, 2015 -> 01:04 PM)

I'd say that's even more extreme than Schwarber, Baez and Soler for Sale...with the hope of getting Russell included over Baez but it being highly unlikely.

The Cubs have to realize they need some pesky contact hitters in that line-up. All or nothing was exposed by the Mets...their inability to manufacture runs via any method but xb hits.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 23, 2015 -> 05:38 PM)
Nick Hundley could be a really nice shrewd pick up. He is a very good defensive catcher who happened to hit .301 last year with 10 HR in the biggest pitcher's park in baseball.

Did you just call Coors Field, the best hitter's park in the history of baseball, "the biggest pitcher's park in baseball"?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 24, 2015 -> 01:26 PM)
Neither would Theo.

The Cubs would trade Baez for Quintana in a second. Quintana is exactly the type of guy they are looking for. He's 8th in baseball in fWAR for pitchers since 2013. He's basically the same pitcher as the guy they gave $155 million to and he's much younger and locked up long-term. The undervaluing of Jose Quintana on this website day after day astounds me.

Just to entertain the Sox/cubs trade idea. I wonder if something like Erik Johnson for Villanueva/Castro would be close? Sox could decline Alexei's option and go after a FA pitcher like Latos or preferably Iwakuma. I'm not really a fan of Castro but his contract is relatively cheap and he is only 25 so there's still hope for his bat and him developing into a decent SS or 2BB. Not sure the cubs would be interested in EJ though.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 24, 2015 -> 01:51 PM)
I like Latos. I'd keep an eye on Iwakuma but not sure how to gage his value in the open market.

As far as the Cubs, I think they move Soler and Castro. Personally, given that they probably get next to nothing for Castro, I would consider going Baez-Russell-Castro at 3B-SS-2B with LaStella being a change of pace 2B/3B. Move Bryant to RF, with Schwarber in LF and get a great defender in CF.

Hitters like Latos, too.