Byung-ho Park bidding rights won by Twins, $12.85 m

southsider2k5

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 8, 2015 -> 01:45 PM)
He did play a little 3rd. Can he be worse with the glove than Gilaspie?

I don't think anyone can be worse than Gillaspie (scratch that: Viciedo). If he has experience, I'd be willing to gamble on him at third for a year (after that, he can move into a 1B/DH role when LaRoche is gone).

Edited by soxfan2014

Guess of course

2nd on Abreu (might have won WS had they come out first).

They've had inconsistency at first and no one they're satisfied with.

Astros have their foundation built, with a strong pipeline of young talent. They can afford to hero worship to plug a hole. And with most of the players from Asia, the price is reasonable.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 8, 2015 -> 05:03 PM)
I don't think anyone can be worse than Gillaspie (scratch that: Viciedo). If he has experience, I'd be willing to gamble on him at third for a year (after that, he can move into a 1B/DH role when LaRoche is gone).

Sign someone to big bucks and play them out of position? No thanks.

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Nov 8, 2015 -> 04:08 PM)
Sign someone to big bucks and play them out of position? No thanks.

He won't get big bucks. The Korean market is still fairly new and will take more success for them to get paid. The more likely scenario if we sign this guy (cheap) is that we deal LaRoche eating almost half the contract for nothing or just releasing him.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 8, 2015 -> 04:12 PM)
I imagine hell make like 3 million. Not really big bucks. Obviously the posting fee adds a decent amount but it's still not really gonna be big bucks.

A couple baseball insiders have estimated his potential contract around 5/$40M on top of the $12M bid. Maybe they're a bit high (my guess is he'll get less), but we're looking at a lot more than $3M per year all-in.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 8, 2015 -> 04:21 PM)
A couple baseball insiders have estimated his potential contact around 5/$40M on top of the $12M bid. Maybe they're a bit high, but we're looking at a lot more than $3M per year all-in.

Personally, I think they are just a bit high. I'm going to go with 4/30 ($7.5 mill annually). Again, that's just my guess (it still may be a little high).

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 8, 2015 -> 05:21 PM)
A couple baseball insiders have estimated his potential contract around 5/$40M on top of the $12M bid. Maybe they're a bit high (my guess is he'll get less than that), but we're looking at a lot more than $3M per year all-in.

Kang got 2.5 for 4. I don't know why you'd offer him a lot more than that. If he asks for 40 million, tell him he can go back to Korea, lol.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 8, 2015 -> 04:22 PM)
Personally, I think they are just a bit high. I'm going to go with 4/30 ($7.5 mill annually). Again, that's just my opinion.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 8, 2015 -> 04:23 PM)
Kang got 2.5 for 4. I don't know why you'd offer him a lot more than that. If he asks for 40 million, tell him he can go back to Korea, lol.

I agree 5/$40M seems way too high, but we also saw how the Cuban market changed after the Abreu signing. And I know it's different because of the posting system, but teams aren't going to completely disrespect these players in negotiations if they feel the Korean pipeline is important long-term. This guy should get considerably more than Kang. I'll think he gets $6M per year on top of the posting fee.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 8, 2015 -> 04:30 PM)
I agree 5/$40M seems way too high, but we also saw how the Cuban market changed after the Abreu signing. And I know it's different because of the posting system, but teams aren't going to completely disrespect these players in negotiations if they feel the Korean pipeline is important long-term. This guy should get considerably more than Kang. I'll think he gets $6M per year on top of the posting fee.

Right. More than Kang but not a crazy amount. Plus, a few mill of it will probably go in as a signing bonus bring his salary down for each of the years.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 8, 2015 -> 04:23 PM)

Because Kang was WAY underpriced because of the uncertiainty of how he would make it in MLB>

Per mlbtraderumors:

For the record, here are the clubs whose participation in the Park sweepstakes has yet to be addressed: the Phillies, Marlins, Braves, Brewers, Reds, Pirates, Cubs, Royals, White Sox, Twins, Rays, Athletics and Astros.

That's 13 clubs that are still posibilities. How many of these teams actually need a 1B?