MLB trade rumors mentioned Sox at potential destination for Wieters

southsider2k5

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Oct 30, 2015 -> 08:55 PM)
Plawecki/Norris and Frazier are my top trade targets for CWS with Hawkins, Sanchez, Saladino, Erik Johnson, May, Nieto, Beck, and Coats all being available to deal (Montas, Fulmer, Rodon, Thompson untouchable). As much as I would love Weiters on the South Side, his price isn't right and ATL will almost surely lock him up. Flowers isn't the answer and the hopefully contending Sox have no answer on the farm. A young C like Plawecki or Norris would be the answer for CWS. I could see 2-3 (Erik Johnson, Engel, Sanchez) prospects getting these deals done. Todd Frazier is a pipe dream that CWS has virtually no shot with (I'd offer Adams, Michalczewski, Hawkins, Beck for). Danks and LaRoche both off books. My dream 2017 WS Champion CWS:

C: Plawecki, AJ

1B: Abreu

2B: Johnson

3B: Frazier

SS: Anderson, Ramirez (diminished role)

OF: Eaton, Melky, Avi, Thompson

Rotation: Sale, Montas, Quintana, Fulmer, Rodon

Pen': Robertson, Duke, Jones, Webb, Putnam, Albers, Danish, Jennings

Lineup: Eaton, Anderson, Melky, Abreu, Frazier, Avi, Thompson, Plawecki, Johnson

I bet Cinci would take that trade. I'd start with less, and think it could get done for less.

Keep Sanchez. Trade Micah if he has any value in a move, if not, just keep him. Montas should be available IMO. Trance should be far from untouchable, but you need to get something legit to be moving him after his debut.

Other than that, I like it, and think it's a fairly realistic guess at what the 2016 roster should look like, sans Anderson, if the Sox want to reload. I also see the Sox picking up someone like Fowler or Jackson or if had already made those moves.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 30, 2015 -> 10:43 PM)
I'm just not sure the White Sox are going to be willing to shell out $10+ million for Fowler.

Jackson's probably the better buy low candidate, like Rasmus last offseason. Better defender and younger.

Also barely above replacement level. So he'll fit right in.

QUOTE (Baron @ Oct 30, 2015 -> 11:06 PM)
Also barely above replacement level. So he'll fit right in.

This always goes back to player development.

Being forced to spend more than you want on Free Agents....Jackson and Fowler and Rasmus and Rios all end up in that $10-15 million second tier range that doesn't even guarantee replacement level production.

So you're constantly stuck with contracts you can't get rid of...and which end up blocking playing time for younger players who can actually be a part of the long-term plan.

Lucroy

Build the organization, please.

Get solid at 3B, SS, 2B, LF, RF, bench, set up man in pen, and then talk about throwing prospects at heroes.

As for Fowler. Do people really want to weaken this atrocious OF defense even further? File him in the same Cubbie hype file in which "Starlin CAstro was great in 2015" resides.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 30, 2015 -> 09:21 AM)
We can make excuses for a lot of things, but over 7 minor league seasons he hit .241 with a .319 OBP.

He may be the rare guy that does better in the majors than the minors, but the odds are against it.

No reason not to find out.

It's not like he hit .660 OPS and we're saying "he's young and could improve."

If the Sox won't play a young player who raked like he did AND is far better defensively than anyone in the OF, when will they go into a season confident with a young player?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 2, 2015 -> 04:49 PM)
MLB Trade Rumors ‏@mlbtraderumors 50m50 minutes ago

#Orioles figure to make three qualifying offers, as @Buster_ESPN reports they plan to make QO to Matt Wieters. Read: http://bit.ly/1Q2zrFX

If the team is willing to give up a 2nd round pick this news probably makes him cheaper fiancially.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 2, 2015 -> 05:22 PM)
Yeah, this certainly changes his market a bit. He'll get stung pretty good by the compensation attached but there will surely be a team who has a scouting department in love with Wieters out there.

Hopefully not the Sox, I want them to have all the draft picks that they can get their hands on especially after loosing their second and third round picks last year.

• 2 weeks later...