Alex Gordon

Y2Jimmy0

According to Jon Heyman, the White Sox are one of the teams with interest in Alex Gordon. This is from his column: http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/jon-he...don-market-more

Gordon going?

Royals outfielder Alex Gordon, who according to sources will not exercise his $14-million player option, is expected to have a huge free-agent market. The Cubs, White Sox, Orioles and Astros are among teams rumored to have interest, but there will be many more.

However, the Royals are hoping to keep him, quite likely with an offer of about four years. Since he accepted a team-friendly four-year deal last time, there is reason to hope. And while he got only four while in his 20s, he can probably find five if he's open to leaving.

Is Kansas City able to offer him a QO after he doesn't exercise his deal?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's a nice piece to have on any team obviously but I'm not sure he's the big contract bat we need for this lineup. The $90+Mil he's likely to get is a break the budget move that may or may not even make us a playoff team in my opinion. I'd rather sign 2 starting position players for the $ Gordon will get

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Oct 31, 2015 -> 01:37 PM)
I know our outfield kinda blows, but why would you bring in a high cost FA like Gordon?

Because we desperately need an impact bat to pair with Jose. We'll either have to go out and sign a free agent or trade a f***ton of prospects to get one. There is no such player in the system that exists that's less than three years away unless Hawkins learns not to K at a 30% clip (not very likely).

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Oct 31, 2015 -> 02:01 PM)
He's a nice piece to have on any team obviously but I'm not sure he's the big contract bat we need for this lineup. The $90+Mil he's likely to get is a break the budget move that may or may not even make us a playoff team in my opinion. I'd rather sign 2 starting position players for the $ Gordon will get

Say Gordon gets $20M per year. Which two free agents would you rather sign for that money? Not sure that $20M goes as far as you think.

Royals are going to try to sign him. You would think the Royals would be able to come close to those other teams. Alex Gordon would be dumb to take 25 million from the Cubs if the Royals are giving him 20 over 4 years.

How much money can you spend?? At some point you have to give the Konerko discount when you are old, like Gordon. If KC wraps up this WS title, Gordon will have Brett/Len Dawson status in this town. That means about 35 years of being an icon and making money off your name once you retire.

If he leaves KC he's a fool. ... Now if KC blows this Series it's a different story. Fans will be pissed at the whole team and he should take every red cent the Cubs offer.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 31, 2015 -> 03:08 PM)
Say Gordon gets $20M per year. Which two free agents would you rather sign for that money? Not sure that $20M goes as far as you think.

Howie Kendrick to start at 2B for 8 or 9 mil per + Garrardo Parra, Austin Jackson, Ah-Seop Son, Jon Jaso, David Freese....

And depending on which guys you go with you might be able to get a good 2nd lefty for the pen too.

I honestly do not see Alex Gordon as the bat this offense needs to get over the hump. If we were to sign him and no other major additions I still don't see us as a playoff team

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Oct 31, 2015 -> 03:39 PM)
Howie Kendrick to start at 2B for 8 or 9 mil per + Garrardo Parra, Austin Jackson, Ah-Seop Son, Jon Jaso, David Freese....

And depending on which guys you go with you might be able to get a good 2nd lefty for the pen too.

I honestly do not see Alex Gordon as the bat this offense needs to get over the hump. If we were to sign him and no other major additions I still don't see us as a playoff team

I think Kendrick gets $10M+ easy and I'm not sure those other guys are really upgrades over what we have already (Trayce in RF, Saladino at 3B). IMO, signing B & C tier free agents is a dangerous game as they have much less room to regress and still be productive players. We saw this ourselves with Melky & LaRoche last year.

Also, I'd rather have Upton over Gordon due to the age difference, but Alex is a tremendous all-around player with a great track record in the AL. He'd be a significant upgrade over Avi while taking some pressure off Abreu. Under no circumstance do I think Gordon alone makes us a playoff team, but add him or one of the other elite free agent OFs and trade for a good 3B (Frazier perhaps) and this team suddenly becomes very interesting, especially if you think some of the other position players can rebound/grow next year.

Sign Alex Gordon

Sign Justin Heyward

Trade LaRoche for a potato

Trade Melky for a mac & cheese dinner

Move Eaton to DH

OF defense of Gordon - Trayce - Heyward

???

Profit!

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 31, 2015 -> 04:04 PM)
I would pay Gordon for his defense alone. Our team has a great staff, we need to start making sure our great things are elite before we start weakening it to make our awful parts average.

In all seriousness the reason I'd pay Gordon or Heyward what they want is their defense would help our pitching staff out immensely.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 31, 2015 -> 04:59 PM)
I think Kendrick gets $10M+ easy and I'm not sure those other guys are really upgrades over what we have already (Trayce in RF, Saladino at 3B). IMO, signing B & C tier free agents is a dangerous game as they have much less room to regress and still be productive players. We saw this ourselves with Melky & LaRoche last year.

Also, I'd rather have Upton over Gordon due to the age difference, but Alex is a tremendous all-around player with a great track record in the AL. He'd be a significant upgrade over Avi while taking some pressure off Abreu. Under no circumstance do I think Gordon alone makes us a playoff team, but add him or one of the other elite free agent OFs and trade for a good 3B (Frazier perhaps) and this team suddenly becomes very interesting, especially if you think some of the other position players can rebound/grow next year.

I'm trying to list realistic options...you're shooting for the moon. Of course id love for us to get Gordon and Frazier too, but it's just not going to happen unfortunately.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 31, 2015 -> 01:37 PM)
Royals are going to try to sign him. You would think the Royals would be able to come close to those other teams. Alex Gordon would be dumb to take 25 million from the Cubs if the Royals are giving him 20 over 4 years.

How much money can you spend?? At some point you have to give the Konerko discount when you are old, like Gordon. If KC wraps up this WS title, Gordon will have Brett/Len Dawson status in this town. That means about 35 years of being an icon and making money off your name once you retire.

If he leaves KC he's a fool. ... Now if KC blows this Series it's a different story. Fans will be pissed at the whole team and he should take every red cent the Cubs offer.

They also had the A's and Reds pay the money remaining on the Zobrist and Cueto deals and sent more/better prospects.

Sure, their attendance gives some leeway but their media rights deal doesn't pay mearly as much...and that's where the big market teams are bringing in hundreds of millions alone before even opening the gates.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 31, 2015 -> 02:37 PM)

Seriously? Would it really be dumb to take that kind of money from a young team that made it to the NLDS this year? Come on Greg...

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Oct 31, 2015 -> 04:47 PM)
I'm trying to list realistic options...you're shooting for the moon. Of course id love for us to get Gordon and Frazier too, but it's just not going to happen unfortunately.

Why is Frazier unrealistic? You really don't think we have the chips to land him? I think his second half and limited control will bring down to his cost to a somewhat reasonable level (won't be cheap by any means though).

I get the argument that Gordon is unrealistic, but not when you're saying you'd rather spend the money he'd get on multiple free agent targets for the same amount of money. The payroll may or may not be a problem, way too early to say with any certainty. Gordon and Frazier would make about $28M combined in my scenario, which we should be able to afford with a moderate payroll increase (to about $135M). If not, there are some guys we could move to clear some space.

So again, I'll ask you what's so unrealistic about adding these guys. Go ahead and question if it's the best use of resources, but I don't see why it's a ridiculous proposal.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 31, 2015 -> 05:12 PM)
Why is Frazier unrealistic? You really don't think we have the chips to land him? I think his second half and limited control will bring down to his cost to a somewhat reasonable level (won't be cheap by any means though).

I get the argument that Gordon is unrealistic, but not when you're saying you'd rather spend the money he'd get on multiple free agent targets for the same amount of money. The payroll may or may not be a problem, way too early to say with any certainty. Gordon and Frazier would make about $28M combined in my scenario, which we should be able to afford with a moderate payroll increase (to about $135M). If not, there are some guys we could move to clear some space.

So again, I'll ask you what's so unrealistic about adding these guys. Go ahead and question if it's the best use of resources, but I don't see why it's a ridiculous proposal.

Especially since we need to have a big offseason.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 31, 2015 -> 07:12 PM)
Why is Frazier unrealistic? You really don't think we have the chips to land him? I think his second half and limited control will bring down to his cost to a somewhat reasonable (won't be cheap by any means though).

Sure Frazier could happen if we really wanted to. Signing 1 Gordon, Upton, Heyward? Nope, I really don't give it much a percentage of happening. Maybe 5%, maybe. The chances of both happening? 0%. The payroll won't be 135, nor will any of the big 3 be interested in coming to the white sox with the other offers that will be available. If we are getting a big bat Hahn will have to be creative with a trade package, I truly believe that. And even then I don't see us getting much more than a Todd Frazier type of bat.

We'll see what happens though. Trust me, I'll have no problem eating crow if Frazier and Gordon are wearing a sox uni next year

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Oct 31, 2015 -> 06:22 PM)
Sure Frazier could happen if we really wanted to. Signing 1 Gordon, Upton, Heyward? Nope, I really don't give it much a percentage of happening. Maybe 5%, maybe. The chances of both happening? 0%. The payroll won't be 135, nor will any of the big 3 be interested in coming to the white sox with the other offers that will be available. If we are getting a big bat Hahn will have to be creative with a trade package, I truly believe that. And even then I don't see us getting much more than a Todd Frazier type of bat.

We'll see what happens though. Trust me, I'll have no problem eating crow if Frazier and Gordon are wearing a sox uni next year

Not saying it's likely, as there are a lot of it's in the equation. Just don't think it's an unrealistic proposal like "sign Heyward" or "trade for Arenado". This isn't directed at you, but some people here we're incapable of signing a major free agent simply because we really haven't done so in the past. However, we have attempted to sign some big name free agents, with the offer made to Tanaka likely over $100M. It's going to happen at some point and likely in the near future. This organization has a huge incentive to build interest in the team, as their TV deal expires in a few years. To maximize the value of that new deal, they'll need to acquire some stars and/or build a winning club. That might mean dipping into their reserves for a few years to support a higher payroll in the short-run. I don't think a $135M payroll is out of the realm of possibility next year.