Four file for Free Agency

flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 2, 2015 -> 01:42 PM)
Albers, Beckham, Samardzija, and Soto filed for free agency.

40-man is at 34.

Free agents can start signing with new teams on Saturday.

Only ones I'd even think about bringing back are Soto as a back up and Albers.

Mark

Only ones I'd even think about bringing back are Soto as a back up and Albers.

Mark

Yeah I'd be working right now to get Albers signed. I wouldn't mind having Soto back but I'd wait to see what develops with outside options first and won't cry if he signs somewhere else. Samardzija will of course get the QO that he'll turn down and nobody is going to want Beckham.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 2, 2015 -> 04:17 PM)
Really...that quick you can sign with new teams? I always remembered a period where you had exclusive rights. Clearly I am remembering wrong. Off-season is going to get started quickly here.

Yeah it's only like a five-day window. For most teams, though, they can obviously start the negotiating process as soon as the regular season ends, even if they can't officially close the deal. In that sense, it's "effectively" a month.

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 2, 2015 -> 02:42 PM)
Albers, Beckham, Samardzija, and Soto filed for free agency.

40-man is at 34.

Free agents can start signing with new teams on Saturday.

Albers and Soto should be brought back, but, as well as Albers pitched, it should be on their terms. While I don't love their bullpen, and it take a hit losing a dependable guy like him, they need to spend their available money wisely.

If Flowers/Soto were the combo again, it's not exciting, but Flowers did get some credit for his framing skills and Soto hit the ball well. This position is going to be hard to fill so I'm resigned to what is currently in place.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 2, 2015 -> 04:27 PM)
Turner isn't going anywhere until at least the spring. Carroll could, but I don't see a compelling reason as of today. Beck is going no where.

Beck also hasn't pitched since June with elbow soreness. They probably don't need to protect him, but likely would just to make sure.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 2, 2015 -> 03:17 PM)
Really...that quick you can sign with new teams? I always remembered a period where you had exclusive rights. Clearly I am remembering wrong. Off-season is going to get started quickly here.

I love it and wish it could get started the day after the World Series.

Hahn has so much work to do to right this disaster, I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do. I really hope we look back on this offseason as the period of time Hahn began our turn around with shrewd FA pickups and trades

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Nov 2, 2015 -> 05:51 PM)
I love it and wish it could get started the day after the World Series.

Hahn has so much work to do to right this disaster, I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do. I really hope we look back on this offseason as the period of time Hahn began our turn around with shrewd FA pickups and trades

Even if it could, no one would sign today. It's not like someone is going to sign as soon as they are eligible anyway. Baseball off-season seems like the slowest one to develop out of the major professional sports.

I get your excitement in it starting though because this roster needs some work done.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 2, 2015 -> 07:46 PM)
Even if it could, no one would sign today. It's not like someone is going to sign as soon as they are eligible anyway. Baseball off-season seems like the slowest one to develop out of the major professional sports.

I get your excitement in it starting though because this roster needs some work done.

MLB absolutely starts slow. Wish it was like NFL and NHL, but winter meetings are tradition.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Nov 2, 2015 -> 04:25 PM)
Albers and Soto should be brought back, but, as well as Albers pitched, it should be on their terms. While I don't love their bullpen, and it take a hit losing a dependable guy like him, they need to spend their available money wisely.

I agree with this. Don't give him more than a couple million. He is replaceable.

I have no problem with Beckham returning. Look at the prospects we have in the wings and they aren't ready to step in at the major league level. Beckham fills the super sub role quite well IMO. Albers is another one we should consider, but not at a high price.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 3, 2015 -> 11:32 AM)
I have no problem with Beckham returning. Look at the prospects we have in the wings and they aren't ready to step in at the major league level. Beckham fills the super sub role quite well IMO. Albers is another one we should consider, but not at a high price.

Would rather just save the extra couple mil and use Leury

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 3, 2015 -> 10:32 AM)

QUOTE (Dunt @ Nov 3, 2015 -> 11:08 AM)
Would rather just save the extra couple mil and use Leury

Carlos Sanchez and Tyler Saladino are both far better options as utility men than either of those guys.