Four file for Free Agency

flavum

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 3, 2015 -> 12:11 PM)
Carlos Sanchez and Tyler Saladino are both far better options as utility men than either of those guys.

Agreed and I think one of them will become the utility infielder this offseason

Yep. Saladino is a better hitter than Beckham and his defense is almost as good. Plus he makes the minimum.

I'm not by any means arguing for keeping Beckham, but if you let Saladino start the season as a bench player with the Sox instead of as a starter at Charlotte, then the organization is admitting that they don't think Saladino will ever be more than a bench player. Now that may very well be true, but if the Sox think Saladino has the potential to be a major league starter, then he needs to be playing every day in Charlotte and someone like Beckham, who is known to be nothing more than a bench player, can fill that role on the Sox.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 3, 2015 -> 11:05 AM)
I'm not by any means arguing for keeping Beckham, but if you let Saladino start the season as a bench player with the Sox instead of as a starter at Charlotte, then the organization is admitting that they don't think Saladino will ever be more than a bench player. Now that may very well be true, but if the Sox think Saladino has the potential to be a major league starter, then he needs to be playing every day in Charlotte and someone like Beckham, who is known to be nothing more than a bench player, can fill that role on the Sox.

I kind of think the organization has a pretty good idea Saladino isn't anything more then a bench / utility guy. They were in a rock and a hard place last year and gave it a whirl. I like him off the bench and I like Sanchez off the bench. I still don't think either of them would be above average starters or even average starters. If I were going to pick one to be more average, it would be Sanchez but even then that is a struggle.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Nov 3, 2015 -> 01:22 PM)
Haha. Elrockin is taking that Beckham crush to the grave.

I'm so tired of seeing him on this team. He just epitomizes the post 2008 Chicago White for me. Mediocrity mixed in with BAD, and when you think it's all over......look who comes back for more terrible baseball!

Oh, may as well throw in the disclaimers:

Yes, it's not his fault the team has thrust him into a starting role

Yes, he's not responsible for poorly constructed teams

Yes, he's capable of playing multiple positions

I understand all the excuses. I just don't want to see him or hear his walkup music anymore. Atleast now we have better IF options and his exit (permanent this team) should be guaranteed