White Sox decline option on Alexei Ramirez

Whisox05

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hypothetically speaking, if the Sox and Alexei discussed a deal to come back prior to declining the option but he wanted a 2 or 3 year deal worth around 18-30 mill (more guaranteed money than accepting a QO) would it be smart to offer him a QO knowing he's seeking a multi-year deal? I'm not advocating doing it but it's something that could be talked about or debated on here.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Nov 5, 2015 -> 10:24 AM)
Not sure if this is new or not, but Baseball Reference has added a "Projection" for him in 2016. This is their projections.

.261, 10HR, 56RBI. .297OBP, .376SLG, 17SB.

To me this looks most like the 2012 Alexei performance. (minus the RBI drop off)

Do they have a Tyler Saladino one?

Just saying unless they have something up their sleeve I just don't see how Alexei doesn't win us more games next year than Tyler.

People discount those stats above. 17SB is nothing to sneeze about. His 33 doubles are nothing to sneeze about. He was tied for 23rd in the AL for doubles.

People above him in those top 23? Kipnis, Brantley, Donaldson, Altuve, Ortiz, Zobrist, Kinsler, Longoria, Abreu, Cano, Dozier, Cain, Moustakas ... you might have heard of those guys... ALL-STARS.

His stolen bases? Tied for 17th.

Cain, Altuve, Dyson, Andrus, Ellsbury, Gardner, Machado ... again .... very strong!

Someone else noted his BABIP being so below his career average. Bound to bounce back.

Someone else noted that his bounce back second half doesn't necessarily go hand in hand with falling off the map in one year.

Sorry, but Alexei is a strong player. When my team has Flowers, Sanchez, pick a awful 3rd baseman from a hat, Garcia, LaRoche etc. batting -- and probably with spots in the lineup next year? Spare me with the talk Ramirez doesn't have a spot for $9mm dollars. This team paid Emilio $4mm to sit at home, $4mm to Teahen to sit at home, Scott Linebrink $5mm to pitch awful, Jeff Keppinger $4mm to sit at home. So tell me where $9mm doesnt make sense? Even just from a marketing stand-point being one of the few long time Sox has value.

I'll have fun watching him bat .275, 10HR, 20SB and 302B next year for another team while Garcia strikes out again.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 5, 2015 -> 10:55 AM)
Hypothetically speaking, if the Sox and Alexei discussed a deal to come back prior to declining the option but he wanted a 2 or 3 year deal worth around 18-30 mill (more guaranteed money than accepting a QO) would it be smart to offer him a QO knowing he's seeking a multi-year deal? I'm not advocating doing it but it's something that could be talked about or debated on here.

Assuming $18-$30 would be his market, yes, I think making a QO would be the right call.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Nov 5, 2015 -> 11:25 AM)
Assuming $18-$30 would be his market, yes, I think making a QO would be the right call.

He may be a nice alternative for a team that misses out on Desmond. Would be crazy if we ended up getting 2 comp picks for next year.

Edited by soxfan2014

Why would the White Sox decline a $10 million option on Alexei, buy him out for $1 million, and then give him a QO?

It appears we have a poster or 2 that has a serious crack habit.

You don't pay $1 million to get out of a $10 million commitment, and then give something that is worth more than $15 million.

If the White Sox didn't want Alexei and thought he could get more than $10 million on the open market, they would have saved themselves $1 million, exercised the option, and traded him.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 5, 2015 -> 10:55 AM)

It would take Alexei approximately 1 second to accept a QO. Then the Sox would be stuck paying him $15+ million next year. Horrible idea. Even if he rejects it, nobody will sign him until the deadline passes. Nobody is giving up a 1st round draft pick to sign Alexei Ramirez.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 5, 2015 -> 11:50 AM)
Why would the White Sox decline a $10 million option on Alexei, buy him out for $1 million, and then give him a QO?

It appears we have a poster or 2 that has a serious crack habit.

You don't pay $1 million to get out of a $10 million commitment, and then give something that is worth more than $15 million.

If the White Sox didn't want Alexei and thought he could get more than $10 million on the open market, they would have saved themselves $1 million, exercised the option, and traded him.

This was all under the assumption that they knew he'd decline it due to wanting more guaranteed money (not more annually than the QO but still more than he could make accepting a QO, sucking, and then finding no work next season).

I know it won't happen either but it was just a topic I felt like bringing to the table. I'm actually one of the few in here that believes he will re-sign with us on a year (with option possibly) deal.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 5, 2015 -> 12:09 PM)
This was all under the assumption that they knew he'd decline it due to wanting more guaranteed money (not more annually than the QO but still more than he could make accepting a QO, sucking, and then finding no work next season). I know it won't happen either but it was just a topic I felt like bringing to the table. I'm actually one of the few in here that believes he will re-sign with us on a year (with option possibly) deal.

If you think he will re-sign for a year, why wouldn't you think he wouldn't take the $15.8 million QO? Plus the million, that would be almost $17 million for 1 year.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 5, 2015 -> 12:09 PM)
This was all under the assumption that they knew he'd decline it due to wanting more guaranteed money (not more annually than the QO but still more than he could make accepting a QO, sucking, and then finding no work next season).

I know it won't happen either but it was just a topic I felt like bringing to the table. I'm actually one of the few in here that believes he will re-sign with us on a year (with option possibly) deal.

If he rejected a QO he would have trouble finding work in 2016 because no team would give up a draft pick to sign him.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 5, 2015 -> 12:13 PM)
If you think he will re-sign for a year, why wouldn't you think he wouldn't take the $15.8 million QO? Plus the million, that would be almost $17 million for 1 year.

It was a scenario (like I explained if you actually took the time to read the original post) where Alexei made it clear he wanted a multiyear deal and wouldn't negotiate a one year deal at a reduced cost and they talked about it when discussing a new deal for next season before declining the option. Being far apart, they decide to offer a QO knowing he wants more than 1 yr/15.8 mill (maybe he thinks he can get 2-3 years 18-30 mill on the open market? Fa market isn't exactly good for infielders).

I'm not saying this is what happened and in all likeliness didn't, but it was an angle I felt like tossing out there.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 5, 2015 -> 12:19 PM)
They can't decline his option and then offer him a QO anyway. Doesn't work that way.

Oh that only applies to player options? Then this whole discussion is moot anyway. I really just got bored at work (first full time finance job stuck at a desk all day) and it crossed my mind.

Back on topic: Alexei will re-sign with the Sox.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 5, 2015 -> 12:20 PM)
Oh that only applies to player options? Then this whole discussion is moot anyway. I really just got bored at work (first full time finance job stuck at a desk all day) and it crossed my mind.

Back on topic: Alexei will re-sign with the Sox.

Yeah. I think Royals can give QO to Gordon after he declines player option. Team cannot decline team option and then offer QO.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 5, 2015 -> 01:13 PM)
Yeah. I think Royals can give QO to Gordon after he declines player option. Team cannot decline team option and then offer QO.

According to this, rejecting an option (team or player) doesn't prevent a team from offering a QO.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/10/expl...fer-system.html

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 5, 2015 -> 12:20 PM)
It was a scenario (like I explained if you actually took the time to read the original post) where Alexei made it clear he wanted a multiyear deal and wouldn't negotiate a one year deal at a reduced cost and they talked about it when discussing a new deal for next season before declining the option. Being far apart, they decide to offer a QO knowing he wants more than 1 yr/15.8 mill (maybe he thinks he can get 2-3 years 18-30 mill on the open market? Fa market isn't exactly good for infielders).

I'm not saying this is what happened and in all likeliness didn't, but it was an angle I felt like tossing out there.

Again, the White Sox held all the cards. If a team wanted to give Alexei more than the QO and relinquish a draft pick, the White Sox certainly wouldn't have spent $1 million buying him out. They simply would have exercised the option and traded him, saving $1 million and adding talent to the organization. If you don't want to pay a guy $10 million and are willing to pay $1 million to get out of it, you don't go risking almost $16 million to hopefully obtain another draft pick.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 5, 2015 -> 01:26 PM)
Again, the White Sox held all the cards. If a team wanted to give Alexei more than the QO and relinquish a draft pick, the White Sox certainly wouldn't have spent $1 million buying him out. They simply would have exercised the option and traded him, saving $1 million and adding talent to the organization. If you don't want to pay a guy $10 million and are willing to pay $1 million to get out of it, you don't go risking almost $16 million to hopefully obtain another draft pick.

I guess that's a good point. They could have picked it up and moved him for anything.

Alexi came to our White Sox in 2006 and has been here ever since. Time for this era in White Sox History to close.

We don't have great other options, but how many teams have great SS options? It's pretty much become a bottom barrel position. Find someone who can field, run, bunt and make contact. They can be our 9th best hitter as long as they can field, run & sacrifice.

Now, if the White Sox sign Alexi to a 1 year

I'm not sure a guy creeping towards his mid 30s (and is probably older than he says) is going to be looking for a 1 year deal if it's less than that. Might be his last major league guaranteed contract. Someone, probably a NL team, will be more than happy to offer him 3/18 because of his hitting resume and the TV contracts inflating salaries.

2 years can't be an option for us, that would just show the world how stubborn and committed to the train wreck this front office is currently.