White Sox decline option on Alexei Ramirez

Whisox05

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 12:23 PM)
I'd like him here one more year to let Anderson develop more.

Anderson would be terrible if he played in the MLB full time next year. He's too raw.

Absolutely agree. Anderson needs more time and Alexei bridges that gap.

Ladies & Gents - This was a pretty foregone conclusion. The option was > then his perceived market value. This does not mean the Sox aren't going to try and resign Alexei to a 1yr deal less then the option (or a 2 year deal even). If I were betting, I'd say odds are greater than Ramirez is a Sox next year vs. playing somewhere else.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 12:28 PM)
Time to move on. Can't keep running the same guys out there year after year and expecting an improved result.

Go with Saladino or Sanchez and spend the money to get a third baseman or a catcher.

What do you think Alexei is worth on the open market? Will teams really offer him $7 or 8 million a year? I'm thinking half of that. I don't think the White Sox would have declined the option to save a million or 2. They probably would have tried to negotiate it, but if they couldn't, I think they just would have picked it up.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 01:31 PM)
What do you think Alexei is worth on the open market? Will teams really offer him $7 or 8 million a year? I'm thinking half of that. I don't think the White Sox would have declined the option to save a million or 2. They probably would have tried to negotiate it, but if they couldn't, I think they just would have picked it up.

I agree. I could see him coming back at 1 year $5 mil.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 10:31 AM)

I think Sox will eventually offer him something in neighborhood of 2yr 8-10M or so. Might be a 1yr deal with an option / buy-out as well. But I don't think anyone was coming close to his current option. Would seem that Anderson is the future plan for SS so club would use Ramirez as a stopgap solution. Of course Hahn could have other things on his mind and go a different route (using Anderson as trade bait for viewing him more as a 2B).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 12:38 PM)
The value of a SS on the open market has changed a TON since 2009.

Not 34 year olds with declining offensive and defensive production.

In fact, I would say, the over 30 crowd is probably having a harder time getting a big payday than their steroid era counterparts.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 12:34 PM)
I agree. I could see him coming back at 1 year $5 mil.

That's close to or less than Bonifacio.

No way he accepts that type of blow to his pride. It has to be in the $6.5-8.5 million range for two years.

A lot of conjecture that Desmond will get significantly more than that, but probably not from us.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 10:41 AM)
Not 34 year olds with declining offensive and defensive production.

In fact, I would say, the over 30 crowd is probably having a harder time getting a big payday than their steroid era counterparts.

You are probably right, that it could be closer to 3-4 M. I presume somewhere in the deal their will be an option for the 2nd year (if he signs with the Sox). In terms of the market, I agree that in general, aging players are having a hard time getting bigger contracts as people are aging more normally (vs. during the steroid era). Both OC and Alexei are good comparisons as neither was ever the best shortstop in baseball, but both were widely viewed as upper echelon guys during chunks of their career. That said, 3-4M puts him at utility costs (of some guys) so I do think he gets a tick more then that (or at least has some incentives that could push the value up).

If they don't already have a gentleman's agreement in place to bring him back for a lower amount for like 2 years at $7M or so then this was simply a bad move by the Sox. We don't have anyone ready to step in and Tim Anderson is at least 1-2 years away from being ready