2015 MLB Offseason activity thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 21, 2015 -> 11:33 AM)
I'd take that deal.

I also came across an article about which players the Astros are likely to lose during Rule V draft. Maybe we could grab another one or two to go along with Lowrie (offsets a little cash/can plug in at third or short) in a deal (along with someone protected like Musgrove).

http://climbingtalshill.com/2015/11/21/hou...n-rule-v-draft/

Great find! Doubt he will be there when the Sox pick but I'd be all over Applin with his high OBP, base stealing and LHB.

I think Lawrie is the 3B Houston would likely want to trade for Robertson due to his salary and contract. He would still be a cheaper option for the Sox at 3B than Freese. Lawrie's contract is unusual in that it's a deflating contract which is rare. I'd take him.

Heck, I'd offer Robertson + reliever or EJ for Lawrie/ Musgrove/Applin. Doesn't sound too far off.

Edited by BlackSox13

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 21, 2015 -> 12:14 PM)
Great find! Doubt he will be there when the Sox pick but I'd be all over Applin with his high OBP, base stealing and LHB.

I think Lawrie is the 3B Houston would likely want to trade for Robertson due to his salary and contract. He would still be a cheaper option for the Sox at 3B than Freese. Lawrie's contract is unusual in that it's a deflating contract which is rare. I'd take him.

Heck, I'd offer Robertson + reliever or EJ for Lawrie/ Musgrove/Applin. Doesn't sound too far off.

Are you thinking of Brett Lawrie or Jed Lowrie? Lawrie is with Oakland.

QUOTE (coco1997 @ Nov 21, 2015 -> 12:27 PM)
Are you thinking of Brett Lawrie or Jed Lowrie? Lawrie is with Oakland.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 21, 2015 -> 12:31 PM)
I think he means Lowrie but is typing Lawrie. He has his contract details right anyway haha

Oops. Yep, meant Lowrie lol. For some reason I always confuse the spelling of those two players. DOH!

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 21, 2015 -> 11:26 AM)
Just guessing but I think the Astros would want to relieve some salary in return for taking on Robertson's contract. I suspect either Lawrie or Valbuena would be part of the return for Robertson, which I would be fine with. I'm probably off way base here but I'd shoot for Lawrie or Valbuena + Musgrove.

Lowrie and Valbuena (another low OBP player) are filler players. They'll nudge the Sox to 78 wins, although the loss of Robertson would nudge us back down.

Rather get a good prospect, preferably one that's close to majors.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 22, 2015 -> 10:51 AM)
Lowrie and Valbuena (another low OBP player) are filler players. They'll nudge the Sox to 78 wins, although the loss of Robertson would nudge us back down.

Rather get a good prospect, preferably one that's close to majors.

I would rather get a close to MLB ready prospect too but we can't expect much given the amount of money Robertson makes and that there are some cheaper closer options available. I'm not getting my hopes up, that's for sure.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 22, 2015 -> 12:50 PM)
I would rather get a close to MLB ready prospect too but we can't expect much given the amount of money Robertson makes and that there are some cheaper closer options available. I'm not getting my hopes up, that's for sure.

If you're not going to get a long-term piece back for Robertson, there's no reason to move him. Moving him for a guy who can fill a hole right now makes no sense as it opens up another hole. May as well hold him and see if someone gets more desperate if you can't get something at the minor league or pre-arb level for him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 22, 2015 -> 01:11 PM)
If you're not going to get a long-term piece back for Robertson, there's no reason to move him. Moving him for a guy who can fill a hole right now makes no sense as it opens up another hole. May as well hold him and see if someone gets more desperate if you can't get something at the minor league or pre-arb level for him.

In this particular case, Lowrie would fill the void at 3B and be an upgrade at that position for the Sox. Freeing up Robertson's salary allows the Sox to have more money to fill other positional needs. Houston is leaving a few interesting players unprotected for the rule five draft so they could be a part of the return as well. I'm just saying that I don't see Houston giving up a prospect such as Moran for a costly closer like Robertson. Other pieces besides Lowrie are certainly possible.

Imo, I would rather explore a move like this than trading a SP. Sure, trading a SP like Q would net a bigger return but it would open up an even bigger hole and a pitcher of Q's caliper is not so easily replaced. I'm just trying to think of alternative ideas to trading a SP which thankfully the Sox seem reluctant to do.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 25, 2015 -> 10:44 AM)
Jed Lowrie traded back to As. Astros and As love that guy.

He was superfluous with Astros. Probably trying to free up salary to bring in good 1B.

I recommend Adam Laroche.

I read a fan on another message board say this may mean they dfa Valencia soon. I would scoop him up.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 25, 2015 -> 01:01 PM)
The A'a designated AJ Griffin. Wouldn't mind the Sox adding him for some depth if he's healthy.

They released him. He was a home run derby pitcher when he was healthy. I don't think even if he got close to healthy he would work with the White Sox. I also don't think he would be released if he could be close to healthy.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 25, 2015 -> 01:26 PM)
They released him. He was a home run derby pitcher when he was healthy. I don't think even if he got close to healthy he would work with the White Sox. I also don't think he would be released if he could be close to healthy.

Good catch, I confused him with the Coulombe designation. Good points about Griffin though.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 27, 2015 -> 10:27 PM)
The Jays now have their very own John Danks, for less money. :P

I was thinking the exact same thing.

If they blew $36 million on Happ, why didn't they try to save the money and then go after Price?

Yes, I realize that $36 and $200+ million are very different contracts, but the Jays already have enough #4-#5 starter types. They need an ace.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Nov 28, 2015 -> 10:48 AM)

If they blew $36 million on Happ, why didn't they try to save the money and then go after Price?

Yes, I realize that $36 and $200+ million are very different contracts, but the Jays already have enough #4-#5 starter types. They need an ace.

They really do need an ace and they could have gone after Jordan Zimmermann who should be cheaper than Price. Then again, I don't know much about the Jays finances either.

I'm quite surprised they didn't go after Samardzija. Maybe Samardzija's asking price is too much?

There's nothing impressive about that rotation when looking beyond Estrada and Stroman. The Jays offense will need to continue mashing to win games.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Nov 28, 2015 -> 10:48 AM)

I hear that Marcus Stroman kid is pretty good.