The Sox Were REALLY Bad at Defense

Dunt

The more I think about it, I'm all for giving Thompson a look in CF, sliding Eaton over to LF, & moving Melky to DH. We'd still need to add a strong two-way player for RF and dump LaRoche, but that would greatly improve our outfield defense vs. last year. Just have a bad feeling Avi is still in the plans for RF.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 11, 2015 -> 07:14 AM)
The more I think about it, I'm all for giving Thompson a look in CF, sliding Eaton over to LF, & moving Melky to DH. We'd still need to add a strong two-way player for RF and dump LaRoche, but that would greatly improve our outfield defense vs. last year. Just have a bad feeling Avi is still in the plans for RF.

I think Eaton could handle RF. His arm is extremely good for being a slappy lead-off man (I know he's not that, but still. Better arm than you imagine looking at him).

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 11, 2015 -> 07:14 AM)

I've said it once and I will say it again: Jason Heyward makes way too much sense for the Sox. I know it's a massive pipe dream, but if they were to sign him and somehow trade LaRoche, an alignment of Eaton-Thompson-Heyward would be a massive jump in DRS for our outfield. I dont see a lot of balls dropping in that outfield.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 11, 2015 -> 07:53 AM)
I think Eaton could handle RF. His arm is extremely good for being a slappy lead-off man (I know he's not that, but still. Better arm than you imagine looking at him).

Eaton has a pretty average to below average arm in the time I've watched the Sox. He fits best in LF.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Nov 11, 2015 -> 08:08 AM)
Eaton has a pretty average to below average arm in the time I've watched the Sox. He fits best in LF.

That's why I advocate trading him. His defense is not good and we got what I believe is a career year offensively out of him. And he clowns it up too much.

If I'm hero worshiping, Heywars in right Thompson in center Avi in left. I just don't see Heyward as an elite bat.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 10:16 PM)
Tyler Flowers was our best defender:

http://sabr.org/sdi/2015-final

If the Sox want to get better quickly this offseason, first order of business is the outfield defense. Absolutely atrocious showing by those 3 in 2015.

Thanks for this link. A little surprised Sanchez didn't do better.

I've been favoring a quiet offseason for the Sox focused more on building for the next couple years, but man I wouldn't mind having Heyward. Throw everything at him, he'll probably opt out when he's 31 anyway.

Keuchel being leagues ahead of every other pitcher is interesting.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Nov 11, 2015 -> 09:05 AM)
Thanks for this link. A little surprised Sanchez didn't do better.

I've been favoring a quiet offseason for the Sox focused more on building for the next couple years, but man I wouldn't mind having Heyward. Throw everything at him, he'll probably opt out when he's 31 anyway.

Keuchel being leagues ahead of every other pitcher is interesting.

I think Keuchel's rating has to do largely with his GB%

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 11, 2015 -> 02:41 PM)
That's why I advocate trading him. His defense is not good and we got what I believe is a career year offensively out of him. And he clowns it up too much.

If I'm hero worshiping, Heywars in right Thompson in center Avi in left. I just don't see Heyward as an elite bat.

i disagree and for this main reason, his offense.

until the sox can really establish a #1 type of hitter in the big leagues the team needs a #1 hitter.

now if he had better players on either side, then the look will be different. mean the defense.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 11, 2015 -> 03:04 PM)
This is why I am more optimistic about 2016 than most. There is a lot of low hanging fruit for the team to make big improvements on. Defense is one spot. We also have multiple spots with really bad offense that could take a quick leap forward depending on what we can bring in.

not bad.... i like the analogy . creative.

great job.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Nov 11, 2015 -> 04:16 AM)
Tyler Flowers was our best defender:

http://sabr.org/sdi/2015-final

If the Sox want to get better quickly this offseason, first order of business is the outfield defense. Absolutely atrocious showing by those 3 in 2015.

i really think the first order of business is a 3b man then maybe a outfield in the others needs to address.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 11, 2015 -> 09:43 AM)
You can be critical overall of his defense but he certainly does not have a below average arm.

Gotta disagree here. His arm is way below average for a RF. He occasionally got off some solid throws to third from left center that looked good, but if he is in RF, we will see a lot of first to third base running from the bad guys. He would be a very good LF, however, but then you have to find a CF who can hit a little bit, and that person is not now on the roster.

So Eaton will probably stay in CF for the duration.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 11, 2015 -> 07:04 AM)
This is why I am more optimistic about 2016 than most. There is a lot of low hanging fruit for the team to make big improvements on. Defense is one spot. We also have multiple spots with really bad offense that could take a quick leap forward depending on what we can bring in.

Yeah, except these problems are not new. They haven't addressed them for years.