The Sox Were REALLY Bad at Defense

Dunt

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 11, 2015 -> 09:41 AM)
That's why I advocate trading him. His defense is not good and we got what I believe is a career year offensively out of him. And he clowns it up too much.

If I'm hero worshiping, Heywars in right Thompson in center Avi in left. I just don't see Heyward as an elite bat.

Adam Eaton is a good baseball player locked up to a great deal. Those are not the type of players you trade, unless you get a lot in return.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 10:16 PM)
Tyler Flowers was our best defender:

http://sabr.org/sdi/2015-final

If the Sox want to get better quickly this offseason, first order of business is the outfield defense. Absolutely atrocious showing by those 3 in 2015.

How does Sanchez rank as a 2B? If Tryce Thompson is the CF, is that a projected upgrade overall or does moving Eaton to LF just hide another bad defender while only becoming average in CF?

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 11, 2015 -> 08:41 AM)
That's why I advocate trading him. His defense is not good and we got what I believe is a career year offensively out of him. And he clowns it up too much.

If I'm hero worshiping, Heywars in right Thompson in center Avi in left. I just don't see Heyward as an elite bat.

I still can't comprehend your hatred for Eaton but love for Avi.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Nov 11, 2015 -> 07:43 AM)
Gotta disagree here. His arm is way below average for a RF. He occasionally got off some solid throws to third from left center that looked good, but if he is in RF, we will see a lot of first to third base running from the bad guys. He would be a very good LF, however, but then you have to find a CF who can hit a little bit, and that person is not now on the roster.

So Eaton will probably stay in CF for the duration.

His arm was so way below average that he was one of only 15 outfielders in MLB to have a throw that hit 100 mph.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-outfiel...-who-threw-100/

3rd least runs scored and 4th lowest team OPS in all of baseball. Obviously there needs to be a balance, but defense would be the least of my worries if I'm Hahn. We play in a hitter friendly park in the AL, if we put these proposed defensive minded lineups of Eaton and Trayce in the same OF every night we are going to keep putting up putrid offensive #'s and have no shot. Just at a glance I see teams like Houston, Pit, and Texas getting by just fine without doing very well on D...at least according to these #'s.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Nov 12, 2015 -> 02:07 PM)
3rd least runs scored and 4th lowest team OPS in all of baseball. Obviously there needs to be a balance, but defense would be the least of my worries if I'm Hahn. We play in a hitter friendly park in the AL, if we put these proposed defensive minded lineups of Eaton and Trayce in the same OF every night we are going to keep putting up putrid offensive #'s and have no shot. Just at a glance I see teams like Houston, Pit, and Texas getting by just fine without doing very well on D...at least according to these #'s.

I agree here. Hahn even said it during the season. They are so bad offensively that the other areas stand out. If they hit all year, the defense wouldn't have been focused on as much.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Nov 12, 2015 -> 03:28 PM)
Last I checked saving a run defensively is equal to creating a run offensively. Defense definitely shouldn't be least of our worries, it's just as important as improving the offense.

So let's build a team and try to win every game 3-1? Never going to work. If we played in the NL west, maybe, but If we don't put up at least 100 more runs than we did last year it doesn't matter if we have a gold glover at every position.