Garcia needs to improve recognition

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 12, 2015 -> 02:17 PM)
MLB Network PR ‏@MLBNetworkPR 55m55 minutes ago

Todd Steverson on Avisail Garcia:"His plate recognition needs to improve..if that improves, we've got a heck of a player." #MLBNow @whitesox

That was the case when they got him. And I feel likes it gone more backwards than forwards.

Will his plate recognition improve in a part-time or bench role, if still with the White Sox?

Right now, the starting OF could be Eaton, Thompson and Cabrera; there are plenty of at-bats on the current roster if he's filling a 4th OF spot and being a part-time DH, but he's probably closer to being off the roster than solidifying a starting job.

Pitch recognition is one of two key problems for him as a hitter, though. It's also his swing plane - he slices down on nearly everything, and when he does try to loft he tops it. Both need fixing. And none of that addresses his defense of course.

I don't see him putting it together. I hope I'm wrong. But for me, if he can be optioned down to AAA, I do it. If he can't, I see if he can bring back something in trade.

How quickly we give up on talent. Garcia has been injured and last season was really his first full season with us. The hitting coach sees something he can work with and I remember Garcia himself saying he knows he has to improve. Identify what that is, as has apparently been done, and let's see what happens. Everybody talks about a rebuilding and Garcia is also a part of that as any young player might be as they gain experience. I know we all want our players to bat 1.000 with 100 homers, but that isn't going to happen. Let's be a bit more patient and supportive.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 12, 2015 -> 10:52 PM)
How quickly we give up on talent. Garcia has been injured and last season was really his first full season with us. The hitting coach sees something he can work with and I remember Garcia himself saying he knows he has to improve. Identify what that is, as has apparently been done, and let's see what happens. Everybody talks about a rebuilding and Garcia is also a part of that as any young player might be as they gain experience. I know we all want our players to bat 1.000 with 100 homers, but that isn't going to happen. Let's be a bit more patient and supportive.

maybe someone with baseball experience can answer this, is there a way to help improve pitch recognition?

Pitch recognition is incredibly difficult to learn in the majors. If that was his only flaw, I'd be all for giving him another season to see if he can take that next step. Unfortunately, his defense is so bad there simply isn't enough upside to warrant another 600 plate appearances. Given his tools, there's always a chance he puts it all together and makes you look stupid, but based everything we've seen the odds appear to be very small. Trade his ass while a more traditional front office still see potential.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 13, 2015 -> 02:30 AM)
Was the body of the article just "duh"

It's a huge weakness. He has no idea what's coming. He's a guess hitter

I have read comments from some real good hitters that their approach was to see ball-hit ball. I would suggest that maybe it's as much just having an idea of what pitch is coming at what time based on a pitchers strength and the hitters supposed weakness.

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 13, 2015 -> 11:51 AM)
I have read comments from some real good hitters that their approach was to see ball-hit ball. I would suggest that maybe it's as much just having an idea of what pitch is coming at what time based on a pitchers strength and the hitters supposed weakness.

Sure, but Avi is clearly not good enough to make that work. Could he become good enough? I guess it's possible, but there's no reason to suggest his talent/ability is just going to miraculously increase. If he's going to improve, it's going to have to be through approach/mechanics, and if he can't see the ball better, that's not going to happen.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 12, 2015 -> 07:54 PM)
maybe someone with baseball experience can answer this, is there a way to help improve pitch recognition?

At bats and video work. Knowing what pitchers like to throw in certain situations and being ready for it when you get it. This is what the knock on a lot of the guys that the Sox have acquired has been Mitchell, Walker, Hawkins, Jacobs, and Garcia, but they haven't shown much in the way of being able to help those players improve that at all.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 12, 2015 -> 04:30 PM)
Pitch recognition is one of two key problems for him as a hitter, though. It's also his swing plane - he slices down on nearly everything, and when he does try to loft he tops it. Both need fixing. And none of that addresses his defense of course.

I don't see him putting it together. I hope I'm wrong. But for me, if he can be optioned down to AAA, I do it. If he can't, I see if he can bring back something in trade.

We'll always have that one week in august where he fixed it.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 12, 2015 -> 02:30 PM)

I disagree and think he has made strides. He went on some really nice tears last season and for a stretch was leading the team in hitting. Love his work ethic and believe he's going to be a stud.