Jeff Samardjiza signs with SF Giants, 5/90.

southsider2k5

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 5, 2015 -> 12:39 PM)
Good

sox can bank that comp pick.

3 top 50s should really help the org.

Samardzija went to a team I like. Turnaround wouldn't surprise me. Just not a fit on the southside.

Green, I definitely agree with you on all counts. This might be the first time lol.

QUOTE (Saufley @ Dec 5, 2015 -> 12:44 PM)
I don't and I couldn't care less about the cubs and what they do! Post this on their message board!

Ok thanks for your input. Didnt realize that even if it's a good baseball move you cant post about it if it's about the Cubs.

QUOTE (Saufley @ Dec 5, 2015 -> 12:44 PM)
I don't and I couldn't care less about the cubs and what they do! Post this on their message board!

With the offseason the mlb section is temporarily closed. There will be general mlb talk including Cubs in the pale hose talk section. So enough of these comments.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 5, 2015 -> 12:46 PM)
Genuinely amazed anyone would want him let alone for this money. He got more after that season than was on the table beforehand. Good luck with this deal SF. I guess you've done that before with Zito.

For them, gambling on his durability, relative lack of miles on his arm, and some good years in 2013 and 2014, is worth it. They'll probably get 1000 innings and three good years...and that's enough for a team like the Giants.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 5, 2015 -> 12:46 PM)
Genuinely amazed anyone would want him let alone for this money. He got more after that season than was on the table beforehand. Good luck with this deal SF. I guess you've done that before with Zito.

He projects for ~3 WAR next year, so in that sense the contract isn't really that surprising.

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 5, 2015 -> 01:52 PM)
For them, gambling on his durability, relative lack of miles on his arm, and some good years in 2013 and 2014, is worth it. They'll probably get 1000 innings and three good years...and that's enough for a team like the Giants.

I get the logic, I think you're overestimating what he will do if you count the ballpark effect, but the only thing I can get from it again is that anyone who tries to build a team with FAs as a key component is out of their mind.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 5, 2015 -> 12:55 PM)
I get the logic, I think you're overestimating what he will do if you count the ballpark effect, but the only thing I can get from it again is that anyone who tries to build a team with FAs as a key component is out of their mind.

Well that doesn't really describe the Giants, but it did work out for the '09 Yankees.

Edited by OmarComing25

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 5, 2015 -> 01:46 PM)
Baseball 2015. Shark horrid with sox and gets rich five year deal. Hilarious. All that money for a bad bad pitcher

Giants fans are saying Righetti will fix him.......................................

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 5, 2015 -> 01:13 PM)
He really has only had 1 stellar season as a starting pitcher. I wouldn't want to owe him 90 million.

That and you had some bad signs from him like SO/9 going down and hits+HRs going up.

If the Giants sign a pitcher to a big deal, you can be sure that it won't work out. From what I've heard, Samardzja got the supposed 100 mil offer from Arizona, he put the announcement out there to get the Cubs attention. Cubs quickly decided they didn't want to pay that much to him. They signed Lackey. DBacks were able to quickly strike a deal with Greinke. Samardzja realized his two best suitors had just gone down the pipe really quick. Cardinals didn't formally make an offer to him. Unsure of contact with Dodgers at this time. SF checked in immediately after they found out about Greinke. Samardzja didn't expect to have to get a deal done until next week.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 5, 2015 -> 02:31 PM)
WhiteSox currently have picks #10 and #30. Looking like they'll be #10 and something around #25 overall.

Any idea on what can be available at that time? Sox really need to hit on those picks and hopefully they are hitters. Last hitter they've developed internally has been who? Carlos Lee??