Jeff Samardjiza signs with SF Giants, 5/90.

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 5, 2015 -> 02:31 PM)
Remember when posters on this site didn't want to give him a QO? Talk about dumb ideas.

Remember when posters on this site were sure the Sox would be able to extend his contract and he wouldn't go to free agency ? Just for s***s and giggles we need to revisit those threads just to humble some of us.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 5, 2015 -> 07:13 PM)
This proves by the way Hahn blew it last year a month before the trade deadline. Shark obviously has value and we could have gotten some talent for him, despite the fact I think he blows. Obviously there are teams out there that think Shark is worth five years and TOP dollar.

In all fairness to Hahn, it was rumored that Hahn wanted to deal Samardzija to the Jays in late June but KW wanted to wait and see if the team would come around. I do agree that the FO as a whole blew it so all we can do now is take that pick and hopefully draft a great prospect with it.

I am greatful Samardzija rejected the extension offer made by the Sox. Can you imagine how pissed all of us fans would be if he had accepted the offer which to my understanding was before he has his dreadful second half? Yikes. Danks 2.0.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 5, 2015 -> 07:28 PM)
Remember when posters on this site were sure the Sox would be able to extend his contract and he wouldn't go to free agency ? Just for s***s and giggles we need to revisit those threads just to humble some of us.

Well put. Hindsight is always 20/20. I was one of those fans that wasn't sure the Sox should extend the QO but that was based on Samardzija's ERA being above 5 and pitching like s*** at the time. Thankfully I was wrong in my thinking.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 5, 2015 -> 05:39 PM)
Well put. Hindsight is always 20/20. I was one of those fans that wasn't sure the Sox should extend the QO but that was based on Samardzija's ERA being above 5 and pitching like s*** at the time. Thankfully I was wrong in my thinking.

I'm almost always right so that's why I say revisit the threads. :P . I remember Rock Raines thought the Sox had a good chance to extend him and everyone jumped on board that idea since Rock used to have a contact that has since dried up. I don't think I ever thought he'd get extended. I mean ,seriously, common sense says when you got a shot for a mega contract odds are you go for it. Even his suck ass season didn't prevent him getting a pretty lucrative deal.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 5, 2015 -> 07:51 PM)
I'm almost always right so that's why I say revisit the threads. :P . I remember Rock Raines thought the Sox had a good chance to extend him and everyone jumped on board that idea since Rock used to have a contact that has since dried up. I don't think I ever thought he'd get extended. I mean ,seriously, common sense says when you got a shot for a mega contract odds are you go for it. Even his suck ass season didn't prevent him getting a pretty lucrative deal.

Lol, I'm going to take your advice and look back a few old threads for kicks. Should be good for some laughs.

I have to give Samardzija credit since he remained consistent with his going to FA. His insistence on going to FA is the biggest reason why I didn't want to trade for him in the first place when the discussion came up November '14. I know, its neither here nor there now and I promise I will get over it. :D

I think those spacious NLW ballpark's are a really good fit for him so he will likely pitch just fine.

I am really looking forward to June's draft now that the Sox have the comp pick. Hopefully the Sox draft wisely which I think they will.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 6, 2015 -> 02:35 AM)
I am greatful Samardzija rejected the extension offer made by the Sox. Can you imagine how pissed all of us fans would be if he had accepted the offer which to my understanding was before he has his dreadful second half? Yikes. Danks 2.0.

Good post. This is why baseball is so "funny." Sox fans realize Shark is horrific pitcher yet a team (Giants and their fans) are thrilled they got him for all that cash. Hilarious sport.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 6, 2015 -> 02:39 AM)

I was screaming for Sox to trade EVERYBODY including Shark, Robertson, LaRoche (ha), Melky, in a do-over from the offseason. I wanted Shark dealt well before the deadline. We were led to believe he wasn't going to bring ANYTHING of note. Then why the heck did the Giants pay top dollar for him??

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 5, 2015 -> 09:38 PM)
I was screaming for Sox to trade EVERYBODY including Shark, Robertson, LaRoche (ha), Melky, in a do-over from the offseason. I wanted Shark dealt well before the deadline. We were led to believe he wasn't going to bring ANYTHING of note. Then why the heck did the Giants pay top dollar for him??

Shark wasn't dealt because KW still wanted to go for it and because of the potential draft pick. Nobody ever said anything about no value.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 5, 2015 -> 07:35 PM)
In all fairness to Hahn, it was rumored that Hahn wanted to deal Samardzija to the Jays in late June but KW wanted to wait and see if the team would come around. I do agree that the FO as a whole blew it so all we can do now is take that pick and hopefully draft a great prospect with it.

And that's what needs to stop. Kenny Williams has been howling at the moon for the last 6 years, thinking this team is a contender. A ten game winning streak is just around the corner.

Hahn needs to be set free to do his job.

QUOTE (whtsoxfan @ Dec 6, 2015 -> 01:09 AM)
What do they mean in between first and second rounds?

There are 30 picks in the 1st round. Then there are 16 players that received QO's. It goes by order of record so Padres get 1st 2 comp picks (Kennedy, Upton) and the Sox get the 3rd pick (#33). 3 teams (Cubs, Giants, DBacks) have forfeited 1st round picks so far so the Sox have moved up to #30. Should keep moving up higher as well.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 6, 2015 -> 03:22 AM)
There are 30 picks in the 1st round. Then there are 16 players that received QO's. It goes by order of record so Padres get 1st 2 comp picks (Kennedy, Upton) and the Sox get the 3rd pick (#33). 3 teams (Cubs, Giants, DBacks) have forfeited 1st round picks so far so the Sox have moved up to #30. Should keep moving up higher as well.

Who cost the pick for the Cubs?

This outcome should please most. The sox got the draft pick for the rejected QO, Jeff S gets his fat payday, and Levineline gets to look like a chump. Again.

While I would have preferred he still be on the sox, he was never going to sign a deal before entering the open market. The funny thing is that he only got $5 million more for the 5th season from SF vs the original cubs extension offer of 4/85.

As for the chorus of "we shoulda traded im when he had a chance!", I think the offers were too s***ty for a guy that the sox could extract a draft pick from. He was a pure rental for any team getting him in june and july. There was no incentive to offer a serious prospect for a guy that you KNEW was going to hit the market, because he would not have a pick attached to his QO as a result of the trade. I simply don't believe Kenny was holding rick back from a trade with the blue jays, or any other team.