Should the White Sox and Rockies talk trade?

Whisox05

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 14, 2015 -> 12:20 AM)
McMahon is one of their top prospects, third baseman.

Thanks

Well, let's isolate a trade for him. He's obviously blocked. he's the guy we should look at. Montas? E JOhnson?

Cargo hit .238 in 2014. You just don't know what you're getting with some of these guys. Expecting 2015 is howling at the moon, especially with the Sox luck with "sluggers" Le Maheiu had OPS in the mid .600s in 2013 and 14. Lucky BAPIP last year.

Edited by GreenSox

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 14, 2015 -> 01:02 AM)
No, although I don't know anything about McMahon.

LaMaheiu had a career year with a 360 BAPIP.

Zero interest in trading good prospects for Coors Field Cargo

Much rather trade E Johnson for a young 3B or C and keep Montas, Trey and Micah.

You know I'm sure the Jays were too worried about getting Coors Field Tulo.

These guys are good hitters period. CarGo still hit 16 HR and 36 RBI on the road his avg is only .243 but he still would be a fine addition to the lineup. We'd also be upgrading 2B and have a 3B slugger waiting in the wings until '17 or '18. I don't think that's a bad deal at all.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 14, 2015 -> 01:36 AM)
Thanks

Well, let's isolate a trade for him. He's obviously blocked. he's the guy we should look at. Montas? E JOhnson?

Cargo hit .238 in 2014. You just don't know what you're getting with some of these guys. Expecting 2015 is howling at the moon, especially with the Sox luck with "sluggers" Le Maheiu had OPS in the mid .600s in 2013 and 14. Lucky BAPIP last year.

So you just look at his avg and not his 16 HR 36 RBIs? His road splits are better than LaRoches whole season and damn near better than Avi's season.

Hell go back to '13. CarGo hit better on the road including about 60 avg points better. I'm not saying he isn't helped by Coors statistically but he's no slouch on the road.

Edited by SouthSideSale

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Nov 13, 2015 -> 11:49 PM)
How about:

Sox get CarGo, LaMahieu and McMahon

Rockies get Montas, Erik Johnson, Micah Johnson, Avi and Trey M.

I would do that deal, but I don't think the Rockies would. There is no high-floor player in that group. Some nice ceilings in there, but nothing you can count on becoming an average major leaguer. I don't think they would give up 2 currently producing major leaguers, and a top prospect, for a bunch of "could be good" type guys. I mean, Erik Johnson is the surest player they get back, and he was GARBAGE pretty recently.

Edited by Chilihead90

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 14, 2015 -> 02:58 AM)
I would do that deal, but I don't think the Rockies would. There is no high-floor player in that group. Some nice ceilings in there, but nothing you can count on becoming an average major leaguer. I don't think they would give up 2 currently producing major leaguers, and a top prospect, for a bunch of "could be good" type guys. I mean, Erik Johnson is the surest player they get back, and he was GARBAGE pretty recently.

You could tweak the package. Throw in Danish or Adams or something like that.

Just look at 2014 CarGo stats he played fairly well in the first half with a .258/.307/.454 line and his BABIP wasn't insane (I don't think) at .301. His 2nd half number (not many games) were awful. .157/.232/.353 his BABIP was under .200. He was injured plus had terrible bad luck (I think). Looking at 2015 he started slow 2 months of bad numbers pretty much. .200/.247/.347 in April followed by a .235/.337/.318 in May. June on he was much better. Average slipped in August but still productive with the bat. His BABIP for the year was around .284. August it was .220 (a month where his average was low).

What is an average BABIP anyway? I know .390 is insanely high but .220 seems really low. I wouldn't mind getting CarGo in a trade depending if we aren't giving up like Q or something. His Home/Away splits are somewhat scary but most players do hit better at home just not to the extreme of Colorado players. He still hit 16 HR on the road and his career slash on the road isn't elite but it's .255/.310/.441 which I guess are of an average hitter? I would guess he'd still hit about .280+ at Home here. But it is difficult to guess that. Again as long as we aren't giving up a load for him I wouldn't hate it.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Nov 14, 2015 -> 02:53 AM)
You could tweak the package. Throw in Danish or Adams or something like that.

Sure throw in Adams. i.e. ravage the farm for 2 years of Coors Field Cargo.

The same kind of move as sending our top pitching prospect for Edwin Jackson...and, yes,, we were supposed to "flip" him for ....Adam Dunn!!! Yikes.

This stuff gets the Sox nowhere.

Sox don't have a lot in upper minors. Which is why we should keep our players in the lower minors.

Trade Q or sign a FA first.

Or try to get that 3B prospect

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 14, 2015 -> 07:22 AM)
Sure throw in Adams. i.e. ravage the farm for 2 years of Coors Field Cargo.

The same kind of move as sending our top pitching prospect for Edwin Jackson.

It gets the Sox nowhere.

Sox don't have a lot in upper minors. Which is why we should keep our players in the lower minors.

Trade Q or sign a FA first.

Or try to get that 3B prospect

Losing Daniel Hudson was a devastating blow to the White Sox. One in which they are still trying to recover. Once again, hero worshipping probably cost the White Sox 2 or 3 playoff appearances.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 14, 2015 -> 08:22 AM)
Sure throw in Adams. i.e. ravage the farm for 2 years of Cargo.

The same kind of move as sending our top pitching prospect for Edwin Jackson.

It gets the sox nowhere.

Much prefer signing FA if fans must have a hero security blanket.

Or if we must have Cargo (don't know why) prefer to send Q rather than our 2-5 prospects.

The deal is for more than cargo JFC. This team isn't signing a $100 mil OF according to the media. This deal would get us our impact bat, a plus defender in Mahieu and an awesome hitting 3B prospect.

That's why we're in the trade market.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Nov 13, 2015 -> 11:49 PM)
I always liked the Sox and Pirates as trade partners.

So do the Pirates. Wells and Fogg for some "#2 starter" whose name I can't remember and who couldn't get anybody out. Not one of KW's finest moves. But, it was a long time ago.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Nov 13, 2015 -> 07:35 PM)
Corey Dickerson career home/away splits

Coors Field: 1.095 OPS

Away: .695 OPS

Coors Field is a silly field.

I think there is an adjustment period when they leave Coors Field, which makes their road numbers even worse. It's something to keep in mind with the Rockies, I don't think their road numbers are an exact portrayal of how they would perform on a different team.

I'm very familiar with all Denver teams, having moved there in the early 70's. Rox would love to move Cargo, which would have been impossible if not for his large second half this year. It's no secret that they covet pitching. They love fast ballers, and so are intrigued with Montas. The two teams should be able to work around this and make a deal.

Cargo has obvious drawbacks. Large salary, injury history, and waaay too much swinging at first pitches out of strike zone. I don't care about the first two. It's not my money, and the injuries are unrelated. If Cargo were transplanted to a contender, I think the third drawback would cure itself. The money issue could be partially offset by dumping LaRoche. Rox could actually use him.

Cargo has obvious attractions. Power, speed, great defense at all three OF positions, he hustles, good teammate, etc. Chicago would love this kid.

So, Cargo for LaRoche and Montas might work. I personally think this is the right time to trade Montas. Sorry, I just wasn't that impressed. I could be wrong.

Rox will ask for more, of course. Give them a minor league pitcher; the article mentioned Lowry. Okay with me. But, Rox really want to move Cargo. They have a strong farm system and that includes a couple of OF's who are close to being ready. Rox are motivated, and they just might have a higher regard for Montas than anyone.

Jeez, Cargo would make the Sox a better team.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 14, 2015 -> 07:28 AM)
Losing Daniel Hudson was a devastating blow to the White Sox. One in which they are still trying to recover. Once again, hero worshipping probably cost the White Sox 2 or 3 playoff appearances.

I sure wish the Sox had the opportunity to repair Hudsons UCL two times.

However, I dont want the Sox to throw Adams into any deal right now, I do agree with Greensox on that matter.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Nov 14, 2015 -> 10:40 AM)
Again, why would the Rockies, or anyone, want LaRoche...

Hope for a bounceback offensive season from a guy who has a pretty good glove and a history of homerun power. Its really not that farfetched, and many batters have gone to Coors and put up pretty big numbers after down seasons

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Nov 14, 2015 -> 11:40 AM)
Again, why would the Rockies, or anyone, want LaRoche...

Because they'd probably rather pay a guy to actually play for them rather than just give us cash. There's no way we should/would take on Cargo's entire contract. Adding Laroche would just be a way of evening out the contracts a little

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 14, 2015 -> 10:02 AM)
I sure wish the Sox had the opportunity to repair Hudsons UCL two times.

yea, Williams knew that was going to happen.

Jackson

Swisher

Shark

Dunn

Those proven veterans.

Meanwhile, prospect for prospect gets you:

Quentin

Eaton

Davidson

I'll take the latter approach.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 14, 2015 -> 06:42 PM)

Jackson

Swisher

Shark

Dunn

Those proven veterans.

Quentin

Eaton

Davidson

Dye

Contreras

Loaiza

El Duque

There are plenty more heros that can be named, but you are welcome to focus on four that failed over 15 years. It is amusing that you use Davidson as a good thing

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 14, 2015 -> 06:42 PM)

Jackson

Swisher

Shark

Dunn

Those proven veterans.

Quentin

Eaton

Davidson

Davidson might not ever play MLB. You are the one Eaton isn't any good. Quentin was good but always hurt and would never play meaningful games if the White Sox did what you want them to do and always trade for prospects and always be in a perpetual rebuild.